Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 27, 2009   #16
oc tony
Tomatovillian™

Colorado west I don,t grow peppers (don't have the room) so I have no experience drying them.Living in Southern California peppers are cheap to buy you can get dried Anaheim,New Mexicos & chile arobols peppers for $2 dollars a lb. on sale and it only costs me about 5 cents for one or two serranos to make salsa.
oc tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #17
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_west View Post

Your seeds may or may not grow. I bought .15 worth of chile de arbor dried and used seed. They grew fine. Bulk ones at Walmart. I bought bags of peppers red dried and some do not grow. I find some that will grow but not come up many of them and few will to come up at all. I would say too high a heat in drying. Worth a try. I deseeded the whole batch of kinds I got and DIL and I have different dried one to try out.
Man, I thought I had a seedling but it turns out it was a weed. I have nothing from any of them. Not a single plant. I planted 12 seeds and none of them came up. Oh well. Its hard to find pepper seeds around here that aren't your garden variety bells or jalapenos. I thought I could get away with doing it this way rather than ordering them.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #18
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

When did you plant the seeds? Pepper seeds generally take much longer than tomato seeds to germinate...If not using bottom heat they can easily take 18-21 days to germinate...Even with bottom heat they can take their time...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #19
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Organchris, I still have one pan of peppers more has came up. One is 10 times bigger than any of other peppers I have up. My yellow chile did not come up good and they were boughten seed. I sent you a PM.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #20
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
When did you plant the seeds? Pepper seeds generally take much longer than tomato seeds to germinate...If not using bottom heat they can easily take 18-21 days to germinate...Even with bottom heat they can take their time...

Jeanne
Yeah, I guess I'm too impatient. It's only been 8 days. I've never grown peppers from seed, but I had no idea it could take that long. I'll give it another week and see what happens.
Old March 31, 2009   #21
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Some pepper seeds can take a month or more to sprout. Last year I gave up on some after about 3 weeks, left the pots in a tray, uncovered, but didn't water or do anything else. Two weeks later the Pro-Mix was bone dry and surprisingly I had pepper sprouts.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2009   #22
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

organichris, my chili de arbol took 13 days to germinate. I got them in a trade from someone who grew them last year and saved some. If yours don't come up in 2-3 weeks, I could send you a few. Let me know.

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2009   #23
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtgn View Post
organichris, my chili de arbol took 13 days to germinate. I got them in a trade from someone who grew them last year and saved some. If yours don't come up in 2-3 weeks, I could send you a few. Let me know.

fourtgn
I've been keeping the seeds watered, and its been 14 days. But I'm not going to give them much more than another week or so. Thankfully, a very kind tomatovillian has hooked me up with more pepper seeds than I will be able to plant this year. Every single kind of pepper seed I wanted to grow and then some were included in the package, including the two I had already planted. So thanks for the offer, fourtgn, but I'm good.