Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 25, 2014   #16
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

AKMark...200-300 bales!!! Oh my goodness...lol...you must have a greenhouse or some type of gardening business...wow...

I send all the wonderful people that took time off their busy schedules to advise me with tips...I am so grateful and I send you all blessings and a warm hug...

Jenny
jenarzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #17
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have a few large greenhouses, so we try to be as efficient and as fast as possible, when doing any given task. We are always trying to improve productivity, and the bat trick really loosens up the bales of PM, so the girls can scoop it for their flowers.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #18
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I am not familiar with the product you guys are talking about. However, it sure reminds me of my 3 cu ft of compressed peat moss bales. Do I need to soak these also? Trying to cut up, beat up, or pull apart is just so difficult!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #19
jjones
Tomatovillian™

I know it's too late to be of much help this season, but "gardendoc" who posts on another forum uses a Black and Decker # GC818 18v Cordless Garden Cultivator to break up compacted bales of potting mix and to plant / replant his Earthboxes. The tines are about 3-1/2" long, and he just mixes the medium with dolomite right inside the Earthbox. Reconditioned units (with warranty) often are on sale through Amazon or CPO Outlet, with a battery or without a battery if you already have other B & D 18v garden tools.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I go through 200-300 bales, and have found it best to hit them a couple of times with a bat. Place the beaten bale, on its side, on a table, on a large 4'x4' piece of cardboard, or plywood. Cut off the top and side facing the center of plywood and scoop it into containers. We do this for my 86 year old grandma when she comes over and wants to plant, and it works well.
I meant to say, I used your advice, and it worked really well for me. I beat the bales with a scrap of 2x3 lumber.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #21
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hey Cole, it's good therapy too, if your having a bad day. lol
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2014   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Indeed. I feel like a mafia bruiser - the pro mix borrowed money and didn't pay it back
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pro mix bx compressed bales