Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2015   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Well Tracy, I am sure you already know this, but I have been experimenting with no till on untilled pasture/sod. Much like you say, just dig a hole for each plant right in the sod. However, I mulch a strip first then plant through the mulch paper and sod. The reason for this is mowing. To keep the grass from becoming a "weed" instead of a companion plant/living mulch, you need to mow between the rows. But one really cool thing about mowing is that the grassland biome co-evolved with ruminant grazers. (bison sheep deer etc...) So they respond to grazers/mowing with a specific set of physiological changes in the roots. In essence they respond by pumping sugars and other nutrients as well as carbon into the soil. They do that to fertilise the soil for rapid regrowth. The cool thing about it is that the fertilised soil will have your tomatoes growing in it. All you need to tap into that is a symbiosis with mycorrhizal fungi. Cheap to inoculate if the soil lacks them. The mycorrhizal fungi will transport the nutrients to the new dominant plant...in this case your tomatoes... every time you mow the grass between the rows. That was the first part. The second part was figuring out how to suppress the grasses and weeds right in the rows enough to allow your tomatoes to become dominant. newspaper cardboard and mulch does slow it down...but it eventually breaks through. Especially tough ones like Johnsongrass and Bermudagrass, things like that. I don't mind them in between the rows. Mower handles that just fine. But in the rows .. not so good. So two things I learned. One is just before you transplant mow to 2 inches...then EXACTLY 5 days later mow again right down flush to the ground as low as your mower goes. Immediately lay your paper and mulch over it. This stunts the grass long enough for your tomatoes to get up and out. I also add marigolds and basil between the tomato plants. Later in the year when the grasses finally start breaking through, cut flush to the ground, don't pull. Details can be found here: The Red Baron Project year one That first year it was my yard which was thick mostly bermudagrass. But following year I tried it in pasture. Just like what you have. I even let the between row grass get 6-8 inches tall before I mow. I figure the taller it is before I mow (without shading the tomatoes), the more mowing fertilises my plants. (use a mulching mower if you have one)

You might be surprised how well it works. It worked better than I thought it would when I came up with the crazy idea 4 years ago. Since then, every single day I have been working on this. Seriously..every day. I read every scrap of info about soil science and soil biology, permaculture, effects of carbon, and how it gets there..you name it. I do this to try and get and understanding of just what is going on. (and tweek it for even better results)

I even managed to grow sweetcorn with the concept........but modified even easier.

So I would say that since you are in a similar situation as I was...I couldn't plow or till either.....you might want to try it and see if it works for you too.

If you have questions, happy to help.
Wow! I always read your posts and I got the idea from you but I didn't know all that! Sounds good!
I was planning to mulch the walkways with leaves but may just mow instead.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #17
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Oops! I meant Troy. It's old, maybe 1990 era. My husband traded for it with a rental store but it runs great. Hubby is a good mechanic so he fixes when it breaks.
I will need to buy a mower. Haven't had a need. Little grass in AZ, except in my walkways that I weed whacked. Here, just my pasture and we had it brush hogged last summer since it was about 5 feet high.
Looks like a little Bermuda but that will take over now that the tall stuff is cut. Mostly fescue and some other stuff.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #18
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I will need to buy a mower.
I have been very happy with my mower. It is one of those that is a 3 way convertible. No attachments and it is a mulching mower. Add a bag to the back and it becomes a bagging mower that gives me grass clippings or can push over a pile of leaves to chop and bag them for mulch or compost. Remove the bag and add the side fixture and it blows grass clippings to the side in a more traditional manner. Useful for easily adding biomass from between the rows to the plants as mulch. I never had all these options on one mower before. AND I can mow anywhere from scalping the ground to 6 inches high with a simple flip of a lever. REALLY love the flexibility. Saves me SO much time.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote