Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 5, 2013   #1
salix
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, your English is quite understandable. I enjoy reading your posts, thank you for sharing your pictures.
Old September 6, 2013   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Enjoyed viewing your photos Vladimír,keep em coming

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2013   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I also enjoy your posts Vladmir. I very seldom have any trouble understanding your English.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Vladimir, just letting you know that tonight I watched those two wonderful Czech ladies beat Serena and Venus Williams in a doubles match at the US Tennis Open.

I think many were surprised by the result, but those two women played a terrific match.

Both are blondes. Is blonde hair common for womens hair color in the Czech Republic?

Just curious.

Carolyn, who wished she could spell their names, but it would mean going elsewhere and copying them down to post here.
Old September 7, 2013   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Vladimir, just letting you know that tonight I watched those two wonderful Czech ladies beat Serena and Venus Williams in a doubles match at the US Tennis Open.

I think many were surprised by the result, but those two women played a terrific match.

Both are blondes. Is blonde hair common for womens hair color in the Czech Republic?

Just curious.

Carolyn, who wished she could spell their names, but it would mean going elsewhere and copying them down to post here.
US Open begun in TV Eurosport 1 from midnight our time. I looked only women singles. Finale of mix and semifinal of womens double wasn´t in TV Eurosport. I like Andrea Hlaváčková for her optimism and gladness from tennis
Yes, blonde hairs are common for womens hair color in the Czech Republic, alike in Germany, but less than Scandinavia or Netherlands. For example my mother was blond and I had blond hair as a child too. From Czech tennis player had blond hairs Jana Novotná from Brno.Martina Navrátilová I don´t know. It is 7 p.m. and I look at match Djokovic- Wawrinka.
I wish a nice afternoon with tennis in TV. Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; September 7, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #6
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Do you mushroom too?
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25092013553.jpg (326.9 KB, 104 views)
Old September 25, 2013   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir I have enjoyed you pictures very much.
You might be surprised to know that many Texans come from your country as my family came from Germany.
Many years ago they came to central Texas as it reminded them of home.

In many small towns they still speak in their native language.
As for the blonde hair I too was born with it now it is what we call dishwater blond.

I would like to go to eastern Europe some day.
I got to go there many years ago and had a great time it was like being home again.
Many people in our group didn't get along too well there.
I got along just fine and thought everyone was very nice.
I think it was my straight forwad honest attitude that made the difference.

Accepting other people's way of life can take you very far in an other land.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Vladimir I have enjoyed you pictures very much.
You might be surprised to know that many Texans come from your country as my family came from Germany.
Many years ago they came to central Texas as it reminded them of home.

In many small towns they still speak in their native language.
As for the blonde hair I too was born with it now it is what we call dishwater blond.

I would like to go to eastern Europe some day.
I got to go there many years ago and had a great time it was like being home again.
Many people in our group didn't get along too well there.
I got along just fine and thought everyone was very nice.
I think it was my straight forwad honest attitude that made the difference.

Accepting other people's way of life can take you very far in an other land.

Worth
Worth, of course I didn´t know about Czech in Texas. I lived fourty years in the country, where the censorship wielded the press and those Czechs which exited republic after 1948 year as if they died (for example Lendl, Navrátilová, Forman, Madelene Albright). About USA was feasible to write only that what was bad. I got to hear something about Czechs in Texas in April this year (after emergency in the town West). Czech government got to West 250000 dolars, were some offerings of money and four children form West came to Prague. This all was at TV.
Vladimír
Old September 25, 2013   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Lovely photos, Vladimir! Enjoyed the story about the castle, too. Funny to name it after a squirrel hunt!

I do love mushrooms and have tried to learn which ones in my area are edible. While I am fairly certain I've identified a few good and choice ones, there are too many dangerous ones here for me to take a chance. So there is only one that I will pick and eat. That one is called the Lion's mane, or bearded mushroom. It doesn't look like anything else, so I know it is safe! It is also very tasty!

Is that a type of bolete in your basket?

Last edited by livinonfaith; September 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Lovely photos, Vladimir! Enjoyed the story about the castle, too. Funny to name it after a squirrel hunt!

I do love mushrooms and have tried to learn which ones in my area are edible. While I am fairly certain I've identified a few good and choice ones, there are too many dangerous ones here for me to take a chance. So there is only one that I will pick and eat. That one is called the Lion's mane, or bearded mushroom. It doesn't look like anything else, so I know it is safe! It is also very tasty!

Is that a type of bolete in your basket?
Every Czech (Slovak too) is mushroom- picker. It is mania. There are many book about mushroom, it write about mushrooms in news papers and magazines and they are at TV too. The children learn from the parents and at the school too. They mainly learn to cognize toadstools, but it is sorrowful, that some Czech peoples také poision every year.: (
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg As at book.jpg (302.4 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; September 27, 2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old October 26, 2013   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, as I can see you've got very similar country habits with Belarus and Russia. Almost everybody knows which mushrooms are good and used to pick them from May until early November. And there are even winter edible mushrooms!
we call it "quiet hunting" and we are passionate mushroom hunters with my younger daughter as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Every Czech (Slovak too) is mushroom- picker. It is mania. There are many book about mushroom, it write about mushrooms in news papers and magazines and they are at TV too. The children learn from the parents and at the school too. They mainly learn to cognize toadstools, but it is sorrowful, that some Czech peoples také poision every year.: (
Vladimír

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; October 26, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Vladimir, as I can see you've got very similar country habits with Belarus and Russia. Almost everybody knows which mushrooms are good and used to pick them from May until early November. And there are even winter edible mushrooms!
we call it "quiet hunting" and we are passionate mushroom hunters with my younger daughter as well
Andrey, you are right. I don´t wonder, because Czech, Russian,Slovak,Belarussian,.… are slavs and they have some identical genes all long two milleniums. What mushrooms vegetate in Belarus now?
A nice day Vladimír
Old September 27, 2013   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir I am wishing life is better for you and your people now.
Sometimes I forget the past.
My family picked mushrooms but moving from the farm I forgot how to look and pick.
I would poison myself for sure.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013   #14
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The plums are most favorite fruit in on the east Moravia. They are doing from them favorite plum cookies (švestkové koláčky) and more favorite liquid plums (slivovice) with 55-60 % C2H5OH). I don´t cook usually at home. But I do some foods cook myself- for example plum cookies. I did them on last Tuesday. I have like them. Some pictures.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24092013545.jpg (356.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 24092013547.jpg (373.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 24092013549.jpg (313.2 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; October 3, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old October 3, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The plums are most favorite fruit in on the east Moravia. They are doing from them favorite plum cookies (švestkové koláčky) and more favorite liquid plums (slivovice) with 55-60 % C2H5OH). I don´t cook usually at home. But I do some foods cook myself- for example plum cookies. I did them on last Tuesday. I have like them. Some pictures.
Vladimír
The plums you show in the first picture are elongated ovals and look to me like what I know as Italian Prune PLums.

Is the flesh yellow and wonderfully sweet?

On the farm where I grew up there were two huge trees with those plums, planted who knows when by the Shakers when they owned the property and that takes us back to the mid-1800's.

I've been having a discussion with a local lady who says she won't eat ANY plum that has yellow flesh, only those that have red flesh. I told her that plums were domesticated in China, which they were, and then moved West and that the sugar level (Brix) content of yellow fleshed plums was higher than red fleshed plums.

Plum cookies? Never heard of using them for cookies, so why not cakes and more?

Just noting that my mother was a mushroom picker, learned from her relatives, and my brother and I used to go with her to find them. Not in the woods, but in abandoned pasture where cows used to roam.

I love mushrooms and in the Hudson Valley south of where we lived there were several commercial places where they grew the typical white button ones in caves and my father would bring home from market the oval boxes they were packed in.

And when I moved where I am today there was a wonderful place where they raised all kinds of mushrooms for sale, but the place burned down, so no more mushrooms from them.

The closest access I have to local mushrooms now is that they grow in the track of a sliding door, not on the track itself, but in between the screen and the glass door.

I don't harvest them, I just look at them.

Carolyn