Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 1, 2014   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Since I like cooked peppers way more than I like cooked tomatoes I can think of many things to do with them.

Fire roast some and layer them in wirh lasagna and use a mix of sweet Italian sausage and ground lamb for the meat.

of course still use your favorite tomato sauce.with a dash of dried tomatoes in it.

Worth

Or, brown the meat along with some diced onions and garlic, allow to cool slightly and mix in an egg or two and some breadcrumbs. Stuff this into the peppers and fry them until lightly brown on all sides, then serve with tomato sauce spooned over them.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2014   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Or, brown the meat along with some diced onions and garlic, allow to cool slightly and mix in an egg or two and some breadcrumbs. Stuff this into the peppers and fry them until lightly brown on all sides, then serve with tomato sauce spooned over them.
That would be peminto relenos marconi.
I would put sweet Hungarian paprika in with the tomato sauce.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of the plant that grows a pepper similar to a Marconi. I just call it a Cindy after the lady that gave me the seed to grow out since she didn't know what it is either. While some of my bells are over 6 ft tall this plant set out at the same time is almost 4 ft high and they have been super productive with fruits about 7 inches long.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pepper similar to Marconi but smaller 8-10.jpg (244.0 KB, 92 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

These are pictures of Palanacko Cudo peppers, which I prefer to Giant Marconi because, for me, they're easier to deseed, thicker-walled and sweeter for eating fresh. Sometimes I dry them and sometimes I cook with them and I appreciate how quickly I can process them because the walls are so smooth and straight. The first photo shows how few seeds and ribs there are. These are about 7" long but they can get quite a bit bigger.

The PC plants are shown in the center of the second photo and are mostly about 4' tall and very productive. On the right is Hungarian Yellow wax, which is a bit taller, and to the left is the taller Kevin's Early Orange (which isn't earlier than PC and has no visible fruits in the pic).

I've got plenty of seeds if anyone is interested in trying them.

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palanacko Cudo.jpg (345.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Peppers.jpg (214.9 KB, 87 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Kath I like it too; but it doesn't do as well as Slonovo which is larger and has much thicker walls but similar in flavor and shape. I think it is just too hot and humid for Palanacko Cudo here. Yours look great and so healthy. My plants barely got three feet tall and never produced more than a half dozen or so peppers each which just isn't enough to justify growing them.

Bill
Old August 14, 2014   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Kath I like it too; but it doesn't do as well as Slonovo which is larger and has much thicker walls but similar in flavor and shape. I think it is just too hot and humid for Palanacko Cudo here. Yours look great and so healthy. My plants barely got three feet tall and never produced more than a half dozen or so peppers each which just isn't enough to justify growing them.

Bill
That's important for others to know, Bill, especially those who live in climates similar to yours. I grew Slonovo Uvo side-by-side with Palanacko Cudo for the past few years but always found that PC was sweeter, which is important to me because I eat most of them raw and plain. The PC plants seem to be a bit fussier to start out and don't get quite as lush but I've always had great, production from them and they haven't succumbed to any disease yet- they keep producing until a hard frost so they turned out to be the keeper here.

I keep trying new ones- this year it's Super Shepherd. The first fruit rotted before turning red and the second isn't close to ripe yet. The 5 PC plants have already given me 15 ripe peppers and since I'm the only one who eats them here next year I'll probably cut back the number of plants I grow.

Btw, your 'Cindy' plant is beautiful! How does the taste compare with PC and SU?

kath

Last edited by kath; August 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old August 15, 2014   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I like the Cindy pepper for grilling and using in salsa etc. but like a Marconi it isn't as thick walled and sweet as either PC or SU. I have two SU plants and they have given me around 20 peppers each so far. I had exactly the opposite results with PC and SU so it must be the climate. I would get one or two thick walled fruit that were a bit larger than the rest off my PC plants then they would barely produce anything and what they did produce were small and thin walled whereas the SU continues to produce good sized thick walled peppers for quite a while. There is another possibility for the poor performance of PC besides climate and that might be all the fusarium in my soil. Maybe PC is more susceptible to one of the strains of fusarium and the SU isn't affected as much or at all.

Bill
Old August 15, 2014   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I like the Cindy pepper for grilling and using in salsa etc. but like a Marconi it isn't as thick walled and sweet as either PC or SU. I have two SU plants and they have given me around 20 peppers each so far. I had exactly the opposite results with PC and SU so it must be the climate. I would get one or two thick walled fruit that were a bit larger than the rest off my PC plants then they would barely produce anything and what they did produce were small and thin walled whereas the SU continues to produce good sized thick walled peppers for quite a while. There is another possibility for the poor performance of PC besides climate and that might be all the fusarium in my soil. Maybe PC is more susceptible to one of the strains of fusarium and the SU isn't affected as much or at all.

Bill
The difference in our results is puzzling. The PC and SU fruits I had really didn't have any noticeable difference in thickness of the walls and the PC fruits have always been similar in size throughout the season, year after year.

kath