Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2015   #16
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I should try it.
One more way to enjoy tomatoes.

You really should. You might not like them or you could love them!
They are kind of tart, little spicy, and crunchy. They are right up my alley, flavorwise. We always cook 2 or 3 batches every Summer.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

We have them nearly every weekend all summer into fall. For us it is just another way to enjoy the harvest. Always paired with stuffed zucchini flowers. As a side dish or for breakfast i often crack a couple eggs in the pan or a 4 egg scramble and ham or bacon for a frittata.
Being in zone 5a in the Catskill Mnts., at altitude, i have a challenging tomato harvest.

With 75-100 tomatoes and many varieties i try every year, i get a mixed harvest most weekends....many i pick at first blush and a bit green. (i prefer to have many ripening on my counter to catch that perfect ripe during the work week). Plenty ripen on the vine.

I grow zucchini just for the flowers. And of course get the few baseball bats hidden.(that is about enough for me) The small ones i pick and stuff with the flowers.

I just use a whipped egg, dip, then dredge in seasoned corn flour and/or a bit of panko.
Often just the one bottom side going into a cast iron skillet.

The flowers i take out the inside center stamin and stuff with herbed goat cheese or feta mixed with a bit if greek yogurt. It is a nice pairing with the tart warm green toms.
An ear of corn off the cob, some garden peas and basil make a nice EasternShore succotash if tossed on top, covered and steamed a bit. And a dab of butter.

i'll try and add this pic...but being my first post i'm not so sure. : )
-nope, that is not going to happen if i need a hosting site. I'm used to zip-done from my iCloud and desktop...(i'll look into other options)...oh well. I do like visuals...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #18
oakley
Tomatovillian™

edit-trying to figure out how i added this photo (i'll search photo help)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 10.34.45 AM.jpg (181.6 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by oakley; June 28, 2015 at 06:07 AM. Reason: trying to figure out how i added this image
Old June 27, 2015   #19
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

looks amazing! now i'm hungry

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #20
oakley
Tomatovillian™

oh good, the photo is showing but good luck telling me how i did that....
Old June 27, 2015   #21
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

whatever you did - it worked

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #22
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Now I'm craving them. Must get some bacon tomorrow for fried green tomato blt
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I remember my grandfather made them when I was under 10 years old, but I don't remember if I ate one or not.

Fried Green Tomatoes is on my list of things to try.
So is Gazpacho.

The pictures on this thread do look very appetizing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #24
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
We have them nearly every weekend all summer into fall. For us it is just another way to enjoy the harvest. Always paired with stuffed zucchini flowers. As a side dish or for breakfast i often crack a couple eggs in the pan or a 4 egg scramble and ham or bacon for a frittata.
Being in zone 5a in the Catskill Mnts., at altitude, i have a challenging tomato harvest.

With 75-100 tomatoes and many varieties i try every year, i get a mixed harvest most weekends....many i pick at first blush and a bit green. (i prefer to have many ripening on my counter to catch that perfect ripe during the work week). Plenty ripen on the vine.

I grow zucchini just for the flowers. And of course get the few baseball bats hidden.(that is about enough for me) The small ones i pick and stuff with the flowers.

I just use a whipped egg, dip, then dredge in seasoned corn flour and/or a bit of panko.
Often just the one bottom side going into a cast iron skillet.

The flowers i take out the inside center stamin and stuff with herbed goat cheese or feta mixed with a bit if greek yogurt. It is a nice pairing with the tart warm green toms.
An ear of corn off the cob, some garden peas and basil make a nice EasternShore succotash if tossed on top, covered and steamed a bit. And a dab of butter.

i'll try and add this pic...but being my first post i'm not so sure. : )
-nope, that is not going to happen if i need a hosting site. I'm used to zip-done from my iCloud and desktop...(i'll look into other options)...oh well. I do like visuals...

Your recipe for the Zucchini flowers sound delicious Oakley. My wife makes quesadillas with the flowers and I love them too! Nice pics also. Thanks for the ideas.
Old June 28, 2015   #25
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I remember my grandfather made them when I was under 10 years old, but I don't remember if I ate one or not.

Fried Green Tomatoes is on my list of things to try.
So is Gazpacho.

The pictures on this thread do look very appetizing.

Robert, I recommend using the Louisiana fish fry mix for batter, if they have it in your part of Texas. We were frying some bass and bream and I decided to try the mix on the
green tomatoes too. They were the best I ever had. I am craving some more and plan to cook them again later today.
Old June 28, 2015   #26
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I got a late German Johnson in the garden. Guess what they gonna be?

tee hee
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #27
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Robert, I recommend using the Louisiana fish fry mix for batter, if they have it in your part of Texas. We were frying some bass and bream and I decided to try the mix on the
green tomatoes too. They were the best I ever had. I am craving some more and plan to cook them again later today.
I just put the fish fry on my shopping list.
I tried to catch some bass yesterday but they just weren't biting. I really need to filet blue gills, we have far too many. i can hardly catch a catfish, between the bluegill stealing my bait and the turtles getting caught on it.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #28
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I just put the fish fry on my shopping list.
I tried to catch some bass yesterday but they just weren't biting. I really need to filet blue gills, we have far too many. i can hardly catch a catfish, between the bluegill stealing my bait and the turtles getting caught on it.

Thats too funny.
Old June 28, 2015   #29
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We normal use a eggwash/cornmeal & salt/pepper to taste. I'm going to try to find the Louisiana mix & try that.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #30
oakley
Tomatovillian™

The Louisiana mix is corn meal and corm flour. And of course a special creole blend of spices. It is a good one. I used to live in NewOrleans.
I've been grinding my own flours and making spice mixes so i just make a similar one.

If you want a lighter less fried taste, just egg wash and flour the bottom side. Then pan sear. I like to see that beauty tomato and the zuc flowers...and i still get the full flavor.