Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2017   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
When you are talking to a dedicated heart lover, that's me,I can't limit myself to just 5.

Not in any order

German Red Strawberry
Wes
Russian #117
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart
Kukla's Red Portuguese
Fish Lake Oxheart
Arad's Pink Heart
Toltusaka
Rab Srce
Michaela's Pink
Kosovo
Tsar of Bells
Anna Russian
Orange Russian #117
Joe's Pink Oxheart
Orange Minsk Heart
Indiana Red
Linnie's Oxheart
Nicky Crain
Serdtse Buivola
Bobbie
Hays'

And coming to your neighborhood soon, as they often say

Indian Stripe Heart (PL), finally stabilized by Marina in Russia

Omar's Lebanese Heart, the heart version of the original Omar's Lebanese

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

I tend to disagree with Tania on the taste of the original Omar one,since it has become a very popular variety, and I say that not b/c I was gifted of seeds for it by Omar.

Carolyn

H aha ha Not to worry Carolyn.....I really do understand about staying in the

5 limit too....

but...Holy doodles ...back to the books to research ...these names ..

I do notice some of the same favorites keep coming up in honorable mention
Old June 7, 2017   #17
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Black Bear-

All of these varieties look great. But you won't find much out there on "Omar's Lebanese Heart", as it was only a working name. Last summer I decided to name it "Dotson's Lebanese Heart" and that is the correct name.
You can read the history about how it was discovered here:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Lebanese_Heart

You can purchase seed for it here:

https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/variety/id/94257

And you can follow a growout thread for it here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432

Best of luck on the hearts in pots! They should do well.

Darin

Hey Thanks for the tip .......tips to investigate are worth a lot ...

Thanks
Old June 7, 2017   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I don't know what they taste like yet, but the picture is of Anna Margret's Heart. There are six tomatoes in that cluster that are the size of Brandy Boy or larger. The plant beside it has even larger tomatoes that are not in a cluster.

They are growing in a garden that has soil borne RKN and Fusarium Wilt. I would think they would grow even better in a 7 - 10 gallon container.
Wow ....I wonder how they will finalize in the Texas hot climate ..?

hey look humungous .
Old June 7, 2017   #19
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
OK Carolyn, you stirred the pot. Black Bear- sorry for the post hijack.

I've always tried to be an honest guy, and I simply cannot tolerate inconsistencies in this history! Please let me address these points:

1. Yes, I submitted that "blurb" for inclusion in Tatiana's Tomatobase. It is 100% accurate, and has not changed from the day it was submitted. It will never change. I am a scientist, and I document everything!

2. I am a member of SSE- I paid 25 dollars for the online subscription and I listed this variety. The description is accurate and true.

3. Dutch kindly sent me 300 seeds and said that I could do whatever I wished with those seeds. I have the PM's. In the meantime, I gave about 100 of my ORIGINAL seeds to Marsha to offer them in a seed offer this spring. Some are growing it out this spring.

4. What right do you have to name this at all? How much more abuse do I have to take for naming this in my Mom's memory? At least I kept the Lebanese heritage in the name!

5. I indeed have a coworker and friend who lives in Lebanon- he tried to join T'ville but had issues getting it to work. Omar's Lebanese is known as "Majdel Maouch" in Lebanon and is quite famous. I have thanked Omar Saab profusely for bringing those seeds to you here on this forum.

6. Finally, I have to say that the contentiousness has certainly not been propagated by me! I have tried to be understanding and above-board on all of my posts.

You know, I'm growing a German Johnson this year for the first time. So I search for it on Tomatoville- and I find this thread:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17550

And I find in post #20, from you, the following statements, which I've quoted in partial:

"Camo, since I was in current contact with the person who sent us the three portuguese tomato varieties and I knew you weren't, I shared with you that she wanted them all named Kukla this or that, to honor Larry Kukla who gave her the fruits from Joe, Larry having passed away after she got those fruits and she didn't know that until I asked her if she could find out more information. And as she said, Joe, the original source doesn't speak English very well so Larry was her contact. And I cut and pasted her response to me in that thread where folks were doing their grow out lists so you could see it. So I'm a bit surprised that you didn't want to change the variety names to Kukla this and that, as you wrote above since it was her preference. if the originator of a variety wants to change the name of a variety then I do it, but you received your seeds before Larry passed on so the seeds sent to you didn't have Kukla as part of the variety name.

If you look at my grow out list in that current thread you'll se several that have what I call working names and as soon as the person(s) who sent me the seeds can give me more information I can change the working name to whatever they want it to be called."

So I'm finding it very difficult to understand why I'm being singled out by you on this forum in a naming controversy!

I have no difficulties writing these things, as they are all 100% accurate.
....and now we pause for station identification and a message from our sponsor..

Me just wants Tomatoes.........LOL

Tomatoes are good ........LOL

Tomatoes "been berry berry "good to me.....LOL

Me just wants Tomatoes....
Old June 7, 2017   #20
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Caroline, I gave you seeds for an unknown heirloom almost 4 years ago now. It has yet to be offered by you to the general membership as your offer has not happened since 2013. There is clearly no reason to send seed to you if only an exclusive little group of your friends gets a chance to grow them. I am growing it out myself for seed to offer myself this year and will be sending seed to the big swaps of Zena's gift this fall. I regret not doing that myself 3 years ago and have learned a valuable lesson.
I and many others including Tatiana have supported Darin in his right to name his own tomato discovery and this has been hashed and rehashed over and over in several different threads.
KarenO
Count me in for a few select trial seeds ..next time ...

If I accept them and take them on they will be in a good home ........

and will get the full seed cleaning and even cloning ...to preserve

certain interesting ones.....

I am not commercial by any means ....just an interested hobbyist .
Old June 7, 2017   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Kim's Civil War Oxheart Tomato at Victory seeds

I have Kim's Civil War Tomato from Victory seeds..
Introduced ..2015 ?

but of course I cut back and didn't trial them in the last 2 years ..

I will be most tempted to try them .....as the Hearts are becoming more

of a priority to me .

Does anybody have experience with this one ....

seems interesting in context ....but not sure how a 7 gallon container would go

possibly try a 10 then next time a 7 ...to be sure....etc.
Old June 7, 2017   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Caroline, I gave you seeds for an unknown heirloom almost 4 years ago now. It has yet to be offered by you to the general membership as your offer has not happened since 2013. There is clearly no reason to send seed to you if only an exclusive little group of your friends gets a chance to grow them. I am growing it out myself for seed to offer myself this year and will be sending seed to the big swaps of Zena's gift this fall. I regret not doing that myself 3 years ago and have learned a valuable lesson.
I and many others including Tatiana have supported Darin in his right to name his own tomato discovery and this has been hashed and rehashed over and over in several different threads.
KarenO
I don't know about the 4 years ago,I'd have to check.

You didn't send enough seeds to be offered outright so seed production had to be done and my last seed offer here at TV was in 2014, not 2013.

I listed it for seed production and Neil chose that one and did the seed production for it, but got only enough seeds to SSE list it,which he did.

You got mad since he said seeds from me without mentioning you as the original seed donor. I don't think it was deliberate, rather he just forgot trying to get his listings in on time.And I'm now recalling that you were so mad you even contacted Neil about it.

I have no exclusive little club as you just said,let me tell you how it works which should clarify all for you.

As new seeds come in, some already to go and some that need seed production a spreadsheet has been put up 1 or 2 of my very computer savvy seed producers , I'm not that savvy to do what they do,listing them and what I know about them.

We rotate who goes first each time to be fair to all.They put a check mark next to the ones they would like and I send the seeds to each of them.

As the season progresses they go to the 2nd page of the spreadsheet and describe what they got to ensure that they got the right variety that was initially described to me,then on the 3rd page those who can and want to show pictures

There never has been and never will be any exclusive little club as you just accused me of ever since I started doing seed offers over 30 years ago and at different places before doing so at TV which I think was in early Jan 2006.

Carolyn
Old June 7, 2017   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Black Bear, I can only apologize to you to see this thread go downhill, which saddens me greatly.

Remember please it was not I who started it it was Darin disagreeing with a variety that I had listed for you.

I've tried and tried to clarify and try my best to do so, but others seem to want to continue it.

And perhaps when I'm asked again to list some of my favorite varieties varieties, as I've done elsewhere for many years as well as here since about 2006 perhaps I'll think twice before doing so.

I used to look forward to coming here to post where I thought I could help,to learn from others as well, but recently that isn't happening as much which really saddens me since I still think that TV is still the best darn message site on the net for what is covered here that I know of,and yes,I do know a lot of such message sites. Some I posted in and things got nasty and I left and so did others, two in CA kinda blew up,others folded for lack of interest and weren't attracting new members, and two I know of are just kind of puttering along .

Carolyn
Old June 7, 2017   #24
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Count me in for a few select trial seeds ..next time ...

If I accept them and take them on they will be in a good home ........

and will get the full seed cleaning and even cloning ...to preserve

certain interesting ones.....

I am not commercial by any means ....just an interested hobbyist .
Well I have seed for probably at least 60-70 hearts in my stash, including Zena's gift which is a very blunt heart as well. Since we are neighbors, pm me what you are looking for and I will see if I have it.
KarenO
Old June 7, 2017   #25
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Black Bear, I can only apologize to you to see this thread go downhill, which saddens me greatly.

Remember please it was not I who started it it was Darin disagreeing with a variety that I had listed for you.

I've tried and tried to clarify and try my best to do so, but others seem to want to continue it.

And perhaps when I'm asked again to list some of my favorite varieties varieties, as I've done elsewhere for many years as well as here since about 2006 perhaps I'll think twice before doing so.

I used to look forward to coming here to post where I thought I could help,to learn from others as well, but recently that isn't happening as much which really saddens me since I still think that TV is still the best darn message site on the net for what is covered here that I know of,and yes,I do know a lot of such message sites. Some I posted in and things got nasty and I left and so did others, two in CA kinda blew up,others folded for lack of interest and weren't attracting new members, and two I know of are just kind of puttering along .

Carolyn
Well I for one..value your opinion and would like to hear from you .....

Forgive me for not comprehending the full extend of the gobblety gook
disagreement ........but you don't have to have an exiting disagreement to up the entertainment values here ....

to increase the viewers/ audience Quotient ...or the show gets canceled ?

LOL

We are trying to help each other with the best Tomato tips and information possible ..

anecdotal experience ......which saves years....YEARS...of exploration ..

I for one value this forum and the help It has provided ...THANKS TO EVERYONE

As I continue ...with Kim's Civil War Oxheart from Victory seeds...

I promise I will not rename it the Big Canadian Moose Heart ...

I just may require a signed copy of your book ...for Christmas
Old June 7, 2017   #26
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Cool repost from last year ..for consideration

Other Picks/ recommendations last year from Andrey.....

That seemed to be of interest to this Threat....I repost here.

Originally Posted by Andrey_BY
Besides EM Champion there are some other Siberian determinate tomato varieties with large fruit:

Rozovyi Myod (=Pink Honey in English)
Danko
Velmozha
Kanopus
Gina
Tolstyi Jack (=Fat Jack in English)
Shtambovyi Krupnoplodnyi (=Tree-type Large-fruited in English)
Old June 7, 2017   #27
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well I have seed for probably at least 60-70 hearts in my stash, including Zena's gift which is a very blunt heart as well. Since we are neighbors, pm me what you are looking for and I will see if I have it.
KarenO
I will PM but maybe there are 5 recommendations you can share here ....

I am thinking ....Hearts , Large fruited , 7 -10 gallon containers..

Early and of course tolerant of cool coastal but does not give up the ghost with a
spike of heat .... (Indeterminate , Semi, ?)

I am extremely Happy with EM Champion and Velmozha this year ....

They have tolerated the cold spring and record heat spike ...and set fruit
early and growing ...
Old June 7, 2017   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Wow ....I wonder how they will finalize in the Texas hot climate ..?

hey look humungous .
They are really big. The next 7 days' forecast is for high temperatures 90 to 95F which is normal for here in June. I'm hoping they will hurry up and ripen or at least first blush before July.

I've already written about the soil borne issues here. The heat of July kills spring planted tomato plants here no matter what you do.
Old June 7, 2017   #29
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I am partial of course to my own breeding projects not ready for release yet but have some nice hearts that take up most of my space.
For others, Work release paste, strawberry wedge 1884, Ludmillas pink heart, mayo's delight, fish lake oxheart and For dwarfs, dwarf pink passion and dwarf Purple Heart are some I have had great success with.
With commitment to watering and fertilizing you can grow anything in 10 gallons imo.
KarenO
Old June 8, 2017   #30
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

yeah we have the opposite problem in PNW ....

we had nice record high temps . for end of May early June ..(Like Highest Summer) but now we have highs forecast sub 20C /68F for next week with lows of 6 or 7 C brrrrrr. and rain.

ohhh I am not sure I could get used to that July heat cut off ...

but I guess you adapt and have in fact 2 Tomato seasons spring ...then Fall .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They are really big. The next 7 days' forecast is for high temperatures 90 to 95F which is normal for here in June. I'm hoping they will hurry up and ripen or at least first blush before July.

I've already written about the soil borne issues here. The heat of July kills spring planted tomato plants here no matter what you do.