Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2006   #16
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Hello :wink:
Earl your maters you gave me are doing fine ,still hardenen them off ,with our cold spell they stayed in a windowsills east and west in the afternoon, today they are out side soaking up some much needed sun. The yelllow brandywine is gowing fast and Aunt Gerties is comming along, Could you tell me something about Lester? i believe it is one of yours too, ? Next yr i will write down who gave me what LOL,
I have finished my beds and am pilling much finished composted soil ph is at 6.8 . I hope to get some maters in this week and God willing , i will be blessed with maters from heaven and all sorts of good stuff
thanks
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #17
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

YB has been high yielding in my garden and usually mid-season. It is one of my *must grows* every year.
Old May 22, 2006   #18
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

For me, YB is later than most other varieties I've grown but produces pretty well. It's a very tall, full plant.
Old May 22, 2006   #19
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcm05
Wow Suze! That picture is DELICIOUS! Yummy!

Blacks/Purples I'm trying this year are CP, Carbon and Black from Tula. Couldn't get Noire de Crimee to germinate so I'll have to try that one next year.
I want to try Carbon and BFT next year. I did grow NDC this year, and my germination rates were horrible! And the ones that did germinate took weeks to develop a decent root system. I've never seen any plants as weak as these. I got about 5 plants from around 30 seeds from Carolyn (both 12yo and 3yo seed). Three I gave away for an auction, and I kept two. They're about 10 weeks old now and finally just getting large enough to plant out.

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #20
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I guess the AGG vs. YB contest will go on as planned. One lucky friend will be getting a beautiful AGG plant. I'm debating whether to say it's a yellow/gold tomato or just let it be a surprise. And a pleasent one I'm sure. ;-)

Carolyn, that woven backpack sounds nice - and expensive. Of course, money's no object at the Barkeaters Ball, I'm sure! LOL
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #21
Earl
Tomatovillian™

YB is much different flavor than AGG, both very good. And yes, YB is pretty late so if you have a short season go with the two AGG. In short growing season areas, YB should be started early and planted out as a very large plant. My experience anyway.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #22
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater...Why not grow all three plants?
I've heard so many good things about both that I'd like to try both next year...the yellow BW sounds terrific. I'm convinced I have to try it next year.
Old May 22, 2006   #23
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I'll bet you're confusing AGG with Yellow Brandywine, which is late and stingy with fruit production, but worth growing for the flavor.
Hi, Earl -- I remember your comments over at GW re how many you harvested; I was going by what some southern and warm zone folks said. But obviously my experience is different. Even more have set since my comment.

YB has been stingy for me in the past, and I like it very much. Hopefully I'll get at least a few fruits out of the one plant I set this year. Not much on that one yet.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #24
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka made a nice afternoon snack today -- tart with good texture.

Lunch yesterday--

Old May 22, 2006   #25
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Great pic, Suze - now that's what I call a perfect example of Azoychka! Isn't it surprising to have such a tart flavor in a bright yellow variety. It is one of my favorite early tomatoes.
Old May 22, 2006   #26
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Craig, we really like the taste. Plant is also threatening to take over a corner of my south facing patio and doesn't seem to mind a 10 gal container at all. It's loaded with fruits.
Old May 23, 2006   #27
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Those pictures just about made me pass out! I've had one Kimberly this year, and had to share it at that. :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006   #28
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I will have to quit reading this forum until my tomatoes are closer....Those are incredible photos.
Your post has made it easier to plant the Azoychka seedling I have...It was in a tray of extras, and I have a container death so I will go out and put the spare Azoychka in.
I think Elbe, Gold Dust and Yellow Perfection are my only other yellows this year, but I am long on Orange varieties.
Next year YB Platfoot strain may get a try.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006   #29
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default good to know

ok so YB is big plant? i might put it in the front of the house to get all day sun. Good to know all the info , helps me thinks of ways to eat them . LOL. I guess i won't put it next to my mortagage lifters huh LOL . i hope my mater ladders hold up to what they are made off>
thanks agian
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #30
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have one AGG that doesn't have TSWV and is very healthy at the moment. My first fruit is turning so I'll see how I think it compares to YB. Both plants, AGG and YB, are very tall. AGG is going to be earlier for me than YB by about a month! The fruit on AGG is not quite as flat or as pretty as YB but that doesn't bother me. It's also a bit smaller but I'm really looking forward to this one!