Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 28, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Colorado potato beetle eggs are orange to almost red Ladybug eggs are yellow.
Images on google are sometimes not a good way to find out what you have unless you look hard.
All someone has to do is say it is something and it pops up on google like that as though it was the truth.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #17
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have lady bugs on rosemary no CPB' or aphids I have no idea what they are eating but what ever it is they can eat it.
I'm with you. I have ladybug eggs on all different plants and shrubs and while I may not see a bug, they must and I just let them do their thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brengolio View Post
Starlight,
Well we have a bountiful amount of aphids to feed our ladybugs, also while picking bell pepper I noticed lacewing eggs, also on my eggplant leaves, the purple hull peas are loaded with aphids
I've never known CPB to eat on peppers, but they may, but if you have ladybug eggs on them I would compare them to those on your eggplants to see if they match up the same. If different then destroy the eggplant ones.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #18
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

verdict in

lacewing and ladybug nymphs

I learned alot about these two insects today, thanks for all the input
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160728_182403.jpg (160.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20160728_182617.jpg (213.2 KB, 45 views)
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I fight Colorado Potato Beetles every year. When I first read this thread, that was my call on the yellow-orange eggs in the first picture. Below is a picture of a CPB. They can be picked off and smushed between your fingers when adults, and they will color your fingers an ochre hue.

But the destructive CPB juveniles don't look like the picture below. They a a dark red and will infest a tomato plant eating all the new tender foliage - usually the center of the new growth. and they don't respond to most organic weapons. I have mixed Garden Safe and Malathion together and they will wait a couple days for new growth and attack that.

The juveniles are dark red and they range in size from "half a grain of rice" to slightly larger than the adults. They don't have any of the adult striping and are not able to fly like the adults. When I had tried soap on them, it only gave me clean CPB's that probably smelled better (LOL). Seven Dust only makes them easier to see. A product sold at our local Co-op is called "Eight" and it does has a little effect on them.

My neighbor planted 6 rows (75 feet long) of potatoes and didn't do anything about the CPB's. The CPB's were present in the thousands and there was very little foliage left. When he harvested, he only got one and a half bushels of small potatoes.

I have a policy of not giving up on my hard work. I believe you have to hit hard and hit quickly or the critters will take everything. What they don't eat outright is usually damaged to a stage of disappointment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColPotBeetle.jpg (116.8 KB, 31 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #20
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Bad thing about CPB is that you can go out, scout every leaf, destroy the eggs and come back a few hours later and the darn stinkers have laid just more batches.

I had them so bad one year on eggplants and about drove myself crazy squishing eggs several times a day and trying to kill the beetles. Only thing I found that got rid of them was I got me a big bottle of Bayer Advanced complete insect killer. Cheaper is you buy the big concentrate bottle. Three TBS to a gallon of water, put in some sort of spray bottle, spray top and bottom of leaves and ground around plant and they finally disappeared. I hate using chems but they are one that can cause major losses super fast if not controlled early on.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I guess we could put them on the list of things from the Colombian exchange.
The critters were pretty much confined to Colorado until the place was settled from what I have read about them.
Now they are everywhere.
Worth
Old July 29, 2016   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I guess we could put them on the list of things from the Colombian exchange.
The critters were pretty much confined to Colorado until the place was settled from what I have read about them.
Now they are everywhere.
Worth
I don't like to say you are right Worth,really,b/c it might go to your head but you're right in saying probably Colorado, but I'm not so sure about the place was settled part.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...24.8nSLMmOtuqA

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...otato-beetles/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_potato_beetle

....and do note the statue of a CPB in the above link.

I settled in Colorado in1972, and surprise,the beetles were already there.

Carolyn
Old July 29, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is the part I read about some time ago in the middle link.

"""The Colorado potato beetle, Leptinotarsa decemlineata (Say), is a major potato pest throughout North America. It was first recognized as a potato pest in 1859 in Colorado when the beetle switched from its normal host, buffalo bur, a relative of potato, to cultivated potatoes brought into the region by early settlers. Once beetles began feeding and reproducing on cultivated potatoes, they were able to migrate eastward feeding on potatoes grown on farms and in gardens throughout the Great Plains and Ohio River valley. On average, the Colorado potato beetle expanded its range eastward approximately 85 miles per year, reaching the East Coast by 1874"""

Just the other day I was watching some so called expert on YueTube talk about the exchange.
I dont know what he was a doctor of but it sure wasn't history or any kind of science.

Worth