Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 15, 2009   #16
01GTB
Tomatovillian™

I would definitely recommend a controller and remote 24V valve as well. While I would not personally use the Orbit controller, I'm sure it will do the job. Do go with an outdoor controller though. The indoor type with external tranformer are not a great idea for outdoors. An outdoor model will have the transformer inside the controller housing with a wiring pigtail. Use a ★★★★★★★★ box and tap the 120 at the pump. This is the safest, permanent install. If you do use a version with an external transformer, make sure it is kept in a weather-proof housing of some sort.

Provided the pump is always on, you simply tee into your mainline (couple ways to do that) and install your valve. I'd also recommend installing a ball valve before the electric valve in the event that you need to do some repair in the future. They are dirt cheap and no reason not to use one. And while you are at it, when you tee out, build a manifold with a couple capped tees for future valves. Also, if you happen to be working with PVC, the less threaded fittings you have before the valve, the less chance you have for leaks. I would use slip valves that you directly cement the pipe into. I personally use Irritrol valves most of the time, but the stuff you find at HD and Lowes will likely be relabeled Irritrol anyway.

After the valve I would install a decent filter and pressure regulator. I personally would put my ball valve and electric valves in one big valve box and put the regulator and filter in another. It will be easy to get to and safe from accidents, and from UV damage. Nothing gets your attention like bumping a brittle pressurized pipe and having it go off

What you do beyond that is up to you. I use Rainbird Xeri green stripe funny pipe in my tomato patch. And use spot spitters, since I grow all of mine in containers. There are many different kind of emitters to choose from. Roberts Shrubblers are also pretty convenient. You can easily adjust the output on those. Another option would be Netafim, or Rainbird's XF dripline. Basically it has a drip emmiter (which just looks like a hole from the outside)every 1 to 2 feet that drips at the rate of a less than 1 gph per hole.

I know this might sound really complicated, but there really isn't that much to it. The most important thing is to know the size of the planting area and number of plants. And to know how much volume the pump will deliver. The only way to get an accurate number is to take a measurement after you tap into the mainline. Taking it inside the house would likely give you a number much less than what you are capable of. Say you get a number of 12 gpm. I would feel comfortable letting my drip system operate at 7 or 8 gpm. If you were using the 6.6 gph Spot Spitters like I am, you could run roughly 65 of them at one time. The dripline like the XF would no doubt run off of one valve. It would just have to run for a longer time.

If any of that interests you, I'd be happy to take some pictures of exactly how to do everything. I have all the parts on hand, so it wouldn't be problem to do that. I could probably set it up in ten minutes. And as they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.
01GTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #17
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I've never had much luck with watering systems with our hard water and well. It clogs up in no time. I use 5 gal water bottles with a few holes poked in the bottom. I got the bottles free from the water man because I give him free tomatoes. I just make sure they're full to the top before I leave. We call it our hillbilly irrigation system
Old January 15, 2009   #18
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

01GTB - You are wonderful! I'm just buzzing through mail now & need to come back to think about your much appreciated input but wanted to promptly thank you for your advice. Thanks all of you folks!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011   #19
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

Default Soaker hoses in clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormymater View Post
thanks Ami - the hunt begins... will go with soaker hoses this year & hunt down a good timer. Have the neighbors saving newspaper (our paper is small LOL).

Hi, I have heavy clay that gets sticky. liquifies when wet,,,, and fills the soaker hoses, any ideas on this?
Rainforest Tom is offline   Reply With Quote