Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2006   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Bill,

You only appeared at GW in a posting capacity just a short while ago.

If you were lurking I would not have known that and would not have known that you had seen the posts about this PL variant of Fusions which he posted about starting about two years ago.

So there was no need to post above what you did, in my opinion, in terms of chastisement of me.

No, my memory isn't perfect, it never was and never will be, but my memory says that what Fusion got was a heart shaped fruit. And no you didn't post what the fruit shape was, all you said was that there was a PL Large Pink Bulgarian, inferring that it was a true PL variant of the original.

And yes, there are several others here who will correct me if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time I erred and won't be the last time either.

My only point in posting was that if it's Large Pink Bulgarian that is PL and the fruit shape is not consistent with the original variety, which is one that I introduced, then it isn't Large Pink Bulgarian and thus is not a PL variant of Large Pink Bulgarian, which is RL.
Old February 20, 2006   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I grew seed in 2002 purchased from Chuck Wyatt and labelled as Large Pink Bulgarian. The seedlings were a mix of potato leaf and regular leaf. I planted 3 regular leaf seedlings in my garden and got 3 different fruit shapes. One was a true Large Pink Bulgarian as demonstrated by growing out resulting seed and getting very consistent regular leaf pink fruit. One was a small red tomato about Stupice size and lousy tasting. One was a large tomato with an obvious heart shape. I saved seed from that heart shaped fruit.

I grew that seed in 2003 and among the seedlings were 4 potato leaf. I planted the potato leaf and 3 of them lived. One of them was a red beefsteak type tomato with poor flavor. One was a small perfect heart which I saved as LPB Heart B. One was a large beefsteak type heart shaped fruit with pretty good flavor which I saved as LPB Heart A. I sent the seed of LPB Heart A and LPB Heart B to several people in Australia and was sent back seed by Patrina which I then sent out to several people in the US. This was F4 seed at that time. Of the US growers, 2 sent back seed described as very good. I grew those F6 seed in 2005 and the best of the bunch was a selection from a gentleman named Swanson. I now have F7 seed which I'm growing this year. The selection is consistent with heavy production of large beefsteak type heart shaped tomatoes.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote