Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old February 5, 2009   #16
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about tobacco and I never heard of such a thing for seet potatoes but there is a federal code or statue that prohibits growing cotton even ornamental cotton in areas that are considered bowevil free. This law doesnt prohibit an individual from growing cotton. If an individual wants to grow cotton even comercial farmers they must file a form and pay a fee based on acreage or $40 for home gardeners. The fee registers you as a grower and pays for an extension agent to set up a monitor trap for the boweevil. People that are in violation could be fined and the government came destroy the crop as a means to prevent the reintroduction of the boweevil. I fill out this form each year for an interpretive garden I plant at a historic plantation in SC. Rodger
rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #17
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm - need to be brining a soil sample of new beds to my ag extension office here in the near future - I'll ask about what "the ladies" at our Farmer's Supply told me. Our soil (loamy sand) & heat would be fab for sweet potatoes. DH is not jacked about me dragging home old tractor tires to grow them in - I tried to convince him it was the "new green" look but he remained unconvinced. I personally want to dig out 3 stands of awful pampas grass (pompous Grass) & think stacked tractor tires with cascading sweet potato vines would look ever so much better but that's just me...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #18
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

You can see some lists at these 2 links:

State by State Noxious Weeds Lists

National Plant Board - Regulated Noxious Weeds

~* Robin