Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 6, 2006   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Colorado, since I don't have a greenhouse, they go outside as soon as it doesn't frost anymore (though I got bitten a bit this year). Some of the seedlings have been outside for 4 weeks.

One thing I forgot to mention - I leave the newly transplanted seedlings in the garage for a few days to settle down before going outside. The intense sun can really bake them with their redeveloping root system, and I find that a 2 day rest in the shade helps them survive.
Old April 6, 2006   #17
sandman619
Tomatovillian™

So, as I clicked on this thread and it loaded the picture my girlfriend walks in to the office to talk to me, looks at the picture, looks at me, and says "Dont even think about it!".

sandman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2006   #18
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Moucher,

Here's a place that sells cases or hobby packs. Search "pots". Good prices, I think, but I buy by the case.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/igcusastore/Home.asp

Lisa

P.S. Instead of plastic labels, we decided to use peel-n-stick labels computer printed with waterproof ink. A time-saver, I think, and the children could easily help with this task.
Old April 6, 2006   #19
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I think you need a bigger driveway!
Just amazing.
Old April 6, 2006   #20
natural
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

My drive looks very similar to yours. Same KORD pots and trays, but not as many plants. You are right about the cost. I've been buying these by the case for a few years, and they definitely went up in price this year. For mix, I use the FAFARD Organic #20 Mix. It's the only one that I can get around easily around here.

My method for transplanting is slightly different. I dump the dry mix into a large tub and then pour/spray warm water into the tub and mix until damp. I also dip the roots of the transplant into a weak solution of fish emulsion before transplanting. This usually works really well, but this year a few leaves turn rather bright yellow within a day or two. Could this be from too strong of a solution?

I think I will try your dry mix method from now on. It is really difficult to mix in the water in the large tubs and get it evenly moist. I always worried that pouring the water into the dry mix would disturb the new transplant.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #21
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Very impressive Craig. I find the number of seedlings you manage to start with no greenhouse quite amazing. Well done, your babies look beautiful.
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #22
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

This place seems like good prices for bulk amounts of inserts, But any place that sells the lesser amounts sure goes up in price.

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.c...TOKEN=79234689
Old April 7, 2006   #23
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to have to show these pictures to my wife. She teases me about my seedlings, which are under grow lights in the garage... and I don't have near the number that you have.
Last night, they issued a tornado warning for our area, and since we don't have a basement, she called my sister to see if we could come over to their house... just in case. My wife grabbed a notebook which has gobs of genealogical research she has done. I asked if I could take my babies, and pointed to the garage. Needless to say, the plants stayed behind. But, they were OK.
Old April 7, 2006   #24
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link to the nursery supply website, Craig. That's just what I was looking for.
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2006   #25
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

You too, veggiecanner!
Old April 8, 2006   #26
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the play-by-play, Craig!

I've tried a similar method before but, using dry mix, it ended up up a giant mess. The plants got all pfloofy by the time I was able to moisten that hydrophobic stuff. And I wasn't near as fast as you. I think you must wear your super-powered Superman underpants while doing it.

I did time myself yesterday and was doing about 50-60 per hour (my method) so I guess I'll quit my whining and just be happy with that.

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2006   #27
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Lisa/Miss Mudcat, I'm sorry. I'm sure Craig's a great guy and all, but on re-reading your post about nursery supplies more carefully, I see my thanks to Craig should have been directed to you!
Old April 12, 2006   #28
Cyn
Tomatovillian™

Default wow

Hey Criag,
these plants look great.

I am selling the last runts of my crop - and replanting a couple of varieties because two folks had their plants damp off.

I love your banks and banks of seedlings - you are my hero.
Cyn
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2006   #29
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The key, I find, is to keep the reserves coming in! We moved about 1000 seedlings the first week, and immediately continued the transplanting so that we have an array of seedlings at different stages of size. At least the evenings are getting warm - and it is really pleasant working out in the garage at night, with the crickets chirping, etc....
Old April 13, 2006   #30
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could leave plants outs side over night. 32 this morning when I looked. No Greenhouse either and about 2000 plants. Porch has plastic up and heat from house and small heater extra when needed. I have just now started not to use the heater at night. Not enough room on porch. Got plants every where as really too many I guess. Starting to put some out side during the day. I would use the front lawn. Just open porch door and set them out there. I can't now as tree service with be out there taking down trees. I am trying to figure out a another way to get plants out in sun.

Craig , my question is just how cold of nights can the tomato stand and not stop the growing.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote