Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2015   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, Okay. I was not being helpful above.

Black - This may have another name now. It was sent to me a few years back as Blue Cherry.

BlueCherry1.JPG

Pink -Yukon Quest, Rozalinda

YukonQuest1.JPG

Roz2.JPG[

Yellow - Utyonok has amazing flavor.

Utyonok2.JPG

Red - Iditarod Red

IditarodRedF71.JPG

Orange - Angora Orange

AngoraOrng2.JPG

Green - Dwarf Kelley Green

KelleyGreen1.jpg

Bicolor - Maiden's Fire

MaidensFire4.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #17
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
First off, I agree with Dar about the approximate size. I thought about this for a day and could only come up with these two points.

1. I refer to tomatoes of a certain size as "Saladette". This is for my own purposes. I have cherry, saladette, slicer, beefsteak, and Holy Cow as my size standards.

2. A salad tomato is the one I just put into my salad. I might have to cut it up a bit. There is no size restriction on what can go into my salads. The tomato only has to taste good.

Now don't get me wrong. I've sliced up Tommy Toe's to make a BLT. Sorry Dar, it's just not a complex subject to me. If it tastes good, we eat it. If it tastes "passable", it might end up in the tomato juice I can each year. If it's too large to be consumed in one bite, I cut it up.

Too many folks seem to thrive on overly complicating things.

JMHO
Where's the Like button when you need it?

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #18
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
First off, I agree with Dar about the approximate size. I thought about this for a day and could only come up with these two points.

1. I refer to tomatoes of a certain size as "Saladette". This is for my own purposes. I have cherry, saladette, slicer, beefsteak, and Holy Cow as my size standards.

2. A salad tomato is the one I just put into my salad. I might have to cut it up a bit. There is no size restriction on what can go into my salads. The tomato only has to taste good.

Now don't get me wrong. I've sliced up Tommy Toe's to make a BLT. Sorry Dar, it's just not a complex subject to me. If it tastes good, we eat it. If it tastes "passable", it might end up in the tomato juice I can each year. If it's too large to be consumed in one bite, I cut it up.

Too many folks seem to thrive on overly complicating things.

JMHO
Makes sense to me! also want to add , I'd rather put sliced cherry tomatoes (considered salad tomatoes) from my summer gardens rather a california deli slicer from the store.. I might have to ask or start a new thread but, heard on a cooking show, believe it was Bobby flay mentioning a plum tomatoe variety will taste much better after the grow season than an off season beef slicer.. I wouldn't know yet but going to grow a few plums and find out in the fall. Any suggestions appreciated.
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #19
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

red matina
orange jaune flamee
yellow medovaya kaplya

yes it looks like yellow pear, and he might say, "i said NO yellow pear". just tell him, try it first, then say something.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #20
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Red - Stupice or Belyi Naliv or Juliet F1
Pink - Sophie's Choice
Orange - Jaunne Flamee
Yellow - Porkchop?
Green - Green Zebra
Black - Purple Russian or Darth Mater
Bi - Blush