Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2017   #16
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! double points for using stuff already on hand!
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I finally got the supports up in the main garden. This system is very adjustable to your needs - like when a plant wants to grow every way besides up. The T posts are 2' apart. I've tried them at 18" apart and for our plants - it wasn't far enough apart. We tried them at 30" apart - that didn't work well either. The wires are 12" apart. I'll let the pictures explain the rest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0007.JPG (94.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0009.JPG (93.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0012.JPG (90.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0013.JPG (87.3 KB, 77 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The string methods I am using this year - One is a pole bean support that we built last year. I'm using the string to hold up the tomato plants.

I have a volunteer that came up in our onion bed. I tied strings to it to get it to grow on the nearby fence. It is growing intertwined on the fence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0011.JPG (83.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0010.JPG (74.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0015.JPG (89.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0016.JPG (90.6 KB, 78 views)
Old May 10, 2017   #19
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
That is how I support my peppers only I use shorter stakes. It works really well.

One thing that I might mention is that I am going to use a different type of "string" this year. Usually I use that cheap jute garden twine and late in the summer when the peppers get heavy and the string has been subjected to lots of weather it starts to stretch and break apart so this year I am going to use paracord.

Paracord is a name given to parachute cord and I bought a big 500ft (I think) roll of it at Tractor Supply during the winter on sale for $3.50 but I think that it is usually $7 a roll. It will be a lot more durable that the jute and doesn't look like it will break so easily.

It was frustrating to string all of that jute and then have it break in the middle of a summer storm and also have a few of the pepper branches break off when they lost their support suddenly.
Great buy on the paracord!

I used a good length for a "clothes line" to hand frost blankets, screens, etc so they dry out. It's been up for 3 years without much wear and tear.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Dang, Robert. I wish my garden was looking that good. That looks superbly most excellent. I hope the harvest for you is as good as the effort you've put into the planting and support system.

Well done, Sir !!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Ted for the wonderful compliment. I hope your garden exceeds what you hope for.

The tomato plants put on a lot growth in May and June here. The first picture in this thread was taken 3 days ago. The two tomato plants on the left side have grown at least 3 inches taller and are now two inches below the top line that is five and a half foot tall. The tomatoes are Sweetie Cherry.

I started a thread the other day about Sweetie Cherry and how it looks like a multiflora even though it is not. I laughed about those plants seeing the new support system and the thread I started - they're living up to the attention
Old May 10, 2017   #22
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I like your red boxes.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I like your red boxes.
Thank you. I found out here at Tomatoville that they are called keyhole gardens. Worth told me about them. I did some research and built them to the size of the 2 x 12s I already had. We have another one that is exactly like the one pictured, but it is 34' long and has three keyholes. It is used mostly for fall gardening because it is surrounded by tall oak trees. They get a lot more sun in June through November.

Here is a link for keyhole gardening. I hope it inspires others to make them. They are easy on the back to take care of, and they look good too. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...=1494467053385
Old May 10, 2017   #24
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Thank you. I found out here at Tomatoville that they are called keyhole gardens. Worth told me about them. I did some research and built them to the size of the 2 x 12s I already had. We have another one that is exactly like the one pictured, but it is 34' long and has three keyholes. It is used mostly for fall gardening because it is surrounded by tall oak trees. They get a lot more sun in June through November.

Here is a link for keyhole gardening. I hope it inspires others to make them. They are easy on the back to take care of, and they look good too. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...=1494467053385
So do your keyholes have built-in compost bins? Do you have worms?
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #25
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our compost bin is 100 feet away, but the keyhole does have worms - red wigglers.
Old May 11, 2017   #26
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Robert, I do something similar to your double row of posts. I also settled on 2 ft spacing after trying several different distances. Instead of string I use 1/2 inch metal electric conduit with a vertical spacing of about 14 inches. With the conduit I can lay 30 inch +/- wood strips across to help support the plants. Also I lay longer strips across the top for some shade.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thought about the keyhole garden but will never build another bed without a bottom.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #28
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I'm using mostly cable ties (zip ties, elec. ties, whatever you call them) to secure plants to the cages. A little more expensive but so easy to use. I get frustrated trying to tie knots in cord when I can't even see the cord. I can use these almost blindfolded--and they come in pretty colors.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I went most of my adult life without ever realizing that cable ties can be removed and re-used. Just pry the tab back inside of the tie that catches to hold it shut, and it will slide right off. Small ties are cheap and easier to just cut off, but the big ones can get a little pricey.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017   #30
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I went most of my adult life without ever realizing that cable ties can be removed and re-used. Just pry the tab back inside of the tie that catches to hold it shut, and it will slide right off. Small ties are cheap and easier to just cut off, but the big ones can get a little pricey.
Thanks for tip Cole, I didn't know.. Would heavy mill plastic make barrier against RKN?.
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote