Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2017   #16
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Here's another rowdy vote for Brandy OTV! Gotta luv this mater!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #17
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marsha, Bloody Butcher is an early red, PL. It has quite a good taste, not a brandywine taste, but a good taste for an early tomato. It's not a large tomato. Just a thought.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #18
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple I've noted, but haven't grown yet. Tatiana has seeds.

Korshun Ogromnyi Tatiana: “Indet. plants with potato leaf foliage. Large red beefsteaks. 6-12 oz. Very juicy and meaty. Delicious rich flavor.” Lindalana, IL: “Big Gnarly beefs, lovely taste. Keeper for sure. PL.” Midseason

Cesu Agrais Tatiana: “Indet. plants with potato leaf foliage produce loads of small round red fruits, 1-2 oz with delicious rich and intensely sweet flavor. Very early in our garden. Similar to Stupice tomato, but smaller and sweeter, it does exceptionally well in the open ground or pots.”

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

This time of year, I like to do lists. Here are all the tomatoes in Tatiana's list that are both red and potato leaf. There are a couple of errors in this list so double check before growing. I have seed of Faux Red Brandywine which was a seed company goof up 15 years ago. It is a pretty good red potato leaf tomato.

ABC Potato Leaf, An?ka, Apple Tree, Big Sungold Potato Leaf, Bilder, Bloody Butcher, Brandywine, OTV (Off The Vine), Broadleaf, Burwood Prize, Butch's, Cesu Agrais, Cherokee Red Potato Leaf, Coastal Dandy, Coastal Redball, Coastal Valley Potato Leaf, Croatian Heart, Deutscher Fleiss, Eli, Ernie's Round, F. H. Crow, Fan-3, Flavour Steak, Fruhe Liebe, Fuzzy Bomb, Geza's Charleston, Giant Tree, Glacier, Granny's Heart, Green Pearl, Hungarian Giant, Imur Prior Beta, Jagged Leaf, Japanese, Karos, Kotlas, Kukla's Portuguese Beefsteak, Kurt, Lady Lucy, Lambada, Lana, Lap-Leaf, Lenny and Gracie's Kentucky Heirloom, Red, Linda's Faux, Machu Picchu, Manna, Matina, Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic, Mikado Krasnyi, Moravsky Div, Nadia, Neva, Outdoor Girl, Persian Potato Leaf, Piennolo Del Vesuvio, Pomme d'Amour des Canaries, Quedlinburger Frühe Liebe, Rancho Solito, Red Brandywine Potato Leaf, Red Jacket, Red Mennonite, Red Tree, Rockingham, Rouge Du Chexbres, Rousich, Ruffled Potato Leaf, Russian Apple Tree, Schelicauski, Shirley Amish Red, Slava, Stupice, Stupicke Polni Rane, Stupické Polní Rané, Stupicke Sklenikove, Stupické Skleníkové, Stuse, Sugar Beefsteak, Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Tamina, Three Sisters, Tomadose Des Comores, Potato Leaf, Truffaut Précoce, Unikalnyi, Victoria, Vining (Tree), Rogers, Visitation Valley, Wasa, Wayahead, Yablonka Rossii, Zore's Big Red,
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #20
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Would anyone have a recommendation for a great tasting potato leafed Red?
Linda's Faux has my vote. In 2016 I grew both Linda's Faux and Aker's West Virginia. The only difference was LF was PL and AWV was RL. Fruit were identical with great tomato flavor.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Linda%27s_Faux

Bob
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
This time of year, I like to do lists. Here are all the tomatoes in Tatiana's list that are both red and potato leaf. There are a couple of errors in this list so double check before growing. I have seed of Faux Red Brandywine which was a seed company goof up 15 years ago. It is a pretty good red potato leaf tomato.

ABC Potato Leaf, An?ka, Apple Tree, Big Sungold Potato Leaf, Bilder, Bloody Butcher, Brandywine, OTV (Off The Vine), Broadleaf, Burwood Prize, Butch's, Cesu Agrais, Cherokee Red Potato Leaf, Coastal Dandy, Coastal Redball, Coastal Valley Potato Leaf, Croatian Heart, Deutscher Fleiss, Eli, Ernie's Round, F. H. Crow, Fan-3, Flavour Steak, Fruhe Liebe, Fuzzy Bomb, Geza's Charleston, Giant Tree, Glacier, Granny's Heart, Green Pearl, Hungarian Giant, Imur Prior Beta, Jagged Leaf, Japanese, Karos, Kotlas, Kukla's Portuguese Beefsteak, Kurt, Lady Lucy, Lambada, Lana, Lap-Leaf, Lenny and Gracie's Kentucky Heirloom, Red, Linda's Faux, Machu Picchu, Manna, Matina, Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic, Mikado Krasnyi, Moravsky Div, Nadia, Neva, Outdoor Girl, Persian Potato Leaf, Piennolo Del Vesuvio, Pomme d'Amour des Canaries, Quedlinburger Frühe Liebe, Rancho Solito, Red Brandywine Potato Leaf, Red Jacket, Red Mennonite, Red Tree, Rockingham, Rouge Du Chexbres, Rousich, Ruffled Potato Leaf, Russian Apple Tree, Schelicauski, Shirley Amish Red, Slava, Stupice, Stupicke Polni Rane, Stupické Polní Rané, Stupicke Sklenikove, Stupické Skleníkové, Stuse, Sugar Beefsteak, Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Tamina, Three Sisters, Tomadose Des Comores, Potato Leaf, Truffaut Précoce, Unikalnyi, Victoria, Vining (Tree), Rogers, Visitation Valley, Wasa, Wayahead, Yablonka Rossii, Zore's Big Red,
Interesting that there really aren't very many well known ones.
Lots of pink PL. Not many reds overall.
Thank you for the list!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

One that is ready to be more widely distributed is a potato leaf red that emerged out of Lucky Cross (what a gift that line is!) that is delicious - it is called Large Lucky Red. Bill Minkey lists it at SSE, and I am sending a sample to Mike (Victory) to trial. I have very little seed to share...it is a really good one (like most everything in the line that produced Lucky Cross and Little Lucky).

And the dwarf Sweet Scarlet Dwarf from our project is to me one of the best flavored of the 66 releases - potato leaf, medium to medium large...and red!
Old January 9, 2017   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Mat-Su Express is a red PL, and the reports coming back, as well as our own taste tests, hints that it is excellent.

I also have AK Sunset at F6, it is a mystery cross of Brandywine Sudduth's, and has a super old fashioned tomato taste. The fruits run from 4-8 OZ ,or so, with a nice shape.

I also am working on a PL Black Krim X PL Early Girl cross, both in the PL form are pretty rare. ( EG, about 1-100 or so) It is at F4, with two red versions segregated, a perfect red shaped fruit, and a red beefsteak, both taste very good and may be nice market tomatoes.

I will send somebody a bunch of seeds sometime this year to pass around, there are quite a few Mat-Su F5 and 6 floating around, we will have it at F8 here this season, and I will pass those around too.

Very happy with the three mentioned.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown BLOODY BUTCHER , STUPICE and MATINA, But all 3 are under saladette size. BB and Stupice are real early. Matina a lttle behind.
Be warned Stupice has more than one strain.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #25
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Mat-Su Express is a red PL, and the reports coming back, as well as our own taste tests, hints that it is excellent.

I also have AK Sunset at F6, it is a mystery cross of Brandywine Sudduth's, and has a super old fashioned tomato taste. The fruits run from 4-8 OZ ,or so, with a nice shape.

I also am working on a PL Black Krim X PL Early Girl cross, both in the PL form are pretty rare. ( EG, about 1-100 or so) It is at F4, with two red versions segregated, a perfect red shaped fruit, and a red beefsteak, both taste very good and may be nice market tomatoes.

I will send somebody a bunch of seeds sometime this year to pass around, there are quite a few Mat-Su F5 and 6 floating around, we will have it at F8 here this season, and I will pass those around too.

Very happy with the three mentioned.

You seem partial to PL varieties, do they grow better in your environment? The Black Krim, Early Girl cross sounds interesting in PL form, especially since JD's Special C Tex claims to be the same cross in RL. I'll be growing Matsu this summer in CA and I'm excited for it.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #26
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
You seem partial to PL varieties, do they grow better in your environment? The Black Krim, Early Girl cross sounds interesting in PL form, especially since JD's Special C Tex claims to be the same cross in RL. I'll be growing Matsu this summer in CA and I'm excited for it.
We usually shoot for early stuff that will work in AK, or a nicer shape, or a trait that I wish a particular variety had. Upon reading my post I guess it does seem that I prefer PL, so good question.

Actually though, I just had a PL Blk Krim pop up at the same time I had a PL EG handy, and was thinking in terms of a early PL Blk Krim, but the project turned into a larger PL EG that tastes really good. LOL

Many of our crosses use Bloody Butcher, or Matina, and a few Stupice, being PL they often get crossed with a PL late season variety that tastes excellent, so it is PL.

We also crossed them to RL varieties such as Chapman, Dester, and Delicious, maybe I should choose a RL to base the lines on to break the trend. LOL

I also have crossed a few beefsteak varieties, no real plan there, will see what happens down the road.

The mystery Sudduth's cross happened in another garden, there were RL versions, but both versions I now have, Sunrise (pink) and Sunset (red) had superior PL examples. There was actually an orange tomato in the F2 too, but it was ho-hum at best.

Good luck with Mat-Su, hopefully they are not bird food.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #27
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

As the progenitor of Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic....it has my vote

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #28
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Linda's Faux sound good to me!! LOVE Aker's West Virginia. Big producer again for me this FL season..There is also Brandywine Red potato leaf and Boondocks..mine look red and not pink. Good balance between sweet and acidic. Moderate producer / tons of seeds.

Last edited by Gardenboy; January 9, 2017 at 07:11 PM.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #29
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I looked down this path myself and had settled on Linda's Faux or Eli, then Mat-Su Express came along. I grew potato leaf varieties last year for the first time (Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink, Brandy Boy), and they stood out as some of the healthiest and most efficient in the container garden.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #30
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I looked down this path myself and had settled on Linda's Faux or Eli, then Mat-Su Express came along. I grew potato leaf varieties last year for the first time (Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink, Brandy Boy), and they stood out as some of the healthiest and most efficient in the container garden.
Being new to this forum I have been reading lots of threads......And noticed PL plants are different than RL.... Not just the obvious, the leaves, but other characteristics too. Perhaps it is that the varieties are crosses made more recently......And it has hybrid vigor.... (Ramblings of a curious mind.)
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote