Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2015   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Black cherrys are quite thick skinned, and that's not stopping them. I find that thick walled ones are more resistant, but even then it's not guaranteed.
heirloomtomaguy, those pics look like Galina. How do they compare to them in taste, if you've grown them (one of my favourite cherries).
Galina is one that i have not yet grown.....not enough stripes i guess I will have to put it on my grow list for next spring.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #17
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I just helped a fellow Tomatovillian in the States purchase "Annelise" seeds in 2 packets of 5 from Lindbloms in Sweden. Assuming Annelise must be really good, since this Tomatovillian went to so much trouble, I bought a packet and shared 1/3 of the costs. Including shipping and a fee for a customs declaration (which was unnecessary for sending them to me in Norway), they came to $2 a seed. Expensive enough?
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #18
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I just helped a fellow Tomatovillian in the States purchase "Annelise" seeds in 2 packets of 5 from Lindbloms in Sweden. Assuming Annelise must be really good, since this Tomatovillian went to so much trouble, I bought a packet and shared 1/3 of the costs. Including shipping and a fee for a customs declaration (which was unnecessary for sending them to me in Norway), they came to $2 a seed. Expensive enough?
I would say pretty expensive. For me everything is relative. If you pay 2 dollars for 100 dollars worth of tomatoes its worth it. I know there is labor and water and soil i get that but if you love what you are doing and reap the benefits of your labor 2 dollars a seed is worth it. I hope they are a special tomato that tastes great for you and if they are let me know because i might need a friend to help me get some seed.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #19
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Here's how I see it: We're all gonna croak-might as well have some fun now !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

How about looking at the MOST expensive seeds I ever knew about, not for an F1 hybrid but for a typical OP variety.

Many of you new folks probably don't know about this but Darrel ( Fusion) and Mischka and many of the Tvillians here at the time certainly do remember as I do as one of many who were recipients of Mischka's free seeds he sent out in what I would call beautiful custom packs.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...na+peace+seeds

And then there were many what I call priceless seeds that I was given, just one being:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/N...b=General_Info

It's all relative, isn't it.

Carolyn
Old July 23, 2015   #21
clara
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago, here in Europe, there was a big hype about MagiQo*. I think it was in 2007 when 2 tomatoes (!) were sold for incredible 26 Euros. The next year ONE single seed was offered for 5 Euros - I said "no" to myself. And another year later, I got 5 seeds for 1 Euro... It's a good tomato for sure, but never worth the original price - and nobody has to pay it anymore, lol!

* It is really written this strange way, no typo!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #22
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Lol I had no idea tomatoes seeds were trendy or expensive. I must be too basic and need to expand my horizons. Thanks for a great thread heirloom. =)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #23
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

There are expensive seeds in bulk and expensive in retail. Some retailers like to take advantage of new stuff that isn't available to poor home gardeners and ask some ridiculous prices sometimes, even though their bulk prices might not be all that much.
For example Big Beef, popular in USA, is rare for some reason in UK, and costs 33 eurocents per seed and in Romania in bulk (500) it costs 7 cents.
Also there is a german site that sells for around 1-2 euro the seed for commercial tomatoes that aren't available to home growers.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #24
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to England and France in September. What are the rules these days for traveling with seeds? There is potential for seed swaps in both directions.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote