Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 14, 2015   #16
GreenFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainmike View Post
Here you go folks . Now you can get an idea of the average size of the Big Beef tomato's I'm getting off this plant . They are a bit larger then my Better Boys . And no cracking at all .
jpm
that is a beautiful head, looks delicious!
GreenFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #17
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
Beautiful! My first year growing Big Beef. Loving it!
Do you have any pictures of yours ? Anyone else have pictures of their Big Beef tomato's ?

jpm
justplainmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #18
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of yours ? Anyone else have pictures of their Big Beef tomato's ?

jpm
Here are some pics of a Big Beef tunnel grow I did in 09. The year Big Beef was released I grew it, the next year I grew it in a tunnel. It has been my tunnel variety since! I've tried many other varieties since, but NONE have even came close to quality or productivity.

Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #19
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Just fantastic wow
Old August 15, 2015   #20
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Ok folks here is the out come .
jpm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big beef 001 (640x480).jpg (208.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg big beef 004 (800x600).jpg (188.9 KB, 72 views)
Old August 15, 2015   #21
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

JPM - It looks delicious!!!

Hellman's - Thanks for sharing your pictures - I loved the progression. I have BB seeds I bought in 2013 from Parkseed - unopened. My germination from PS is really good but don't seem to grow into healthy plants. I stopped buying from PS at the end of 2013 due to this.

If I'm going to plant BB seeds for the fall season I need to do it soon so I don't want to mess with the PS seeds if where the seeds originate matter. Where do you get your seeds / who do you suggest? Need someone that mails out quickly too.

Thanks,
Barb
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #22
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Barb , Good Lord I got these plants from HD . "Bonnie Plants" The old fella that I did business with passed away last winter so I just picked these up for the heck of it . But I also picked up a Bonnie Plants Mr. Stripey which is a huge disappointment for me . I planted it in the ground and pampered it thinking I would be getting some big sandwich tomato's and they are all like golf balls .
The plant is showcase though !!! I'm thinking of starting mine at home but I've never done it . I do not have an east facing window or a south for that matter that I can use .
jpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
JPM - It looks delicious!!!

Hellman's - Thanks for sharing your pictures - I loved the progression. I have BB seeds I bought in 2013 from Parkseed - unopened. My germination from PS is really good but don't seem to grow into healthy plants. I stopped buying from PS at the end of 2013 due to this.

If I'm going to plant BB seeds for the fall season I need to do it soon so I don't want to mess with the PS seeds if where the seeds originate matter. Where do you get your seeds / who do you suggest? Need someone that mails out quickly too.

Thanks,
Barb
Old August 15, 2015   #23
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
... I have BB seeds I bought in 2013 from Parkseed - unopened. My germination from PS is really good but don't seem to grow into healthy plants. I stopped buying from PS at the end of 2013 due to this...
Like you, I also have a package of 2013 Park Seed Big Beef F1 seeds. I have great confidence in what I purchased since they have grown true for me without issue in 2013, 2014 and 2015, and I'll finish them next year.

I also have 2015 BB F1 seeds from McKenzie Seeds here in Canada. If you like, I would be happy to swap some of these for your unopened Park Seed BB. I PM'd you earlier today on Klee's "New F1" seeds so we may want to do this swap in that offer.

rg

Last edited by RJGlew; August 15, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #24
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Like you, I also have a package of 2013 Park Seed Big Beef F1 seeds. I have great confidence in what I purchased since they have grown true for me without issue in 2013, 2014 and 2015, and I'll finish them next year.

I also have 2015 BB F1 seeds from McKenzie Seeds here in Canada. If you like, I would be happy to swap some of these for your unopened Park Seed BB. I PM'd you earlier today on Klee's "New F1" seeds so we may want to do this swap in that offer.

rg
RJ ,
What kind of growing season do you have there ?
jpm
Old August 15, 2015   #25
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
RJ ,
What kind of growing season do you have there ?
jpm
We plant out in the 1st or 2nd week in June and our first frost is typically the 2nd or 3rd week in Sept (Sep 8th last year). I typically get the first 2 trusses of BB ripening here, and the 3rd in a good year. So far this year it looks like 3 trusses - touch wood.

In the picture, 1 is BB, 2 is Steak Sandwich, 3 is Moskvich, 4 is Early Girl, 5 is 4th of July, 6 is Stupice and 7 is Arctic Fire.

Every year I daringly plant a single 80 DTM variety. Some times it works, most times it does not.

Most tomatoheads here have greenhouses, but I do not.

rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes.jpg (37.7 KB, 55 views)
Old August 15, 2015   #26
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

All these tomato pictures are mouth watering. I haven't had a tomato since early July. Last year made it to early August but it was exceptionally hot and dry in April/May. No fruit set, but what was growing was absolutely delicious.

RJG - sending you a PM
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #27
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

RJ , Well you have a nice crop going for you there . Which part of Alberta are you from?
jpm
Old August 15, 2015   #28
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

OMG Barb I just looked up Indialantic FL . You are in the Atlantic for sure !!! Do you live in a hurricane bunker cause you are right in Andrew territory there ?
jpm

Quote:
All these tomato pictures are mouth watering. I haven't had a tomato since early July. Last year made it to early August but it was exceptionally hot and dry in April/May. No fruit set, but what was growing was absolutely delicious.

RJG - sending you a PM
Old August 15, 2015   #29
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
RJ , Well you have a nice crop going for you there . Which part of Alberta are you from?
jpm
FULL DISCLOSURE - that pic is not from this season - I'm just midway through my earlies right now. I have piles of big green midseasons, but no blushes yet. The hybrids are loaded, as are Sakharnyi Pudovichok and Sakharnyi Zheltyi, and the heirlooms are typically so-so.

I am in Calgary, a Zone 3a location. We are on the lee side of the Rockies so super dry. At 3,450ft, we tend to have hot days & cool nights - most people here do not have home air conditioners. Folks here with greenhouses tend to plant out very large plants from large pots and get a significant jump on folks like me who plant out typical seedlings.
Old August 15, 2015   #30
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm wondering if any of you have given these a shot ?

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/gar...s/200803010163

jpm
B54red lists them as one of his three best fall tomatoes, if I remember correctly.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote