Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One 5 gallon bucket holds 0.66 cubic feet so two would be 1.32

As was said the earth box will hold about 2 cubic feet but I think they advertize 2.5 cubic feet.

Big difference.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #17
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

When I purchase directly from EB, I buy 3 (so $30 each) and always have waited until they had free shipping sale. I definitely think they are worth $30.

I had some with casters, and the rest on dolly's. I have since replaced most of the dolly's with the casters.

On one of the Cyber deals, I bought from a link on Amazon, and got 2 more complete EB (casters, replanting kit), and several sets of casters for a great price (and free shipping).

I have 14-15 now and have never paid for shipping.

I also made one with the lid inside and it took me all day. It was hard getting that lid inside. At that time, I decided that the EB is worth every penny.

I have also made an easier version, with a tray underneath for water - and net pots sitting in tray. I've used bricks the hold up other portions of the container, and am trying sturdy Styrofoam.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #18
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
One 5 gallon bucket holds 0.66 cubic feet so two would be 1.32

As was said the earth box will hold about 2 cubic feet but I think they advertize 2.5 cubic feet.

Big difference.

Worth
Probably 2.5 because you build a big mound higher than the edges; so rain with run off.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #19
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Bet they don't have deals during the growing season....shipping is horrible...ugh
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #20
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I have over a 100 self watering growing containers built from buckets and totes and 44 genuine Earthboxes. After spending over a thousand dollars buying Earthboxes from Earthbox themselves, they wouldn’t give me support. They even decline my registration request to join their Earthbox forum. I have belonged to dozens of forums over the years and have never been banned from any of them! I guess it must have been my blond hair they had a problem with.
Here is a link to a rather simple designed DIY box. Simple DIY Self Watering Grow Box
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Probably 2.5 because you build a big mound higher than the edges; so rain with run off.
Your right I just looked at the instructions and theu said to put a 2 inch mound on top.
Even they said 2 cubic feet not 2.5 that was something I read on a forum while looking.
I bet some of these folks dont even read the instructions, mostly men.

I like these things I dont need any but I like them.
I like the castors too.

Instructions.
http://earthbox.com/earthbox-pdf/EB-...IONS_NEW-2.pdf

Worth
Old March 11, 2015   #22
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

In Earthbox I grow two tomatoes of any kind. Mostly I grow indeterminate heirlooms and they get pretty big.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
Bet they don't have deals during the growing season....shipping is horrible...ugh
Your married right, can your spouse make them for you?

Looks to me all you need is a drill a hacksaw and something to cut the inside of the lid.

Worth
Old March 11, 2015   #24
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Early morning raid for recycling bins.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #25
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any concerns about "leaching" chemicals from the pvc or other plastics used in some of the diy? When reading saw that concern in some articles.
Old March 11, 2015   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

OK, I guess I have to speak up. I flat out love Earthboxes. Gardening is so much simpler, and my season is very extended because of them. We are infested with nematodes here in S. Fl., and the root knots form and starve the plants in around 2 months. The Earthboxes extend my season to close to 9 months. I have 43. They actually hold 2.8 cu ft of potting mix. The plastic does not breal down in the sunlight. People are getting 22 years and counting out of them. So you only buy them once. I bought a few Growboxes, trying to save money, and the Earthboxes are so superior to them that it isn't even close. My advice, bite the bullet and buy the Earthboxes, you won't be sorry at all. Then use Tomato Tone as your fert, and you will have delicious tomatoes and plants that just keep cranking them out like machines! I put 2 tomato plants in each, even indeterminates.
And no, I do not own stock in Earthbox or Tomato Tone!!!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #27
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
Do you have any concerns about "leaching" chemicals from the pvc or other plastics used in some of the diy? When reading saw that concern in some articles.
We are all doomed if PVC leaches dangerous chemicals. I think they use it for drinking water even in California?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #28
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Yep..spouse could..or son. I try to do my own thing if I can but could ask if I decide to try diy.
Old March 11, 2015   #29
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The buckets I use came from a local restaurant and had contained food products. You do have to know which plastics are safe and which are not.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
We are all doomed if PVC leaches dangerous chemicals. I think they use it for drinking water even in California?
There is nothing wrong with PVC I have had this argument many times with people saying you cant use it for drinking water.
I think I may know too much about the stuff.
I even worked in the plants that made it.

Most of the leaching that come from plastics is when you heat it anyway.

PVC is actually better than steel pipe because it doesn't harbor harmful bacteria like steel does.

Worth