Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2015   #16
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

The last two seasons My family;s favorite was and probably still the "burpee super beef steak" I'm no pro but compared them to the other varirties like pruden purple which i say was second favorite and black krim was okay but everybody liked the burpee super beef hybrid best on burgers sandwiches even salads.. so this season seeds are burpee super beef steak black krim pruden purple and two additional burpee variety red brandywine and going to try rutgers again (didn't grow rutgers last season). Any suggestions always appreciated!
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #17
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I bought a pkg of tomato seeds back in 2010 labeled 'Beefsteak' , from American Seed CO. I never grew it out, but my curiousity got the best of me, so I sowed some seeds a few days ago. The description states: Each 9 to 12 ounce tomato is splendid for slicing. Plants are large and spreading, with medium green broad foliage.

It will be interesting to see how and what it turns out to be. Growing it out is no problem if it turns out to be a dud. I have the space, and if it is a spitter I will feed it to the chickens.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Found this in my seed bag. I think it came from the Dollar General Store. It was an end of the season sale. I think it ended up costing me 4 cents.

However, Beefsteak tomatoes are the name given by Farmers Markets (where veggies are sold by the case, bushel, etc.) to any tomato of a certain size. They are usually some of the same ones found in Wally World and other chain super markets.

This package suggests the fruit will average 8 oz. I purchased some tomatoes from a roadside stand in North Georgia that were called "Beefsteak", and they averaged about 12 oz and above.

I wonder if a true "Beefsteak" named variety exists, or is it just a marketing misnomer. Anyhow, it all about the taste. If it tastes good, they can call it what they want. You know, a rose by any other name, .......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0003.JPG (161.7 KB, 68 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
I bought a pkg of tomato seeds back in 2010 labeled 'Beefsteak' , from American Seed CO. I never grew it out, but my curiousity got the best of me, so I sowed some seeds a few days ago. The description states: Each 9 to 12 ounce tomato is splendid for slicing. Plants are large and spreading, with medium green broad foliage.

It will be interesting to see how and what it turns out to be. Growing it out is no problem if it turns out to be a dud. I have the space, and if it is a spitter I will feed it to the chickens.

Ginny
I got a pack a few days ago. American seed 20 cents "Beefsteak" They'll have to wait until next year for me to plant them though. lol, I may need to buy some chickens
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #20
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Has anybody compared the burpee red brandywine to the pink bradywine ?not doing the pink but the reds are germinated.. probably pot them is a week or two.
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote