Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2015   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, pretty simple explanation, as clkeiper points out. No use to over analyze it, or get all paranoid about some nefarious seed vendor or grower.

The tags are pre-printed, and the bottom part of the tag is printed en mass.

Then the printer had no more unprinted blanks, and simply used the tags with the pre-printed bottom portions, or did not reset the type to exclude the "F1" designation onto the unprinted blanks, and ran the lot as you see it.

Dumb mistake, but mistakes do happen. Printers are not necessarily hip to what's up in the tomato world. May even have been printed by a non-English speaking printer.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #17
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies.

To be clear, I felt from the start the F1 was probably just a typo, but wanted to makes sure their wasn't something about ML I didn't understand.

The mention in the text of this being an improved version of RC's ML also made me wonder if it might be something new. It has also crossed my mind that F1 might be there on purpose so folks won't be angry if they save seeds from this plant and get something unusual (not ML like) from them.

Anyway, I've never grown ML, so when the seedlings get a little bigger, in the big pots they go and we'll see what we get. I may post a few update photos as it goes along.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #18
luke
Tomatovillian™

By any chance did you buy those plants in south Mississippi? I see the same tags at my co-op.

If you're close enough, I'd be glad to share some ML that I've grown out from seed if you'd like to do a side by side comparison.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just thought I'd put up a link to the John Henry CO so you can see what kinds of labels they have, most pre printed but they also do custom labels as well.

http://www.jhc.com/Index.asp?Action=...ts&Category=18

I got involved with that company quite a few years ago when Johnny's no longer carried the marking pens I liked and someone said to check out the above company.

But here's what happened. After I ordered a few things I started getting personal calls at some ridiculous time in the AM, and I asked why the personal calls at that time of day and he said we do that b'c most of our customers are still at home then. Nice guy, really, but said if I needed something I could order it.

I don't remember where the original thread was, probably pre-2006 but that's when I found out from others that when they went to buy plants, these were some of the labels they found, but I never knew the label sources.

Tomato
Red
Pink
Yellow
Black
Orange
Cherry
Beefsteak
Paste

Gotta love it.

And why have I always remembered the John Henry name? Because the name of my paternal grandfather was John Henry Male.

Carolyn
Old March 28, 2015   #20
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks luke. I bought them in Jackson.

Appreciate the offer. I'm sure it will be ML but we shall see.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote