Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 29, 2014   #16
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Maybe we should start a letters to the Editor campaign. We all understand how damaging these sprays can be and how far the drift can travel, but it is not generally known outside of gardening geeks like us.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014   #17
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I have used 2,4 D around my place and none of my plants ever had problems. Paranoia runs deep around here!
You may be very lucky and/or careful.

I used to grow grapes and also took some tours of wineries here in PA. I heard stories of vineyards lost due to spray drift (At the time 2,4 D was very popular for corn).

I also had a very learned vineyardest showed damage and described how even though the farmer on the other side of his narrow valley had sprayed correctly without normal drift, that under the right atmospheric conditions (probably not occuring in CA ) 2,4 D can be taken back into the air (I believe [this was a long time ago] under fog-like conditions) and then 'drift' to another location.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

To think, back in the early 90s when I lived west of Tulsa all the fields in my area were sprayed with 2,4,D or Graze-on from crop duster planes. Ugh!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014   #19
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I did get lucky today. A friend of mine called and said he had three volunteers brandywines come up in his garden.I'll go by and get them tomarrow and replace a few of the worst plants.I'll be a month late but maybe I';ll get a fall crop off these plants. Hopefully the rest will recovery and give me some kind of crop
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2014   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have a ton of volunteers now and they are catching up/surpassing the planted ones!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014   #21
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

by volunteers do you mean surprise plants? i had one of those come up in one of my corn/squash mounds and it looks great, probably the nicest looking youngling i've got going so far
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014   #22
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

The brandywines shouldn't be a suprise.It was the only potato leaf he planted last yr.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote