Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2011   #256
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

As much as $123.75 plus $3.98 shipping on Abebooks.com
It's going to require a second mortgage before long!

~Dig
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #257
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsi View Post
Yeah, that will teach me to post in a thread just because the subject looks interesting, ha! When you first login here there's a list of the 5 latest threads posted in--that's how I ended up making a post here. Who do I think I am to speak for you telling someone what tomatoes appeal to your palate. Apologies.

I've just spent the better part of 2 hours reading the thread you referenced and then doing some google work and yes, this Goldman is not someone whose book I would pay 10 cents for and who cares what kind of tomatoes she likes. Google also produced a letter by Whealy--sha-zam--who knew there was such drama in the tomato garden. I'll try to do better job keeping on on the goings-on, the behind the scene stuff. Maybe I'll come here just to read and not post--seems the best way. I've got some great tomatoes growing this year and don't need a book to tell me which are good. If I really need some info PM's work just fine.

All the best to you.

Some google stuff I turned up--this must be what I was missing out on, not sure though:
http://www.pacificrimcoins.com/pacri...racy-un-treaty

http://helvena.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/seed-savers/
Absolutely no apologies needed at all, trust me on that.

And of course you shouldn't come here just to read you should be posting as well. It's much better to post and ask questions publicly than to PM different persons b'c you should want ALL the feedback you can get from anyone who has something to contribute to what you're asking about. And I hope you would want to share your gardening experiences with others.

Actually when folks PM me about something I usually ask them to post their own thread so they can get lots of opinions/answers, not just mine.

About background stories, goings on at SSE or anywhere else, and I mean the various message sites out there and what I call tomato politics, seldom does anyone know the whole story as in the full info from both sides.

As for me, I'm happy here at Tville b'c there's a great group of folks here from newbies to very experienced folks and folks with expertise in many different areas from tomato genetics, to lumens needed for this or that indoor growing to, well, almost anything. And folks from many countries which also is a real plus.

And I also like the fact that no discussions of partisan politics or religion are allowed b'c I've seen more friendships go sour b'c of those kinds of issues, and I also like the fact that this site is well moderated and those folks who can't or don't want to play well with others, move on, in one manner or another.

So come often, you've been here before, read and for heaven's sake post and share with all of us about your gardens and what you're growing.

My brother was here this past week, he and family moved to NC in 2005, and he drives up from NC thru PA and then through the Southern Tier of NYS and then over my way. All to say that I miss my time in the Ithaca/Rochester area and would love to get out there again but it just isn't going to happen.

So it's you folks in W NYS who have to keep us updated on the potato and onion fields, and when any Late Blight ( P. infestans), which usually originated in the potato cull piles out your way, so that we can do something with our tomatoes and potatoes ASAP. And Cornell has already sent out a LB alert for this season.

Not wanting to end on a downer subject such as LB, let me just add that I for one, am glad to see you back here again, b'c I do remember when you first appeared here the first time.
Old July 10, 2011   #258
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
As much as $123.75 plus $3.98 shipping on Abebooks.com
It's going to require a second mortgage before long!

~Dig
And I think I saw that someone had said they saw it offered for up to $300 and I don't know if that was new or used. Ridiculous, really.

I guess when my retirement money is close to being used up I can always sell those four new copies I still have in the back room.
Old July 10, 2011   #259
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Well I can see if one doesn't know the behind the scene stories it can be easy to insert foot--trust me Carolyn I have a whole new view point whether I wanted it or not. My reading of certain google material last night has me concerned about the seed stock at Seed Savers, now. It's better to be informed though. Never looking to offend anyone or talk politics--just eat tomatoes.

I'm going out to check my Purple Haze right now which promises a very good harvest this year!
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #260
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, sign a couple and see what you can get for them.

One of these days, I'm going to find some good chocolate, and bribe you into signing mine (my personal copy, not extras).
Old July 10, 2011   #261
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Carolyn, sign a couple and see what you can get for them.

One of these days, I'm going to find some good chocolate, and bribe you into signing mine (my personal copy, not extras).
Nope, I'm not signing and selling mine b'c I have a bad habit of misplacing stuff. At one time I had three copies of Vilmorin's great book and Jeff McCormack who owned SESE used to kid me about that each time I ordered a new one and Linda Sapp at TGS always sends me three copies of the catalog b'c she too knows I can't keep everything in one place and knows that I won't sit in front of the computer and look at seed sites unless I have to.

You don't have to bribe me to sign your book . I think I said in and earlier post here I'd be glad to do it and just this past week sent one back to a person in CA.

What I ask for is a prepaid mailer to send it back and some kind of small card, or similar that I can sign that you can attach to the inner green front flap back and then to whom the book should be signed to b'c sometimes someone would buy a copy as a present.

But not at the prices I've been seeing.
Old July 10, 2011   #262
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Well, funny that we're posting about this stuff at this moment. This morning I pulled out my Carolyn book - I was really looking for an aphid related answer,but got sidetracked by the gorgeous pictures (lol). I'm growing for the first time Big Rainbow and Black from Tula, which are both in the book. (Both are doing well so far.... the former with about 14 baby tomatoes, and the latter with 7 as we are only about 1/3 through the season in zone 6.) And that's where I discovered Eva Purple Ball, which is now on my list every year. It was so much fun to thumb through the book again. I can't tell you how many people I have mentioned Carolyn to. Many many thanks again.

Robbin
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #263
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I was just teasing you Carolyn, I do remember you said you would sign it. I just figured a chocolate bribe would be appropriate, even though not required.
Old July 11, 2011   #264
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

So, I wonder what it would take to get it on my Kindle?
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #265
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I picked up a new copy at the local independent bookstore last week. 5% of publishers list price plus I had a coupon for 20% off a gardening book, so walked away with it for about $17 including tax.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2011   #266
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

www.heirloomseeds.com has the book in stock for $18.95. I ordered it just under two weeks ago and received it today.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2011   #267
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
www.heirloomseeds.com has the book in stock for $18.95. I ordered it just under two weeks ago and received it today.

Thanks so much for that source b'c I never thought about Tom Hauch, who owns that seed company even listing books and when I looked, ja, there it was at the same price it should be, not hundreds of dollara as others have noted.

Good on Tom.
Old October 18, 2011   #268
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Just went to order.... There is a message on the website

"At this time we are dealing with a serious family medical problem and do not know when we will be taking orders again."

Hopefully everything turns out OK and they are back up and running soon.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2011   #269
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Two hours left - Carolyn's book is only $1.82!!!! Bid now!! (not my auction)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Heirloom...item25689251e7
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2011   #270
Too Tall Toms
Tomatovillian™

I found this book on Amazon for something like 30 bucks used. I ordered it and I can't wait till I get it.
Too Tall Toms is offline   Reply With Quote