Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2016   #286
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

19xF2 fruits left to right matching their respective plants. The left and middle plants are showing very dark green shoulders while the right plant is not. The midddle plant is setting tons of fruit and 2 more multiflora clusters are beginning to open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6C73961-1332-4F2F-AC99-4DC7E685F550.jpg (342.7 KB, 221 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016   #287
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Fuzzy little cuties
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016   #288
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Great looking plant. Which cross is that?
Sorry I haven't been back. I don't get updates anymore so missed it.

Anyway, a lot of fruit is ripening now and they taste really GOOD. It is 21X something. They are red cherry tomatoes; /hundreds/possibly 1000.

Plus I grew another red cherry this year called Lizzanno which was awesome and short and super productive. A determinate so it's completing its' mission. Anyway, for 21X to taste really good when I've had really good red cherries is saying something.

I will get a picture of the fruit tomorrow; and the exact plant I am growing.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #289
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A couple interesting observations. The smallest plant of 19xF2(left plant) is somewhat multiflora and expressing antho. See first collage below. You can see purple streaks in the fruit between sepal shadows and one fruit that is facing the light is quite purple. Further down on the plant are the first fruits which are shaded and do not exhibit antho. The second collage is my tallest 19xF2 (right plant). It's first truss is much like the F1, not something I'd describe as multiflora. But a subsequent truss further up is clearly multiflora. I didn't share any pics of my middle plant--it continues to set lots of fruit on strongly multiflora clusters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17E3C8E4-6D00-431D-AFAE-A3575D87D66C.jpg (388.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 441CB940-2FA0-434E-AAFE-1C1F311BD6BE.jpg (478.0 KB, 201 views)
Old January 6, 2017   #290
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

That last pic looks like someone blew a bunch of purple dust onto it!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #291
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Ha! It kind of does. It doesn't look like that in person, one of the bulbs shows up purple-ish in photos. Its quite green in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7938.JPG (99.3 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 6, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old January 6, 2017   #292
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
A couple interesting observations. The smallest plant of 19xF2(left plant) is somewhat multiflora and expressing antho. See first collage below. You can see purple streaks in the fruit between sepal shadows and one fruit that is facing the light is quite purple. Further down on the plant are the first fruits which are shaded and do not exhibit antho. The second collage is my tallest 19xF2 (right plant). It's first truss is much like the F1, not something I'd describe as multiflora. But a subsequent truss further up is clearly multiflora. I didn't share any pics of my middle plant--it continues to set lots of fruit on strongly multiflora clusters.
Great photos! The antho doesn't surprise me in that cross. I mentioned in a post a few months ago that the Ambrosia Orange I used in making the cross for 19X showed antho in the fruit. It is going to be really interesting to see what these end up like. I have a couple of F2s growing, but they are not nearly as far along as yours. Keep us posted.

Also, I have seen quite a few plants where the first truss of blossoms doesn't look to be multiflora, but later trusses are definitely multiflora. It's quite common from what I've seen.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #293
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default F3 seeds available if anyone wants to do some looking

I have F3 seed from a number of new crosses available if anyone wants to do some hunting - And I'll have additional ones on a regular basis through the rest of the winter and spring. If the F2s I have growing now do like I think (and hope) they will, I'll have various colors and striped varieties to pick from.

So far, I only have red, pink, antho, purple (or black) and yellow. Most of those I saved seed from have been 24" and shorter. They were all grown inside in small pots - probably without enough fertilizer. So, they may get larger outside (or maybe they'll stay smaller outside in the sun). Not knowing is half the fun, isn't it?

Anyway, if you would like to grow some and are willing to share your results here (and seeds with me) PM me and let me know what you have the most interest in and how many you want to grow.

I also have lots of F2 seeds from many different crosses if you'd like to so do some real dwarf/micro hunting. It's actually a lot of, fun but you have to be willing to plant a lot knowing that you will throw most of them away.
Old January 12, 2017   #294
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynut1977 View Post
This is from the 11/12xf3x3 PL line, plant#3. In my garden in the ground this was just over 1ft in height. I'm not sure if you would place this as multiflora though(Out of all I started I only had 2 true multiflora plants). Cherry size was perfect, not too big, 1/2" or a touch bigger. Taste was there, I would say 8/10 at least. Skins weren't thick. Now I'm not saying this was "better" as we all have different taste buds, but for me, I preferred the taste of these over my Sungolds. They weren't as sweet as the Sungolds, but they had a rich taste. If somebody wants to carry this one on, I highly recommend it. Even though it might not be multiflora , the taste was there and the size would be manageable indoors.

[IMG][/IMG]
It's been awhile, but I did start seed in December saved from this plant. I have 9 little potato leaved plants. They tasted so great last summer.
Old January 12, 2017   #295
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have F3 seed from a number of new crosses available if anyone wants to do some hunting - And I'll have additional ones on a regular basis through the rest of the winter and spring. If the F2s I have growing now do like I think (and hope) they will, I'll have various colors and striped varieties to pick from.

So far, I only have red, pink, antho, purple (or black) and yellow. Most of those I saved seed from have been 24" and shorter. They were all grown inside in small pots - probably without enough fertilizer. So, they may get larger outside (or maybe they'll stay smaller outside in the sun). Not knowing is half the fun, isn't it?

Anyway, if you would like to grow some and are willing to share your results here (and seeds with me) PM me and let me know what you have the most interest in and how many you want to grow.

I also have lots of F2 seeds from many different crosses if you'd like to so do some real dwarf/micro hunting. It's actually a lot of, fun but you have to be willing to plant a lot knowing that you will throw most of them away.
I'm ready to start another 72 cell tray. disneynut's grow out i want somehow. However how. Planning to start two per cell, two rows each of what i have. Lots of room for more. Reds and any with signs of antho. Don't use the greenhouse until mid March but that might be good timing if i start another cell tray soon.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #296
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I'm ready to start another 72 cell tray. disneynut's grow out i want somehow. However how. Planning to start two per cell, two rows each of what i have. Lots of room for more. Reds and any with signs of antho. Don't use the greenhouse until mid March but that might be good timing if i start another cell tray soon.
I just processed a bunch of seeds from one with antho. I'll send you some when I get back home Wednesday. The parent plant reached 16" under my lights. Hopefully, you can find something even smaller. I will also send a few others if you want. Let me know. I take it you prefer red.....?

Disneynut - if you have enough seed from that plant you just posted about, could you send some seed to Oakley? If you have enough and could send some.... Oakley, PM her your address. Melissa, I'll send you some stamps to cover your postage.
Old January 12, 2017   #297
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just processed a bunch of seeds from one with antho. I'll send you some when I get back home Wednesday. The parent plant reached 16" under my lights. Hopefully, you can find something even smaller. I will also send a few others if you want. Let me know. I take it you prefer red.....?

Disneynut - if you have enough seed from that plant you just posted about, could you send some seed to Oakley? If you have enough and could send some.... Oakley, PM her your address. Melissa, I'll send you some stamps to cover your postage.
SUGAR BISQUITS

I just sent all my remaing seed to you in the mail today. Sorry, I would have loved to send seed his way. It should get to you soon though. Even though it wasn't multiflora the taste was so good and I prefer the smaller sized cherries. I plan on keeping all 9 plants I started and saving seed from the best.
Old January 12, 2017   #298
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
SUGAR BISQUITS

I just sent all my remaing seed to you in the mail today. Sorry, I would have loved to send seed his way. It should get to you soon though. Even though it wasn't multiflora the taste was so good and I prefer the smaller sized cherries. I plan on keeping all 9 plants I started and saving seed from the best.
No problem. I'll send Oakley some as soon as I get them.

I hope they come similar. It would be great to see one stabilize quickly..... Did they show a lot of difference as F3s?
Old January 12, 2017   #299
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
SUGAR BISQUITS

I hope they come similar. It would be great to see one stabilize quickly..... Did they show a lot of difference as F3s?
Old January 13, 2017   #300
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

yes thay did, I had 5 or 6 plants from this line during summer and only 1 was like this. That was the same line that I had 2 plants close to the one I'm growing now. Same size plant, not multiflora, red instead of black, taste was very good too but the skins were too thick.