Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2015   #16
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
JLJ posted;

(With regard to the name, it seems to me that it should remain Blackfoot, as it seems unlikely that clear evidence of a different known name will turn up at this point. )

I just reread the thread and I didn't see anyone who suggested changing the name, rather, challenging the possible histories that have been put forward for the name in the various links given.

You suggested a number of possibilities for the origin of the name Blackfoot, but alas, no factual data to support them.

So Blackfoot it was and Blackfoot it will remain, IMO.

Carolyn

Suggestions about changing the name were in the older threads referenced.

Point of the possibilities is to point out that Blackfoot name can have significance, even though it is unlikely to be a historical reference to 'Blackfoot' Indian tribe.

Glad you think that the Blackfoot name will/should persist, because I believe that in the older Tomatoville thread . . . :::cough, cough, cough, cough, cough::: . . . I've been gardening in our chilly damp spring weather too much, I guess.

:::Returning grumpily to taxing activities:::

JLJ
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #17
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes they do distinguiish between PL and RL as I mentioned above:

(When it comes to true RL's there's also LOTS of versions and that depends on the amount of dissections on the leaf edge and how deep they are. But all true RL's do have dissected leaves as opposed to the smooth edges of PL leaves.)

Carolyn
Ok Carolyn, I tried. Hopefully you can tell by the pics what is going on with these Blackfoot's.

These are all Blackfoot. Seed from same pack harvested at same time. All started and transplanted at same time.

Will the real Blackfoot please wave a leaf, that is if any of them are even close to looking like it is supposed too. It a new one for me, so I have no idea.

Was kinda windy while trying to take pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0626.JPG (112.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0628.JPG (89.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0630.JPG (87.8 KB, 67 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
good to know that Carolyn, I have a Microbeicum occemus seedling that has potato leaves and so there is still hope it will get regular leaves and come true.
Charline, if it is PL, it has to be a stray seed, because MO is regular leafed, and that's a dominant trait, so even if it was crossed with a PL, the leaf phenotype would be RL in the F1. Crosses while not impossible, are very unlikely in our winter growing conditions here, because the hallictidae are very inactive here in the winter, and we don't have very many bumblebees here at all.
My MO was open pollinated.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #19
charline
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Charline, if it is PL, it has to be a stray seed, because MO is regular leafed, and that's a dominant trait, so even if it was crossed with a PL, the leaf phenotype would be RL in the F1. Crosses while not impossible, are very unlikely in our winter growing conditions here, because the hallictidae are very inactive here in the winter, and we don't have very many bumblebees here at all.
My MO was open pollinated.

Marsha, dont worry, the seeds are not from you. They are french.
Stray seed is impossible because on this flat are only cherries and non of them is PL. But it looks like its going to change to regular.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #20
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Medium to large sized, beautiful red oxheart tomatoes. Super meaty! Semi-determinate plants with wispy foliage.

Large sweet, heart shaped fruit. ... Indeterminate, 80-90 days, regular leaf plant.

Oh the ones I have coming up are not potato leaf types.

Last edited by joseph; April 8, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
Marsha, dont worry, the seeds are not from you. They are french.
Stray seed is impossible because on this flat are only cherries and non of them is PL. But it looks like its going to change to regular.
Ooops! My bad! I was thinking it was from my this year's seed offe. Sorry, my friend.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Ok Carolyn, I tried. Hopefully you can tell by the pics what is going on with these Blackfoot's.

These are all Blackfoot. Seed from same pack harvested at same time. All started and transplanted at same time.

Will the real Blackfoot please wave a leaf, that is if any of them are even close to looking like it is supposed too. It a new one for me, so I have no idea.

Was kinda windy while trying to take pic.
Yes, both RL and PL is what I see and I guess it's supposed to be RL, so it looks that the seeds you got were not true to the variety,

Carolyn, but, you could always select a couple or RL seedlings to put out as well as a couple of PL plants to see what you get.
Old April 8, 2015   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Medium to large sized, beautiful red oxheart tomatoes. Super meaty! Semi-determinate plants with wispy foliage.

Large sweet, heart shaped fruit. ... Indeterminate, 80-90 days, regular leaf plant.

Oh the ones I have coming up are not potato leaf types.
Looks like reviews are as varied as my plants.

Quote:
Yes, both RL and PL is what I see and I guess it's supposed to be RL, so it looks that the seeds you got were not true to the variety,

Carolyn, but, you could always select a couple or RL seedlings to put out as well as a couple of PL plants to see what you get.
Thanks Carolyn. I'm going to grow them all out. I'm curious to see how they will grow. All that different different type of foliage threw me for a loop since last year was the first time I ever grew a PL foliage tomato. I've always had RL's. I was fascinated by the foliage watching it grow.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote