Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 6, 2014   #16
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Bruce, It seems you have the genuine Black Kow manure and from what I read on the Black Kow link RayR gave, it appears to be pretty good stuff. Dairy farms here in Wisconsin do it different.
Hey RayR what ya thinkin? Any new thoughts on this subject?
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #17
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
I bought the Black Kow Manure at HD in the yellow and black bags. I believe they are 50 lbs. I mixed the3 of them with a 4 lb compressed bale of pro mix bx . When i put the mixture in the bags i added approximately 1 and cups of domolite lime to each pot. I was also thinking if its smart pots, all the excess water would run out the bottom and sides. The bags arent sitting on the deck I have them up on 2x4 s and expanded metal so air flows under them as well around them. . I'm perplexed. It summer and temps are around 90 so have to water every day or they would dry out, thats been my experience , in fact two yrs ago when it was in 100s for an extended period i had to water twice a day or they woul droop badly
I appreciated all your help . we will get it figured out.
Bruce
BTW Augie works too...lol
So you used the same mix before without any issues?
I know how fast soil can dry out in cloth containers when it's hot an dry. I have an assortment of plants in Root Pouches, Peppers and Basil mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Bruce, It seems you have the genuine Black Kow manure and from what I read on the Black Kow link RayR gave, it appears to be pretty good stuff. Dairy farms here in Wisconsin do it different.
Hey RayR what ya thinkin? Any new thoughts on this subject?
Dutch
There's got to be some imbalance somewhere, maybe too much lime as you suggested. A PH test would surely help.
I am very hesitant to add any substantial amounts of carbonates to a mix when I know they are already in there like in the ProMix. The composted cow manure will naturally have some too.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #18
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

what is the best way to test the ph
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #19
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
what is the best way to test the ph
A good commercial meter like a Hanna or a Milwaukee is best, I have one of each.
Litmus paper rolls is next best, I use PHydrion Micro/Essentials.
Or there are these less accurate inexpensive methods ;
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-Soil-pH
Dutch
Old July 6, 2014   #20
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
... There's got to be some imbalance somewhere ...
or an anaerobic bacterial infection.

Quote:
... A PH test would surely help. ...
Check the pH of the irrigation water too.
Old July 6, 2014   #21
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I like the Hydrion #95 PH Papers, measures in .5 increments from PH 5-9. Pretty accurate readings. Doesn't have the precision of my Milwaukee PH meter but a heck of a lot cheaper. You don't really need high precision for soil PH.
Old July 6, 2014   #22
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
or an anaerobic bacterial infection.

Check the pH of the irrigation water too.
The soil would be pretty stinky if it went anerobic.

Good point on the water, some city water is high in calcium carbonate.
Old July 6, 2014   #23
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
I like the Hydrion #95 PH Papers, measures in .5 increments from PH 5-9. Pretty accurate readings. Doesn't have the precision of my Milwaukee PH meter but a heck of a lot cheaper. You don't really need high precision for soil PH.
I agree.

Quote:
The soil would be pretty stinky if it went anerobic.
If copper and zinc are lacking in the soil, then it might not be stinky at all.
Old July 6, 2014   #24
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered Hydrion # 95 PH paper on amazon..Thanks. When They get here I'll probably ask you how to use them. I saw the link that was posted about digging a hole and put water in it and then taking some out. If I put water in a hole in my pots it will disappear very quickly...LOL
Old July 6, 2014   #25
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just ordered Hydrion # 95 PH paper on amazon..Thanks. When They get here I'll probably ask you how to use them. I saw the link that was posted about digging a hole and put water in it and then taking some out. If I put water in a hole in my pots it will disappear very quickly...LOL
Perfect! Post back here when you get the PH paper. I may be busy outside at that time but RayR checks the board here almost daily and has been excellent at addressing problems like this. You wouldn't lose a step following Richard's (Hermitian) advise either if he answers when you post back, as he has both oars in the water and is very knowledgeable. Good luck, Bruce!
Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; July 6, 2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old July 7, 2014   #26
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I've got a question for you guys. While waiting for the PH paper to get here would it be beneficial to my plants to folar spray them to get some phosherous up to the stems ands leaves. I have some sea start 0-4-4 and some neptunes harvest fish and kelp 2-3-1. Just a thought. By pass the roots
Old July 7, 2014   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We do a foliar fertilizer and it works much faster than a drench. What is the temperature there? Cold wet weather makes for poor phosphorus exchange, too.
Old July 7, 2014   #28
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

The temps are running roughly 90 day - 70 night
Old July 7, 2014   #29
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Augiedog, can you post a pic? This will really help others who are trying to imagine what your problem looks like, it is too much of a shot in the dark to guess otherwise.

You can buy a cheap ph meter for a few bucks at most garden stores, they usually have a moisture meter gizmo on them too. Test your water mix you use, and stab it in your medium too.
I have never used TTF is it ph balanced for tomatoes? If it is, you probably are chasing your tail checking ph anyway.

Last edited by AKmark; July 7, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #30
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The way a lab would do a PH test is to start with a dry sample.
Dig a sample of about a tablespoon or more of the soil about 4"-5" down in the container and let it dry out completely.
Put the dry sample in a small cup and pour enough distilled water to just cover the soil. Stir it up good and then let the solution sit and equilibrate for 20-30 minutes.
Just take a drop off the soil water solution and moisten a strip of the PH paper and wait a little bit for the color to stabilize so you can check it against the chart. If you put too much of the liquid on the strip it will bleed some dye off and screw up the reading.