Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2015   #16
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

I agree most potting soil is crap. It's actually in a bark-based mix now. I agree it is becoming somewhat compacted because I didn't add perlite to the pot (I was out that day, and experimenting, but the permanant home pots are getting perlite in their mix).

I still don't understand why the other two plants grew so well in the same pot, same mix, same conditions but not this one.

I still suspect it could have a virus because of the twisted foliage? Maybe I need to see some virus pictures for comparison. Off to Google!

Update: Okay, okay, I think I googled viruses before and came to the same conclusion. I don't see any mosiac on the leaves or any yellowing. Other than the distortion, they look deep green and healthy. The new growth is not so leathery. And indeed the plant has set fruit.

If if has a virus vectored by whitefiles (never had a problem with those before last year) I will be bummed. But for now, I am just going to pot it up and set it out as I had always planned.

Last edited by wormgirl; May 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #17
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

I have a Blueberries Cherry that is about 1/4 the size of his/her two siblings. They were all started from seed at the same time. Similar situation. The potting soil is different for that one so I'm thinking that's the issue in my case.

I love that your tomatoes get only the best! San Pellegrino to keep them warm!
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

I don't see anything really wrong with the SunSugar plant. Maybe a bit of leaf curl from some sort of as yet unidentified stress. Could be over-watering, cool nights, root bound, or any number of stress stimuli.

Could also be a wee little drift of 2-4-D or similar broadleaf herbicide which, under certain atmospheric conditions, can vaporize into tiny misty droplets and travel a long way on even the slightest breeze. Such herbicides contort the growth of broadleaf plants. Have you ever observed clover after it being hit directly by 2-4-D?

I have seen tomato plants hit by an extremely light mist of 2-4-D applied at a distance (like a neighbor's yard) cause contorted stems, leaf pedioles, and leaf curl without killing the plant. Unless it proves to be something like tomato yellow leaf curl virus, curly top virus, or similar (which I do not think it is) I wouldn't worry too much, and just nurture the plant forward and out of its current stress.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #19
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

San Pelligrino it is. Tomatoes need their minerals, you know! ;-)

travis, I've seen lots of pics of herbicide damage and I thankfully, I don't think that's the case here. After a thorough exam right now, the plant's new foliage appears healthy - tender, deep green, smooth - except for the twisting.

I suspect the cool nights caused some leaf curl on many of my young plants... perhaps it's just worse on the SunSugar. TallTier did say SunSugar is a slow starter, less tolerant of cool, and wraps its leaves around the cage, so? Maybe this is just what it does.

So, I will go ahead and give it a bigger pot and a place in the garden. Thanks everyone for your thoughts!!

Last edited by wormgirl; May 18, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 18, 2015   #20
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

I really believe repotting in a larger pot with good quality mix will make all the difference. Post pics in a few weeks!
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #21
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I've noticed with my own plants that some have more transplant shock than others, often with the same varieties even. It seems more on a plant by plant basis.

It will love a larger pot though for sure..
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #22
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Okay, just an update. After all y'all harangued me about it, I potted it up Wednesday. I didn't take a picture, but I can assure you it was NOT rootbound in any way. It is now in a 6 gallon pot and so are a lot of my plants. Funds were not available this year to buy larger pots so I used what I had.

Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (234.6 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by wormgirl; May 23, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old May 23, 2015   #23
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

And just for comparison, here it is next to the Sungold. And yes, I do need to weed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (235.3 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by wormgirl; May 23, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old May 23, 2015   #24
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple. Treated the same way as SunSugar. I just unwrapped it this morning. That's a Pineapple still wrapped up next to it. And in the WOW, Anna Russian. Behind that, a bunch more plants LOL. Anna Russian looks a little pale, although her mix and fertilization have been the same as all the others. Not sure why but not worried yet. She looks like she's just crawling right out the top of that WOW (I wish I'd taken pictures every day for the past week!) She's got some megablooms, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (359.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by wormgirl; May 23, 2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 23, 2015   #25
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

CP first fruit! (Yes, I broke a lateral branch while planting it...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (232.8 KB, 79 views)
Old May 23, 2015   #26
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

If the support stick moves during windy weather even a little it disturbs the roots next to the stem and may cause stunning as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #27
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

It seemed stunted growing indoors, before ever being exposed to wind, and once again I point to the other plants. But it's worth thinking about. In fact, it was sitting out in some crummy weather when I bought it, although I'm not sure it had a stake??

Frankly, I am convinced there is something clearly wrong with it that probably happened before I was in possession of it. I just pray it is only stunted and not diseased. Part of me just wants to toss it and get another plant instead. I did remove leaves and plant it down by the way, but, the lower leaves keep curling as they age.

Last edited by wormgirl; May 23, 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old May 23, 2015   #28
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

There is another possibility, since it does not look damaged outside. It could have some bugs present in the original store bought soil. There are many kings that can feast on the roots.
I would let the soil to dry as much as possible without killing the plant and then give it good soaking with mixture of 1 part peroxide to 3 parts of water.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #29
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

efisakov, I might just try that!!
Old May 25, 2015   #30
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Good point, it could be fungus gnats!
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote