Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2006   #16
angelstiger
Tomatovillian™

I really need to stay off the trade pages. I just traded for 4 more varieties. There is no end in sight. I am hoplessly hooked. I do quite love this addiction.
Old February 19, 2006   #17
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

You're right Greg. Many women would love to have their husbands trade their vices for the tomato patch. It's a good, clean game. I really can't think of anything that is better for the body and more soothing to the mind than gardening, especially tomatoes.

What's the old Asian proverb? If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk. If you want to be happy for three days, roast a pig. If you want to be happy for a month, get married. If you want to be happy for life, be a gardener.

Did I get that right? Maybe some of you have a better version of that, but it pretty well sums it up.

Don
Old February 24, 2006   #18
fnsdo
Tomatovillian™

Default Obsession

Heirlooms were a moderate garden interest until MDVPC sent me a copy of Carolyn's book, and then provided his inimitable counsel to improve my efforts.
The entire space aroud our pool is now filled with 15 gal grow bags (and two drip systems), and I have gone from transplants to germination and this is the seed saving year.
Driving to Decorah Iowa this summer.
Will probaly set up a web cam to watch my plants while traveling.
Have been checking off varieties in Carolyn's most scholarlyand wonderful resource book, and wonder how to stop adding more tomatoes and other veggies to the yard. Definitelly feel like I have to "grow them all".
My youngest (21) and his significant other have begun to share the obsession. She is from Russia, and really enjoyed Anna R when they visited.
I think that what the Irish say about fishing is also true of raising heirloom tomatoes: The time spent doing it is not deducted from your life.BTW: Have you noticed how the addition of the quality tomato element into your diet has resulted in a greater appreciation of FLAVOR in other vegetables and foods?
Life is good, isn't it?
fnsdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2006   #19
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Great saying. A friend of mine, a deacon in the church, went to Branson, MO, where all rednecks go in the summer, and brought me back the simplest thing, but it meant so much to me. It was a little sign that said, "Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's life." Applies to gardening, too. Remember...the first place God put man was... in a garden. Just be careful of the wrong apples.

I have that thing over my door now, at the Cabin, and think of it so often. I put it there so I would see it often, and remember it well.

Don
Old February 26, 2006   #20
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Don
What a great post. I love the look on peoples faces when I give them a bag of tomatoes or eggs. Simple but from the heart cause I only give them to people who I love and respect. Its also called being a year away from retirement and gearing myself up as to what I'm gonna do when that happens. my wife owns a restaurant so she is always gone and I'm here by myself. It doesnt get much cheaper to surf Tomatoville and take care of tomato, pepper and onion plants and chickens.
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote