Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2016   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

For tomatoes i can pinch, snip or snap with fingers. I'm not an aggressive pruner. Just what seems troubling or potential to be in the way and anything dropping to hit the soil. If the slightest resistance i have a Sheffield on me all the time anyway...

Handy in the garden are kitchen sheers, a few pairs. Good for salad harvest. Felco's, a Gomboy and other handy snipers for various branch cutting.

I do keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the garden shed just in case. I did use it to prune a branch on a small fruit tree last weekend because it is such a wee thing. And do sterilize when i prune my japanese maples but not every cut.

I use the Sheffield all day long. It is inside my jean pocket but clipped to the pocket edge so easy out. The best tool is the one one you. It holds extra blades in the handle so i always have something sharp and don't bother sterilizing...even goes in the dishwasher.

I find myself early sunrise with a cup of coffee and take the pups out for a walk to the garden for a quick look-see to plan my day and end up fussing for a while. And another while without what i need. Kitchen scissors are cheap so i have them hanging right over my salad beds...

The Sheffield always in my pocket...the one with blue. folds. the smaller gerber is nice but the Sheffield (15 bucks?)has a good hand feel....probably ten yrs old...my felco....20yrs old...get the best tools you can afford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (291.4 KB, 34 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #17
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

I use my thumbnail more often than I probably should, but I have thick nails so it works well. Otherwise I use just regular hand pruners, which are also good at dispatching hornworms! For harvesting herbs I use kitchen shears.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #18
FruitGuyMiller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
I use my thumbnail more often than I probably should, but I have thick nails so it works well. Otherwise I use just regular hand pruners, which are also good at dispatching hornworms! For harvesting herbs I use kitchen shears.
Maybe I should grow out some nice, womanly nails?
FruitGuyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #19
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitGuyMiller View Post
Maybe I should grow out some nice, womanly nails?
Go for it! I'm not here to judge!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knife , pruning , shears