Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

View Poll Results: How much tomato could you eat during peak harvest (raw+cooked)?
Under 1 pound (454g) 6 13.95%
1 to 2 pounds (908g) 13 30.23%
2 to 3 pounds (1362g) 5 11.63%
3 to 4 pounds (1815g) 3 6.98%
Over 4 pounds (1815g+) 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27, 2015   #16
salix
Tomatovillian™

Worth, the trouble is that all of the new jars are thinner. I am so glad that I've had my mega dozens of jars for over thirty or forty years. Salt, try checking out local thrift stores - often one can find the old brands when people have had to clear out their households for whatever reason.
Old July 11, 2015   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Interesting how some of you can eat 4 1/2 pounds of tomato in a day.
I guess my limit is just about one pond , uncooked. But I use more in cooking, on the grill and with pasta dishes.

So , according to the survey I am in the bottom 16%.

Gadeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #18
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

What an informative thread.

I had a kidney stone once, and it was literally the most painful experience of my life. I say that with a background of being dead (kinda boring actually, but everything surrounding that was far too exciting) and being tortured after having been dead (PT). NEVER want to do that again.

More water - check
Cranberry pills - check
Many yummy tomatoes - check

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #19
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I am a tomato eating fool in season. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Always grazing on cherries between meals too.

Breakfast typically tomato and cottage cheese. Lunch a tomato sandwich of some type like a BLT or better yet just a LT. Dinner could be anything from a fresh made spaghetti sauce to a tomato soup or gazpacho to a roast with tomatoes carrots and potatoes. You name it everything is better with some kind of tomatoes! If I get too lazy to cook or make something I just eat them whole right in the field. Remember that movie Forest Gump and the guy Bubba who listed every way to eat shrimp? That's me with tomatoes!
Red, I do not know what post I read here but someone was raving about how good tomatoes paired with cottage cheese is.. I tried it, and I was so put off yet I love cottage cheese and tomatoes.. I would like to know how do you prepare yours? I sliced my tomatoes and put them on top of a small amount of the cheese. No salt, no seasoning. Maybe it is my preparation. Or, maybe it is just a combination I just will never like.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #20
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

HCWITHALTITUDE you can not leave us hanging, give up the story. Check on the tomatoes and water no cranberry. I did not plant enough tomatoes this year to eat as much as I would like. I am already planning next year so I can, can and eat more tomatoes. After I found this group so many tomatoes so little room.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now I am down in 13% minority ( aeting less than one pound per day)

Question to those who eat over 4 lbs. Lets say 4.5 lbs.
That means you eat 1.5 lbs for breakfast, 1.5 lbs for lunch and 1.5lbs for dinner.
You you eat anything else beside tomatoes ?
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote