General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.
|
|
March 28, 2017 | #16 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
I already bought the bags for solarizing the mix in the summer and bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._o04_s00?ie=UT to eliminate the salts, but that is sounding like too much work. |
|
March 28, 2017 | #17 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
|
|
March 28, 2017 | #18 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I use these and have never seen them at that low price. Usually $34+
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 |
March 29, 2017 | #19 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Barb, thanks for that link, I just ordered 2. Is the 3 mil thickness good enough to not disintegrate? You should put that in the Florida thread too.
|
March 29, 2017 | #20 |
Tomatovillian™
Location: Columbus, MS Living on the Edge ( Of Zone 7b/8a that is..)
|
Been reading this thread - Just replanted my earthboxes yesterday. Never occured to me to use bags for covers. I will try that next time - Thanks!
Right now I use Garden Docs method heavy construction plastic - it is kind of a pain to wrestle it on and tie it around, but it does last a long time. On an interesting note - Garden Doc gave an hour long lecture on his earth boxes here a few weeks ago ( he said he has 133 of them in his back yard). He said he stopped using the tuck method because here in Mississippi it give a place for weeds to accumulate and grow. I did like the idea of rain water collection, which was his original goal. |
April 1, 2017 | #21 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Interesting thread here...I never knew the potting mix in EBs could be reused! I'll have to try that. But does it really have to be solarized each year before reusing?
|
April 1, 2017 | #22 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Barb is one of my hero gurus. |
|
April 1, 2017 | #23 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Has anyone used 13-13-13 in EB's?
|
April 1, 2017 | #24 |
Tomatovillian™
|
They tell you not to go higher than a 10-10-10.
|
April 1, 2017 | #25 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
more earth boxes for that, to be able to rotate them. |
|
April 1, 2017 | #26 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
April 1, 2017 | #27 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Just seeing this thread again. Marsha - That 3 ply plastic lasts throughout the summer. Most bags were in such great shape afterwards, I tried using them again the next year. Then they split but still lasted over a month.
Ropper - I can solarize 2 EB contents in 1 EB. I don't solarize anything I'm going to remove afterwards; I press down really hard to fill up the EB - way more than I do when I use them for growing. I have a HUGE loaf going. I also grow in Root Pouches and found solarizing ONLY in the EB is a lot cleaner and easier. Marsha - we do have an advantage re: solarizing since we don't grow anyway in the hottest months. |
April 1, 2017 | #28 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I've solarized my garden beds 2 years in a row, so doing the EB will be a lot easier. Only thing is, I would hate to cook the earthworms I find in the bottom of the mix, so I think I will dump it all into a large clear thick bag and remove the worms first. By solarizing in a bag rather than in the EB will be simple for me as I only have 1 to do, and I can flatten it out and that would mean it might work in as little as 2 weeks of constant hot sun right?
I have 3 new EBs that I will have to fill now, so I will solarize the 4th old one and plant some eggplants around the end of this month. Busy busy busy. |
April 3, 2017 | #29 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I've never solarized my EBs either. Maybe give it a try.
|
April 3, 2017 | #30 |
Tomatovillian™
|
50 lbs dog food bags work for solarization too.
|
|
|