Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 25, 2016   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have checked LOWES for seeds , since late October. They had none, even though they kept their nursery going. No seeds, No cool crop plants, just some shrubberies. Walmart shut down their garden center. I managed to get some clearance items,fo a buck each.
I am waiting until New Year to get my seed germinating supplies, small pots, .. I,ve got all the tomato and pepper seeds that I can handle.
The other stuff ( cucurbits, peas, herbs .... ), I will direct sow , some time in March.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #17
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Schill, What a wonderful find and a great use for these seeds that otherwise would have been tossed. How very kind of you to be sharing these with others. I am sure that your generosity will be appreciated. More of us should be sharing like this...

Merry Christmas!
Old December 25, 2016   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Well done, Schill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Yeah, our Home Depot destroys them all sometime after Thanksgiving. They don't mark them down of nothing, just gone.
You can get all kinds of things by asking. Unless there are laws in place forbidding it (I'm guessing these are in place where KarenO is), managers at stores frequently have plenty of leeway, especially with products that are about to expire or products with any kind of damage to packaging, etc.

I know people who will bargain at regular corporate stores sometimes. These days, with the ease of price-matching on Internet-connected phones, I'm sure the practice is getting more and more common. Of course, you don't want to do it in a way that delays or inconveniences other shoppers, but if you think about it, people don't usually think twice if you haggle with the salesperson at Best Buy over electronics or computers. Same with things like new window shades or tiles or something at Home Depot/Lowes. In general, if the sale requires the attendance of a sales rep., saying, "Hey, can you cut me a break if I buy [something additional]?" has a good chance of working. So it's not all that weird, if you think about it, to go and ask for a bulk deal on the remaining seed at year's end. Seems like a great idea to me if you have ties to community gardens, etc. Smart of Schill to think of it!
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2016   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I used to get emptied pots at Lowes, just by asking the guys in the garden center.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #20
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Nice score. Great time of year to scoop up some deals at the garden center.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #21
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Here is the company's web site, if it makes it easier to copy and paste descriptions, or for everybody else to use as a reference:
http://www.plantationproducts.com/br...FerryMorse.cfm
I picked up a bunch of mckensie seeds from home hardware in November. They were discounted to .25 cents and .50 cents Canadian. That's the cheapest I've seen seeds in this area.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #22
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Nice score! I would be interested in trading for flowers and herbs

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #23
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Past two years been buying closeout see at Dollar General. They usually put on closeout around mid August. Numerous flowers, herbs and vegetables sold anywhere from 1 to 8 cent per pack.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Every year without fail my mother will buy a handful of ten cent seed packets on clearance at wal-mart. They will be yellow pear and crimson cushion, which of course happen to be two of my least favorite varieties. There are lots of great clearance deals out there, but those two tomatoes are a waste of ten cents, at least in my own opinion.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #25
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Last couple years I would just buy out the local ace hardware when their seeds are 10 cents...this year I only bought the ones I knew I wanted...now that seed trading season is here I'm regretting no scooping up the whole thing!

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #26
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

next time ask if you can take the display rack toooooooo!! that would be cool.
Old December 28, 2016   #27
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Schill,
I applaud your good intentions in sharing these seeds with community gardens. My only hope is that you were not "taken" to some degree as Ferry-Morse does not have a good reputation for good germination and producing the correct plant. On another website where people rate the company a number of people complained about getting just weeds when they planted the lettuce and spinach. There were a few who have had good luck. You might want to test a few packets yourself to see how well they are germinating and if they are true to the packet. I wish for you that these are good packets because your offer is really great! The site to check out these packets is http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/87/#b
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #28
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have seen the reviews on Dave's Garden. I always check it. However, you have to consider the amount of Ferry Morse seeds out there compared to someone like Heritage or Tomato Growers Supply etc. So it is reasonable that you would find more negative comments just based on the fact that they are in almost every store carrying seeds through out the country. Just look at the negatives for Burpee seeds.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4/#b

I am test germinating a few seeds right now

Also here are some Tomatoville reviews on Ferry Morse seeds.
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40196
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #29
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

schill93, the thing about burpee is they have a lock on brandy boy. not sure how one company can lock up a brand, put bb is my favorite hybrid and grow every year. seeds are pricey too.
Old December 29, 2016   #30
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
schill93, the thing about burpee is they have a lock on brandy boy. not sure how one company can lock up a brand, put bb is my favorite hybrid and grow every year. seeds are pricey too.
Here's an alternative to Burpee's crazy high pricing for Brandy Boy.

(Right now they're charging $6.95 for 35 seeds, and minimum $3.95 shipping.)

You can order Brandy Boy seeds from a UK vendor for a total price of approx. $3.50 US for 20 seeds. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomato-Brand...0AAOSwo6lWI3I9

Note that, while the shipping arrival date listed is long (3-4 weeks), I've ordered from UK before and usually arrives within 7 days. YMMV.

It is an alternative to consider.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote