Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2015   #16
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

anyone have experience with Porter?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #17
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Juliet hands down. Productive under all sorts of conditions.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #18
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

This question is really easy for me to answer. This year I have 17 plants (14 varieties)....and Big Beef F1 is by far the most awesome producer of "very good" fruit. It is a tomato machine...just like many others have reported.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Juliet : Is it grape ? But mine were little bit smaller than Roma.
Anyway. I grew it, I think, 5 years ago. I could not keep up with it.
No other tomatoes (even cherries) have been that prolific in my garden.

Gardeneer
I have three Juliet F2 plants growing in cells now. They are almost ready to put in solo cups.

The reason why I am curious enough to grow the F2s is because of the F1 production. We pic tomatoes from our two plants almost every day. Tastes are an individual thing. I personally find them to taste somewhat better than a supermarket tomato.

Seeing the future F generations should prove to be interesting.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
Porter was developed in Stephenville, Texas back in the 1920s just for you to grow in Frisco, Texas.

It actually does better in drought conditions - don't over-water. OzoneNY, If you would like some Porter seeds, PM me. They prolifically produce here until the first heavy frost/freeze. Taste = My wife says, "Now, that's a real tomato." I transplanted three of them into a raised bed yesterday.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old June 25, 2015   #21
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Porter was developed in Stephenville, Texas back in the 1920s just for you to grow in Frisco, Texas.

It actually does better in drought conditions - don't over-water. OzoneNY, If you would like some Porter seeds, PM me. They prolifically produce here until the first heavy frost/freeze. Taste = My wife says, "Now, that's a real tomato." I transplanted three of them into a raised bed yesterday.
Thanks for the seed offer, I already porter seeds Charles Herring strain. I will definitely have a few of those for next spring though I dont think its worth starting from seen at this late in the season. I have done fairly well so I may just start to wrap it up in the next few weeks and begin again on New Years day 2016 with sowing new seeds.
Old June 25, 2015   #22
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Boring I know, but Celebrity produced so many tomatoes that we got sick of them.
AlittleSalt, I'll have to second that. Celebrity is by far my best producer with nice blemish free fruit.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #23
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

Default Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
Yes but I would not class it with the production mentioned in this thread unless you have a field of them growing in a drought.

I have 3 or 4 of them this year and plan to try them oven dried. Hate turning on the oven during the summer though.

They may be small but they are not cherry tomatoes.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #24
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

"NARNIA", Azoychka? are you serious? I grew them a couple of times and the last time I got 3... count them THREE tomatoes on the plant. wow, I am impressed and am glad for you too.

I put in big beef and goliath last year. I put in about 150 of them. for one (and my largest) picking I picked 14 bushels.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 26, 2015 at 07:14 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #25
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka is no slouch. It has been very dependable producer in tough conditions. Quite immune to BER, grows even in much smaller pots than reasonable, stands the heat, doesn't drop flowers, it is the first beefsteak to ripe.
It is not however resistant to diseases, like most russian tomatoes (their short but hot and dry summers means they selected fast maturing tomatoes but disease pressure must be quiet low over there). I think it would be a very good tomato for the south, unlike it's description usually suggests.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHondaNut View Post
Yes but I would not class it with the production mentioned in this thread unless you have a field of them growing in a drought.

I have 3 or 4 of them this year and plan to try them oven dried. Hate turning on the oven during the summer though.

I have read that some people call Porter a cherry tomato and some don't. I learned that Porter will grow through Summer and continue to produce up until the first heavy frost/freeze. In late November last year, I pulled over 150 tomatoes off of one Porter plant the day before 23F cold.

Years ago, our son bought my wife an electric Pizza oven. We use it outside on a table as our oven in the Summer. I figure, Why make it hot inside when we're already running the AC to cool it down. Works well for us.

I should add that Porter is a long keeping tomato after pulling it off the vine. The ones I pulled in late November lasted until mid January sitting on our kitchen bar beside this computer.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 26, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 26, 2015   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I 'm surprised to hear someone's bad raport on Azoychka, it has indeed been a very dependable and early producer in our less-than-ideal climate. Definitely worth recommending to challenging conditions. Sorry that someone had a bad experience with it, we absolutely loved it and my mom expects me to grow a seedling for every year.
Lovely color, fresh taste with some twang!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #28
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHondaNut View Post

I am going to try the Porter and Juliet next year. I am curious to see how well they produce for me compared to my current best producer the San Marzano. I also want to see how good a sauce I can make with Porter and Juliet. I realize it will not be the same as a San Marzano sauce, but that does not mean it wont be good. I gotta try at least.
I made sauce from sweet 100's once about 5 or 6 years ago. It was not a pasta sauce my mother would be proud of, but it made a pizza sauce that to this day my nephew talks about.
Old June 26, 2015   #29
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Sioux and Rutgers are about tied
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #30
whistech
Tomatovillian™

AlittleSalt, did you plant any improved Porter tomatoes this year? If so, please tell me how much bigger they are than the regular Porter tomatoes.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote