Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2008   #16
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

3 Olives and I (I know him as J.) had talked a bit on the phone and converse by email a few times. We talked about the Brandy Stripe as it related to my talk at the SSE in Iowa last Summer and my blog and other places.

He is the only one to receive this particular batch of seed related to the Brandy Stripe and the hybrid of this with Brandywine. I guess I found this trial to be a special favor or research offer to him, and for a gratuitous return of information.

I felt that I needed at least one other person to test the same trial I am conducting this year with the various subsets of Brandywine crosses, segregating lines and derived varietals therein.

The list below in quotes is what was sent to J.

The first line is from the same sourcing as sent to Holland in 1996 which led to the Vintage Wine variety there.

The second line is a hybrid between related sib lines of the woolly version of Brandy Stripes which is carrying woolly genes homozygously from both related sibs. (These sibs are separated by two single seed descents) This is to test whether or not some hybrid vigor can be expressed in comparison to other lines.

The third line is the F-2 seed saved from a hybrid of Brandywine and the Brandy Stripe (woolly). This batch will segregate for woolly genes, striped genes, and basic Brandywine flavor parameters. It is indeed possible to get a Vintage Wine look-alike but with more Brandywine components. All will have potato leaves, pink fruits, although some will express slight stripes to full pink/yellow stripes.

The fourth, Vintage Wine, is the standard line originated out of the Netherlands and is probably something like F-12 or F-17. My interest is to compare it with the first selection of the group sent.

The last seed package should show the rationale for making available hybrids of related lines of Brandywine F-1's. There is long story to tell about making hybrid heirloom tomatoes and this exact hybrid is what I wrote about elsewhere as an example.

Quote:
F-7 Brandy Stripe (potato leaf, pink/yellow stripes, not woolly) Semi determinate
#38 on package

F-1 10111099 X #99, 7, 32, or ? (very similar clone)
F-6 x related line Brandy Stripe

F-2 of Brandywine X F-9 Brandy Stripe

Vintage Wine

F-1 Brandywine (Gary Ibsen’s source) X F-9 Brandy Stripe
(F-1 of 37032706 X 37232706)

Flavor is something that I work for but don't always achieve. The hybrid, segregating F-2's, and other selections that J. will be growing this year hopefully will postulate or illustrate nicely the goal for flavor and beauty.

Tom Wagner

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2008   #17
3 Olives
Tomatovillian™

Tom - Thanks for clarifying the matter. All of the seeds have been vigorous (some extremely so). I'm looking forward to planting them side by side. Thanks again!
3 Olives is offline   Reply With Quote