Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2015   #16
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Tom Skilling, our local weather savant, is saying this is Illinois' wettest June ever - since records began in the 1880's, and the fourth wettest month ever.

Humid air and drenched soil are going to rot roots and tubers, make tomato pollination difficult and encourage disease. Plastic mulch, a little fungicide and mechanical pollination, buzzing with an electric toothbrush on the rare dry days, helped me.

It's still just an average year in terms of production but the forecast looks better so I'm hopeful.
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #17
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Flooding last year where we lived in Iowa gave us mosquito swarms so thick we feared they would carry our yearling son away. It was a bad year for our tomatoes last year. The giant cottonwood didn't help matters either. Things are looking much better for us here in Zone 4a Central Minnesota, but still concerned that I will end up with healthy Brandywines with lots of green tomatoes come the autumn frost. I guess that is the risk in raising Brandywines, however. I did plant a fair number of earlier varieties.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
Flooding last year where we lived in Iowa gave us mosquito swarms so thick we feared they would carry our yearling son away. It was a bad year for our tomatoes last year. The giant cottonwood didn't help matters either. Things are looking much better for us here in Zone 4a Central Minnesota, but still concerned that I will end up with healthy Brandywines with lots of green tomatoes come the autumn frost. I guess that is the risk in raising Brandywines, however. I did plant a fair number of earlier varieties.
I find it odd that Brandywines are considered late. Down here they run from early as 65 days to as late as 70 but that is what we consider a mid DTM tomato down here. I guess the heat makes a big difference. I plant several varieties that are much later but hardly any run past 80 days unless we are talking about fall tomatoes which are just slow to ripen in the cool weather.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #19
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

BW is on late side here, one of the last to yield for me, although they do well overall.
We are down to 50 today again so here goes my blossom. Whatever I get on my plants within next 2 week is all I am going to have.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #20
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

I think you've mostly got this covered by other comments, but the fertilization program sounds fine. Probably the plants were stressed already by having wet feet all the time, and you have had several runs of very high humidity and maybe those plants were in a more humid situation, not to mention the foliar sprays may have added to that problem. Humidified pollen won't stick so the blossoms will drop and the ones that do set will have lower seed count.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #21
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Same issue in southern Ontario...plants were big, healthy, early, covered with flowers...least fertilization I have ever applied by this time of year, larger plants bought from garden centre flowered a week earlier than my own and they are covered, but mine have massive blossom drop. Ugh!!!
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have a different problem.
No or very fewfew BD. The flowers get pollinated ok and set fruits BUT they will stay dormant and wont grow. In some varieties I get one or two in a cluster to grow. Maybe another 2 will start growing weeks later and the rest will just sit there, WON'T DROP, WON'T GROW.

Anybody experiencing this problem ?
What do you think, is the cause of it ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #23
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Keeping my fingers crossed, it seems am seeing more greenies. I have resorted to top branch shaking and cage shaking but I think conditions are just more favorable now.
Unfortunately our summers are just too short so yield will be lacking.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #24
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
No or very fewfew BD. The flowers get pollinated ok and set fruits BUT they will stay dormant and wont grow. In some varieties I get one or two in a cluster to grow. Maybe another 2 will start growing weeks later and the rest will just sit there, WON'T DROP, WON'T GROW.

Gardeneer
I have this happen a lot. I always thought it was related to heat/humidity. I couldn't find the thread, but I think Ginny said that the tomato wasn't completely pollinated.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #25
bower
Tomatovillian™

Afaict it is genetic, how much cold or wet or...(fill in the stress) a variety will take before they drop the blossom or leave an "empty nest", like Gardeneer was saying. Not sure if it's the daytime high or the night time low, but looking at daytimes, I noticed that some varieties won't grow their fruit if the high isn't above 70 F.

Some varieties will always ( or nearly always) drop some of their blossoms, in any conditions. Some varieties will always or nearly set a fruit for every blossom. Except when it's too hot, every plant will drop blossoms over a certain temperature it's game over.

All the early-midseason varieties are very slow setting for me this year, and a couple of them are shedding more blossoms than they set. If it doesn't warm up, I won't be getting many of those...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #26
Dane S
Tomatovillian™

I was having the same issue with a few varieties. But one, primary colors angora, a fuzzy type just wouldn't set fruit at all. Tried to use a toothbrush wouldn't take. Emasculated a few and hand pollinated with donor pollen and there was no problem. I noticed that with this plant everything is fuzzy even the anthers. Im thinking wuts happening is that these fuzzy hairs hold moisture inside the anther cone and it "rots" from the inside and the pollen dies off. So I'm betting these angora types might be better off in drier climates.
Dane S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #27
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My problem IS NOT blossom drop. The tiny nubs hang in there like for ever.
In some varieties some of those nubs start growing later, slowly, In most they won't.

The temps is not a problem either. Our highs have been 80F and higher from early June.
Plants are well fed and watered and look very robust. I have a CP that does not have this problem , keeps pumping next toa Brandy Boy which has this problem.

We don't get many bee visitors but I do tap and shake just as an extra effort.

I tend to think that pollination is not taking full effect, for whatever the reason might be. Maybe poor pollens or bad ovaries, as if the flowers are semi sterile .

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane S View Post
I was having the same issue with a few varieties. But one, primary colors angora, a fuzzy type just wouldn't set fruit at all. Tried to use a toothbrush wouldn't take. Emasculated a few and hand pollinated with donor pollen and there was no problem. I noticed that with this plant everything is fuzzy even the anthers. Im thinking wuts happening is that these fuzzy hairs hold moisture inside the anther cone and it "rots" from the inside and the pollen dies off. So I'm betting these angora types might be better off in drier climates.
Awesome pix! This is good to know about the angora, I might have thought they'd like a cool damp climate since they're wearing the mittens.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #29
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Gardeneer
I also have this problem in containers. Seems to me to be just a lack of energy or too many fruit set on lower branches. After those are picked many of them return and grow (but not as big as early ones).

Also, on topic, Tomatoberry seems to set fruit very well in heat. I has been serious heat here for 1 week, with a high of 104F, and on the balcony in town it has been much much worse (also the nights were really bad). Had many flowers pollinating just fine (in fact, it never skipped any flowers, this tomato has great truss vigour).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #30
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It seems some varieties are more susceptible to this problem than others. I am quite disappointed with Bi-Color cherry: it is the only one of 17 varieties that is dropping its blossoms this year... and those fruits that actually develop, are so pitifully small that they are not worth the effort.
The plant itself is lush, green and very healthy looking. Just a handful of tiny tiny cherry toms out of a large plant is not what I am looking for....
Pink Tiger in the same soil next to it is doing fine and pushing fruits like an assembly line.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; July 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote