Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 31, 2009   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I would just save my money and get a digital SLR if you have lenses for your old 35 mm then this would be the way to go.
It has been said that the best camera you can buy is the one you will have with you when you need it. Will you always be willing to go into the house, fetch the digital SLR and bring it outside?

I have a Casio Exilim 5MP pocket camera and a Canon Digital SLR (Rebel XT so just an entry level model). I use the Exilim for quick shots and I am most likely to have it with me. The Canon, it's always in the office, so I have to go retrieve it. If I only had the Canon, there are many things I would not have photographed because either I didn't have it with me, or I did not want the excess bulk.

Also, digital SLRs still run about $400 and are generally more complex to use than a point-and-shoot.

Also, I would add that many folks push their camera to the limit of its focus ability trying to get a macro shot. By putting the camera right on top of the subject in a low light situation, you are going to need a $2,000 camera to take that shot. Instead, pull the camera back, zoom it almost all the way out, so it's just barely zoomed in (to prevent barrel distortion), and then put the camera about 1 foot from the subject. If necessary, hold your hand, or a white piece of paper with some text on it at roughly the same distance from the camera, get the camera focus locked on your hand or the paper, and then without losing the lock, pointthe camera at your tomatoes or whatever you need a macro shot of and squeeze the trigger.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2009   #17
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

F.Y.I. This guy is a wealth of information for just about everything photographic. See what he has to say in this " Recommended Cameras" article (be sure to scroll down since the lower priced cameras are listed about 1/4 to 13rd of the way down) : http://kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

I also enjoyed looking at his "How to make great photos" page: http://kenrockwell.com/tech.htm One of these days I might even remember to put his suggestions into practice. :S

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; August 1, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009   #18
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
dcarch would you take a picture of the magnifying glass used and a quarter next to the magnifying glass. Just trying to figure out what to get to try that close up shoot. Thanks, George
Any magnifying glass will give your camera increased macro capability. The higher magnification (shorter focal length) the better.

It is not that expensive to buy screw-on macro lens adapters for your camera, just make sure they are the correct diameter (screw-mount) for your lens.

I used an old 35mm lens from my old SLR to put infront of my digital camera and duct taped it on because it was heavy.

Remember, a tripod and self-timer setting is required. Any shaking will kill the details.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2009   #19
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

I would check out ebay.

A lot of people sell their old digital cameras for next to nothing when they upgrade to a newer, flashier model.

Just make sure the sellers have good reviews. . . and get shipping insurance.
Old August 1, 2009   #20
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Check out this post:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...791#post139791

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote