Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2015   #16
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I low carb often and I eat tomatoes(of course or I wouldn't be here). If I'm looking to get into ketosis(not ketoacidosis), I count carb grams and I would use the average count for fresh tomatoes, like however many are in say a cup of diced fresh tomatoes. I've been low carbing on and off for decades so I don't need to count carbs anymore as I can feel when I'm in ketosis and you don't need to be in constant ketosis to lose weight(but it helps in the beginning). If I'm having a salad I might have a half of a tomato in it. Some people like to use spaghetti squash or zucchini as a substitute for pasta. I've made homemade pizza sauce and made pizza using cooked chicken mixed with mozzarella cheese for the crust. Carbs, but not a lot. Low carb doesn't mean no carb(but some plans can start out pretty strict).
Tomato sauce has concentrated sugar the same way raisins or any dried or cooked down fruit does. You just have to balance it with everything else you're eating. During tomato season I could have a couple of big slabs of tom as a side to a ground beef patty or a steak almost every day. Instead of a BLT, I would have a bacon salad.
Sorry I probably haven't answered the question but that's my take on low carb and tomatoes...gotta have 'em.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I pick a thread and latch on to it like a hound dog on a biscuit.

Does fried chicken count as low carb if you just roll the chicken in flour not a batter?
If so I could eat it all of the time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating tomatoes dipped in mayonnaise lately.

The keto diet does allow vegetables, except for the few high-carb veggies like corn and potatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I've been eating tomatoes dipped in mayonnaise lately.

The keto diet does allow vegetables, except for the few high-carb veggies like corn and potatoes.
A friend of mine said the rule of thumb was no white at night referring to white foods like breads pasta and potatoes.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

None of that stuff ever, if you want to lose weight, not just at night.

At least that's true at any sort of reasonable activity level. If you're running marathons, carbs aren't going to make you fat. When I trained mma, I saw fighters who had hardly any body fat shovel fast food and junk food down themselves all the time. But the insane activity level of training kept them from gaining fat from eating junk. That's why almost every fighter who quits training gains a lot of weight, just like I did. I went from 165 to 225, and now am back to about 175, thanks to a high-fat low-carb diet.
Old July 4, 2015   #21
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

There are dozens of low carb plans out there and as many rules of thumb. I originally started with Atkins in the 70s and now my plan is low carb, moderate protein, high fat, using Atkins as a guideline.

Sorry Worth, no flour but you could coat the chicken in egg and roll it in crushed pork rinds or almond flour. Not the same but still fried and still tasty.
Old July 4, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
None of that stuff ever, if you want to lose weight, not just at night.

At least that's true at any sort of reasonable activity level. If you're running marathons, carbs aren't going to make you fat. When I trained mma, I saw fighters who had hardly any body fat shovel fast food and junk food down themselves all the time. But the insane activity level of training kept them from gaining fat from eating junk. That's why almost every fighter who quits training gains a lot of weight, just like I did. I went from 165 to 225, and now am back to about 175, thanks to a high-fat low-carb diet.
Well that stands to reason to be very true just from my observations about what I eat and when.
Since I live two different lives I have to or ate least eat two different foods.
At work where it is cold and I run up and down stairs all of the time I can eat more carbs.
At home if I dont have projects where I get my heart rate up I eat mostly protein.
Even at work many of my meals are just canned sardines and a few crackers.

I am not skinny by any stretch of the imagination but not really fat either.
I weigh more than a guy at work that is bigger than me but not taller.'
That tells me I have more muscle and less fat.
The poor guy was shocked and said how can you weigh more than me?
I just said nothing.
The poor guy is a carbaholic.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
There are dozens of low carb plans out there and as many rules of thumb. I originally started with Atkins in the 70s and now my plan is low carb, moderate protein, high fat, using Atkins as a guideline.

Sorry Worth, no flour but you could coat the chicken in egg and roll it in crushed pork rinds or almond flour. Not the same but still fried and still tasty.
Heck I will go with nothing and just fry it most of the flour washes off anyway.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #24
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The poor guy is a carbaholic.
This is me and I've always struggled with it. Low carbing is the only way to curb the cravings. I'm on plan most of the time but then fall off the wagon usually due to finances and it takes me a while to get back on plan. My brain wants sugar, but my body feels best low carbing.
Old July 4, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
This is me and I've always struggled with it. Low carbing is the only way to curb the cravings. I'm on plan most of the time but then fall off the wagon usually due to finances and it takes me a while to get back on plan. My brain wants sugar, but my body feels best low carbing.
I am a carbaholic for some things too but not grains unless it is pasta.
I can honestly say I have cut back about 80 percent of the amount of pasta and potatoes I eat.
I will never stop loving pasta or eating it but it will be a treat not something I eat all of the time.

Worth
Old July 4, 2015   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The failing of Atkins was the way that the body converts excess protein to glucose, thereby avoiding ketosis. The keto diet limits protein and mandates that most calories come from fat, which is a big difference between Atkins and Keto.
Old July 4, 2015   #27
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm a potato and beanaholic.
I've done well eating 15-20 grams per meal. I like the South Beach phase one with recipes from the book. Or, The Schwarzbein Diet, although I can eat too much fat and calories on either if I'm not careful. I've found calorie counting using My Fitness Pal ap and just not allowing really concentrated simple carbs is my best bet, although I hate counting calories and logging food. At my age and height I really have to watch every bite unless I'm doing something like scuba diving or fox hunting all day.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #28
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
I wonder why that didn't occur to me?
Spaghetti squash sort of works as a pasta sub. Kind of. Maybe.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #29
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's really the sauce I want, not the pasta. It's good on spaghetti squash, zucchini, and eggplant. Also good on grilled chicken or Italian sausage with peppers.
Old July 4, 2015   #30
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Atkins works VERY well for me.

And I grow/eat lots of tomatoes, while still limiting intake to no more
than 40 net carbs a day for first 90 days. After that, 80 net carbs a day.

Once your body gets bored with a daily pound (or more) of 'maters, you can rely on low carb dressing (like Kens blue cheese) to spice it up, along with greens like Romaine Lettuce.

No sugar, no pasta, no starchy veggies, no BREAD.....but as much meat and fish as your heart desires !!!! In 6 months, you will lose about 25% of your body weight, provided you exercise a reasonable amount.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote