Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 15, 2014   #16
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

There goes Worth again, reading this reminds me of the Smother brothers. I can not stop smiling.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I put mine on top of the cable TV receiver and Roku box inside the media cabinet in the living room. They stay nice and toasty in there. They do have to be carried out to the kitchen to be watered, of course. As some one else said, the top of the fridge is another option. I can't use that because my husband's lunch cooler lives up there and he'd probably knock over all my seedlings pulling it down each morning.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #18
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

You don't need bottom heat at all. I start mine in damp paper towels in plastic bags. I live in MN, so the temp never gets above 70 in my house. Seeds start fine. In fact, I started some Bhut Jolokia and Datil seeds on 1/6 and they are already germinating. After they begin to germinate, move them to your moistened seed starting mix and cover lightly with mix, then cover the pot with plastic wrap and place in a window until they come up, then remove the plastic wrap and put under florescent lights on a timer. I can't imagine running a florescent light for 14 hours per day would cost a heck of a lot and you can buy a cheap 4 foot fixture at HD for less than $10.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #19
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Well since I have enough seeds to start, I'm going to do some one the fridge in a baggie, a few in seed starting mix with plastic cover and a few in a baggie with the mat and small lamp on them when and if they sprout. That way I can see what works best for me.
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #20
peebee
Tomatovillian™

If the peppers seeds are super fresh you should have no problems. I've found ones that are over 2 yrs old to be more of a challenge though, but I no longer even bother with older seeds. I just grow basically the same 4-5 varieties every year so I always have fresh seeds.
Good luck! Let us know how they worked for you.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #21
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That's outstanding! This looks like it will keep your hands hot for a while.

I just saw today that the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute is ready to debut a new pepper..."NuMex Sandia Select". They are selling seed packets for $5. This new Sandia has "better flavor, a thicker fruit wall, a higher heat level and more uniformity among the plants and pods, meaning its easier to process and peel. Those characteristics make it a great green chile, experts say."

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Charley, I am growing all the NuMex-Big Jim-Hatch varieties this year so I can do a side-by-side comparison. I have the space and the time... Not growing any tomatoes this year for the first time in my life...have plenty of sauce, dried and salsa so will be doing about 85 kinds of peppers. About 20 kinds of Cayenne (from all over the world) and 15 different peppers from Spain. I am interested in best for ristras and best for chili powder...have to do something with myself!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #22
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
That's outstanding! This looks like it will keep your hands hot for a while.

I just saw today that the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute is ready to debut a new pepper..."NuMex Sandia Select". They are selling seed packets for $5. This new Sandia has "better flavor, a thicker fruit wall, a higher heat level and more uniformity among the plants and pods, meaning its easier to process and peel. Those characteristics make it a great green chile, experts say."
I saw they had a new one...Will probably "just have to have it!" The Sandia's typically are not all that warm so the new heat will be a plus. I have grown most of the NMSU chili's over the years but never compared them "side-by-side" previously. It should be interesting..I have an almost constant 85 degree temp and nights at just about 70 which is "pepper nirvana". They grow and produce fruit here like nobodies business.
Old January 21, 2014   #23
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Tell your hubby it's cheaper than a divorce and do what you want!
(that's my Canadian advice)

Karen
+1