Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2015   #16
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
I think Celebrity is actually semi-determinate as well ..

to bad for me it is not as cooperative as the others listed in my climate.

I really like the disease resistance built in just in case........

but it never quite comes to the table early enough for me here.....

same here it has been a let down for the last two years..

my neighbor grow's park's whopper and she swears by it..

i don't know she does it but she keeps the whopper plants short..

i must ask but she is alaska right now

i get to water her garden for two weeks when her husband joins her teehee!
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #17
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

In Tatiana's site ...... Legend is listed as an semi-determinate as well.

could be ok with the reported Late blight resistance .

What do you all think ??
Old June 8, 2015   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the interesting info.
Our season is so short that I don't think any determinate actually comes to the end of their life span.. so that is not an issue here. It would be an interesting experiment to see a determinate plant go through their whole life cycle, produce fruit and then give up their ghost... Here it is only cold weather and frost that puts an end to the season for all, indet. and det. alike. No discrimination there... lol
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #19
berkeleyluddite
Tomatovillian™

In the past, I have grown semi-determinates plants such as Black Seaman and Principe Borghese. The one thing I thought was interesting was that semi-det tasted better in container vs. raised bed. In fact, the Principe Borghese from container had higher acidity and firmer texture...

Last edited by berkeleyluddite; June 8, 2015 at 04:18 AM.
berkeleyluddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
In Tatiana's site ...... Legend is listed as an semi-determinate as well.

could be ok with the reported Late blight resistance .

What do you all think ??
I don't know about Tatiana. Where she got her information from ? OSU, who has developed Legend calls it a Determinant.
Here is a quote:
"The Legend plant appears to be stronger, with larger stiffer leaves than the other two varieties. Legend is a determinate plant, typically spreading to 36 inches in good growing conditions. "

I grew Legend last year and am growing it again this year. Besides being parthenocarpic, it is fairly disease resistance, including LB too.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Thanks all for the interesting info.
Our season is so short that I don't think any determinate actually comes to the end of their life span.. so that is not an issue here. It would be an interesting experiment to see a determinate plant go through their whole life cycle, produce fruit and then give up their ghost... Here it is only cold weather and frost that puts an end to the season for all, indet. and det. alike. No discrimination there... lol
But if you were to move a few select containers inside a protected area to extend the plant a few months ......the extended ..stretched "window of production" would be an advantage ....and not all plants would have to die right away .

Fresh tomatoes ....after the usual climate terminus. Production "stretched" but not continuous.

Not the commitment of keeping a continual indeterminate going through Winter (expensive ).
just the stretch of production by letting the Semi produce a bit longer (with help).
Old June 8, 2015   #22
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyluddite View Post
In the past, I have grown semi-determinates plants such as Black Seaman and Principe Borghese. The one thing I thought was interesting was that semi-set tasted better in container vs. raised bed. In fact, the Principe Borghese from container had higher acidity and texture...
Are Black Sea Mann and princepe bourghese Semi-determinate also ?????

a lot of people like these ....if they were Semi as well they have my attention ...

where to confirm this all ????
Old June 8, 2015   #23
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I don't know about Tatiana. Where she got her information from ? OSU, who has developed Legend calls it a Determinant.
Here is a quote:
"The Legend plant appears to be stronger, with larger stiffer leaves than the other two varieties. Legend is a determinate plant, typically spreading to 36 inches in good growing conditions. "

I grew Legend last year and am growing it again this year. Besides being parthenocarpic, it is fairly disease resistance, including LB too.

Gardeneer
I grew legend before and could believe it was a semi-determinate ...

hmmmmmm rechecking the site it says on the Legend variety page " Semi-Determinate growth habit."..... but is not listed on the actual SD category list ......

If someone lists it as a semi-determinate growth habit ...I think there is something to it ....but even if it turns out to be determinate ..it might be a longer spectrum production window still . eeeeeeeks this can get fuzzy distinctions again .
Old June 8, 2015   #24
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Belyi naliv

Also on Tatiana's tomatobase

under container suitable tomatoes ...

is Belyi Naliv it is listed as Det./Semi-Det.

I think this is a good one to follow up.

Early/compact /productive ....but certainly it is seemingly falling in the Semi-det.
spectrum territory.
Old June 8, 2015   #25
berkeleyluddite
Tomatovillian™

Both PB and BS are identified as both semi-det and set... I say they are both semi-det because the tomatoes ripen at different stages whereas determinate tomatoes usually ripen on vine at the same time.

http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloo...mato-seed.html

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestor...ea-Man-OG.html
berkeleyluddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #26
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyluddite View Post
Both PB and BS are identified as both semi-det and set... I say they are both semi-det because the tomatoes ripen at different stages whereas determinate tomatoes usually ripen on vine at the same time.

http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloo...mato-seed.html

http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestor...ea-Man-OG.html
awesome investigation /research

thanks
Old June 9, 2015   #27
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
same here it has been a let down for the last two years..

my neighbor grow's park's whopper and she swears by it..

i don't know she does it but she keeps the whopper plants short..

i must ask but she is alaska right now

i get to water her garden for two weeks when her husband joins her teehee!
celebrity hybrid .....Bah !

I checked out today and everything that had blossoms had set fruit long time ago this year

everything .....BUT Celebrity ! ?

everything including Black prince , black cherry, sasha's Altai, galinas...Big beef, sungold , bloody butcher ,Juliet, sweet Chelsea,,Bush early girl , la roma , etc. etc. etc. but Not celebrity !

I value the High disease resistance rating , and that it is Semi-determinate ....I was hoping that it would be a good one in the heat this year ...it seems to take much longer for me than
the others and I never get the production of ...Big beef .

soo....I am at the point where This is the last year ..if I can not spot the advantage/value in Celebrity Hybrid over Big beef hybrid....as Big beef seems to me to work in containers as well is easily trained to the size even if it is an indeterminate ....I guess in this case the Celebrity could be longer getting going and with the high disease resistance ...could still be a good plant for extended harvest and finishing off in a protected fall location.

I am getting impatient ....what about the cool years ? ...this celebrity would never do at this rate . It sure is famous and has that impressive disease resistance ....but it seems to be behind all the rest already ???? It still is a nice plant ...so I will hold off for a bit more.
Old June 9, 2015   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ask in the, "Wanted" section for some older Celebrity seeds. Something has changed recently about Celebrity. Hybrids are not the answer. It is getting kind of retro in a bad kind of way.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #29
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Bear, my season already extens until October, due to the sheltered location. After that, it is so dark that there is no way to grow a pot plant on a windowsill.. the leaves might survive, but without light, no hope for fruits.
I once succeeded in having a peppermint plant survive over winter.. it was a sorry sight in December! The first January sunrays perked it up.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #30
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Ask in the, "Wanted" section for some older Celebrity seeds. Something has changed recently about Celebrity. Hybrids are not the answer. It is getting kind of retro in a bad kind of way.
I think there must have been a change in celebrity as how in the heck could it get the "all American award " thing and have hybrid vigour and all that disease resistance ...and come out at the end of the pack ...slower ...less productive ...etc.

I agree hybrids are not the answer .....but I have some hybrids to "be a safety belt"

in case if environmental calamity befalls the year (climate or pathogen etc.)

My usual standard are a few Big beef/Sungold /Juliet ...

if I do not see some advantage ....with the famous disease factor and the fruit production being later ....I am done with celebrity...I have so many others heirloom and hybrids that
are doing better in cool or heat . I kind of hope it does better ...but this can be a hybrid problem ....when is a celebrity ...not a celebrity ? How do you tell you have celebrity "old" (original ) from "celebrity new " ?