Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 17, 2015   #16
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

saltmarsh, if you don't get suggestions I wouldn't bother, because IMO the experiment won't prove anything except plants can take 1, 2, or 3 and call you in the morning. If we are dealing with something anecdotally considered a plant vaccine for anything, that would be a mighty big conspiracy of the agrichemical/pesticide/fertilizer businesses not to offer a commercial product.

A good study would randomize varieties or use all the same one. There would be a measurable result for each exposed level per plant and per control plant, preferably double blind. And you need a concrete assertion to test. Like "Aspirin adds one extra week to the season after attack by Late Blight". So you would then inoculate the whole field equally with Late Blight.and then do the data collection.
Serendipity only goes so far, but according to Wikipedia, aspirin has been in everyone's medicine cabinet since 1899 and isn't any documented remedy for cultivation. And in 1918 there is anecdotal evidence that the over application of aspirin was deadly to some other species, and a bunch of scientists enjoying an argumente over it (some things never change):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_fl...irin_poisoning

Last edited by FLRedHeart; January 17, 2015 at 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #17
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have used aspirin as a spray and in the planting hole and have not noticed any results good or bad. No scientific observations of any kind. Sorry

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #18
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Default Aspirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
I have used aspirin as a spray and in the planting hole and have not noticed any results good or bad. No scientific observations of any kind. Sorry

jon
I'll trust your results. Thanks Jon.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Google search for use of aspirin and tomato immune system;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...system+aspirin

Check out the link to Tville.

I've read about it for many years but no one has yet defined, at least for me, what the immune system of a tomato is. A system is a system, meaning many factors involved, not just one substance.

Carolyn
I agree, a plants immune system is complex like a animal immune system. A combination of their own genetically controlled chemical production for signaling and fighting off various attackers plus the antibiotic protection of beneficial microbial partners.
You can trick a plant by introducing certain chemicals, into thinking it is under attack, heightening its immune system for awhile, but the overall immune system is much more complex.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #20
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
Ok, I'm game. When I transplant this Spring, I'll spray the first two rows of my tomatoes with aspirin water. I label my plants so it's a simple matter to note the asprin spray on the label and plant out sheets. Any suggestions? Claud
Thanks Claud! And your method of growing Lima beans to repel some of the leaf eaters worked for me last year. Thanks a bunch!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; January 18, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #21
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

saltmarsh,
Where did you get your dose amounts? I have read that you use one asprin per gallon of water.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #22
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFXEFU View Post
saltmarsh,
Where did you get your dose amounts? I have read that you use one asprin per gallon of water.

Out of thin air. That's why I asked for suggestions.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Out of thin air.
That's where I start everything, from cooking to gardening.

I just made some nice dinner roles (out of thin air).

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #24
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok, I'm game. When I transplant this Spring, I'll spray the first two rows of my tomatoes with aspirin water. I label my plants so it's a simple matter to note the asprin spray on the label and plant out sheets.

Each row has 44 plants so I won't spray plants 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41 on both rows.

I'll spray a 8 aspirin (1600mg) per gallon solution on plants 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, and 42.

I'll spray a 16 aspirin (3200mg) per gallon solution on plants 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, and 43.

I'll spray a 24 aspirin (4800mg) per gallon solution on plants 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, and 44.

Then I'll use my untrained eyes to see if there is any noticable difference in the performance of the plants.

Any suggestions? Claud
Suggestions

If sprayed dissolved aspirin really is a promoter of some plant immune cascade for tomato, very little is required to do the job since the plants do a good job with a foliar feeding. All your doses of 1600/3200/4800 mg/gal are likely to burn your plants. Try one (325 mg/gal) and two pills (650 mg/gal) if you don't mind risking your crop. (I still say don't do it.) Like:

$0.88 175 pill bottle of aspirin from Walmart to have an economical standard (325 mg/pill) widely available in case it seems to work and without additives like whatever coating most tablets contain, etc.
Aspirin is rather acidic. Maybe try Bufferin?
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #25
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

325 mg of aspirin to 1 gallon of water (no coated aspirin).
Spray your tomatoes 2-3 times monthly.
This is like a flu shot for tomatoes, it just makes the plant build up resistance to disease.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote