Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 3, 2011   #16
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

It is my understanding that Stink Bugs have NO natural enemies here in the US. None. Even birds won't eat them...
Old March 3, 2011   #17
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

So far as I know I have never had a stink bug problem. I do currently have an invasion of tiny worms floating in the air and pupating in rose, cuke, peach, strawberry, and loquat leaves. I have no idea what they are because this is the first time I have had this problem. To kill them I would have to spray every plant in my yard and myself because I also found 4 of them on my shirt.
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #18
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have grown kellogs breakfast once. I am going to grow it again this year. At first it had BER. Then it got bad sun scald. But what I did get were worth the trouble. The plants themself stood up well to our hot and humid summer
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #19
organichris
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first year growing it thank's to Remy's hospitality. So far the Kellogg's Breakfast seedlings are among the most vigorous, being a close second to Box Car Willie. We have hot and humid summers here as well, but I'll have late afternoon shade. Hopefully that will help.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #20
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Bigdaddy! do they stick to your tomatoes there? It sounds like you have them even worse than us down in the swamplands!! hahaha
I have two types and they smell alike. One is green and shapes like a stealth bomber in a way and the other is brown with very long legs and a long body, very ugly indeed!!
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #21
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I think they're leaving their indoor overwintering spots and getting ready to increase the population again. Cleaned the attic out this week and they were stuck inside of every little nook and cranny they could find. I'm sure I killed hundreds. Each day that the temps reach the upper 40's, they've been waking up and making their way downstairs...ugh!
I had the pleasure of finding one in my bed the other night !
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #22
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

We have them in the thousands and they are the brownish ones....
Old March 26, 2011   #23
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Oh Bigdaddy! you got it worse!!!!!!!!!, they are faster than the green ones and they do not stay when you want to kill them. The green ones smell slightly worse but they are easy to kill for the most part and seem pretty stupid in comparison!! lol. Unfortunately the damage can be already done. Do they eat up your crops by sucking on the tomato to where it looks like it is still good but under closer observation it is a little discolored? I never had this problem until a few years ago or maybe longer, time moves so fast! in the 90's and early 2000's they were not around, that is for sure, at least here!
Old March 26, 2011   #24
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Newatthiskat! same for me with KB, it holds up well and the plant has two fruit still green and it was planted in late Oct. and we are in 88-90 degree weather right now and humid. Of course it is done but did well and was kept in portable greenhouse though cold months of winter which was about 4 months.
Old March 26, 2011   #25
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
Oh Bigdaddy! you got it worse!!!!!!!!!, they are faster than the green ones and they do not stay when you want to kill them. The green ones smell slightly worse but they are easy to kill for the most part and seem pretty stupid in comparison!! lol. Unfortunately the damage can be already done. Do they eat up your crops by sucking on the tomato to where it looks like it is still good but under closer observation it is a little discolored? I never had this problem until a few years ago or maybe longer, time moves so fast! in the 90's and early 2000's they were not around, that is for sure, at least here!
Here's a picture of it and its native cousins from a link from BigDaddyJ's link. I had some of these here last year briefly. I remember the green ones from when I was younger.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/similar.asp

And I found this article implicating inecticides containing BT interesting too.

http://southeastfarmpress.com/manage...nk-bug-control
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #26
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

beefy...yeah I have the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug as pictured in the first link by ireilly. And here at U of D they are about 3 years away from being able to release a specific parasite that kills only the bad stinkbug. My God 3 of them flew on my deck table while I was sitting there on a fluke warm day in February after a very cold winter! I have killed thousands. They swarm in fall and land on the one side of my stucco house. I then blast them with the hose, they fall to the ground and we all do the Stinkbug Stomp! Literally hundreds are killed per hose blast...and yet they keep coming and coming. Arrived in the US in the mid 90's and here in DelaWHERE about 5 years ago and each year is worse...
Old March 28, 2011   #27
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Bigdaddy! I laughed when they were talking about them hitting Florida now. I was gone from 05-07 and living in the mountains of Georgia and could not remember when they came in here. Many people are just realizing they are here now in this area. Hope they get them controlled fast for all our sakes but especially yours up there.
Old December 4, 2015   #28
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by araskathryn View Post
Are Kellog's Beefsteak and Kellog's Breakfast the same? Is KBX an abbreviation for Kellog's Breakfast?
Thanks for any info!
I also had a package of seeds labeled Kellogg's Beefsteak (and by all appearances, it seemed to be Kellogg's Breakfast. I think it came from American Seed (either that or Lilly Miller, Ferry Morse or such), probably from a dollar store. Here's a link to where someone calls it Kellogg's Breakfast in the title, but Kellogg's Beefsteak in the description (and URL):

http://www.ufseeds.com/Kelloggs-Beefsteak-Tomatoes.item

Here's somewhere selling it as Kellogg's Beefsteak:

http://www.sweetcornorganicnursery.c...mato-Seed.html

Anyway, if I were to guess, I would guess that Kellogg's Beefsteak is just a slip up, since Beefsteak is so similar to Breakfast if you're not looking carefully and thinking about tomatoes (as with tomatoes, beefsteak is a common word).

Anyway, my seeds were probably some years old, but I planted some this year and transplanted one out in harsh conditions, and got a couple small orange tomatoes (neither of which ripened outside, although I saved seeds, anyway—today—because even with unripe tomatoes, usually at least some of them will grow). In other soil, I imagine they would have been bigger, and the plants probably would have been more productive (though I'm not sure how much more). We had a very, very hot and dry year (with the exceptionally hot temperatures starting in June, this time, instead of July). The soil drained and dried quickly (which isn't so desirable in the stated weather; plants in more clay-like soil prospered by comparison), and was probably very low in nitrogen and other nutrients.

Last edited by shule1; December 4, 2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old December 4, 2015   #29
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I grew KB this past season. What I got was a huuge plant with no more than 4 or 5 tomatoes , each about 6 oz. It did flower a lot but did not set fruits. Our weather was not that hot , so I cannot blame the weather. So I don't have the time and space to grow it again. ZAP ! My other yellow , AZOYCHKA, did great. YMMV

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #30
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Thrice I've tried KB, it does not like my garden, so we have agreed on an amicable split. There are other yellows/orange in the sea.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote