Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 21, 2013   #361
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

I for one, have NEVER been under any control by Mischka or anyone else here. I found the exact opposite true on other sites where the snake oil salesman is allowed to be a playground bully.

Now, I am rather satisfied that I spoke my mind.

Thanks for the forum and thanks for allowing free speech.

Carry on ladies and gents. Keep your posts civil and do not feed the trolls!

Grow on.
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #362
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I was checking out Tomato books the other day at Amazon and came across Carolyn's book which I have. Looks like they are available again. Anyway I was looking at the reviews and guess whose name pops up as a reviewer, Pepper Jerk. Somebody needs to do a tap dance on his head.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Hawken-H...R2M9C8HSA65H1I
Old July 22, 2013   #363
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Ha! What a bunch of sour grapes that guy is. I will log into Amazon next week and enter an appropriate 5 star review for Carolyns most excellent book.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #364
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I was checking out Tomato books the other day at Amazon and came across Carolyn's book which I have. Looks like they are available again. Anyway I was looking at the reviews and guess whose name pops up as a reviewer, Pepper Jerk. Somebody needs to do a tap dance on his head.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Hawken-H...R2M9C8HSA65H1I
No Ami, it's not available again, but some buy used copies which can be seen with the 2013 reviews until you get to Joe and Penny and Joe's comments on the book.

I read through all the pages, haven't done that in a long time and as noted on the first page 37/49 reviews gave it five stars and one even 5 1/2.

of course its dated b'c I had to chose the varieties to be photographed in 1997, did a growout in 98 to be sure I had fresh seed for the 1998 growout when photography would be done.

And yes, at that time I'd only grown about 1200 varieties and now it's well over 3K varieties.

I described the whole process in detail in the thread where Craig L ( nctomatoman) was asking for help with his book and commented that he didnt know I got done all I did.

So anyone interested in the details can read it there.

Several of us here tried to help Penny with her website, and did, but it was a no go since she had renamed so many varieties and ended up changing almost nothing. That thread should also still be around for anyone who wants to go searching for it.

Carolyn
Old July 22, 2013   #365
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Ha! What a bunch of sour grapes that guy is. I will log into Amazon next week and enter an appropriate 5 star review for Carolyns most excellent book.
Ha, Biazanator gave a great review....

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #366
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

As much as I hate this thread, because it is a negative thread on an otherwise positive forum.....the proof in the pudding that this thread is needed is the link to Amazon.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #367
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this is a long and sometimes unpopular thread. Many forget, or perhaps never knew that several, including Carolyn and Tania reached out to help Penny correct mistakes and replace stolen photos, etc, as Carolyn mentions above. These are the very people, and others that were attacked, served legal papers, smeared, etc. This thread is a public service announcement!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #368
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

"This book is a disgrace and is so OLD and OUTDATED it should be retired with a little dignity and class. Everyone should return it for a refund and not be ripped off. SO SAD....even sports figures know when it's time to hang up the jersey.
Poor Dr. Carolyn Male just needs to stop living in the past."

FIRST: Those who do not know the past are doomed to repeat it! Looks like that spiteful schmo cares not for the history and the documented evolution/creation of tomatoes via the "old stuff" historical record. "Old varieties" are sometimes brought back. Wouldn't it be great to be able to reference it somewhere?

Second, one of my most prized possessions is a Collier's World Atlas and Gazetteer dated 1938 which gives a more in depth and TRUTHFUL history of the Untied States and Presidents up to that date. (No tomatoes/peppers mentioned though!) Hunters still use a bow and arrow today. Shall they hang up the hunt in favor of modern weapons? We still fish with a rod and line, right?

As far as those who say this is negative, I would politely disagree. It is a public good to warn others of unethical "power sellers" who resort to the tactics these two do. It is also good because the posts and the comments are as respectful as those typing them. I use the term I do to avoid possible copyright infringement, if one can copyright his name, that one would.
Old July 22, 2013   #369
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I spoke to the outdated nature of my book in post #360 and the reasons why.

But anyone who has the book can tell you that the majority of the varieties featured are still very popular today and always will be.

Carolyn
Old July 22, 2013   #370
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

No offense meant Carolyn137. I can only type for myself and I can say that books are invaluable sources. I will have to educate myself on the content of yours, however, my humble point was that while old and outdated were words used to degrade your book and your work, words such as "not correct, false information, or non-sense" were not, which seems to indicate that the reviewer has an axe to grind about a publishing date, NOT the facts contained therein.

That is a compliment that the fool didn't know he was making to you while focusing on attack mode.

So, I am left asking myself this question. To whom should I trust with a tomato question? Not the person who thinks "replacing the order because I'm a good guy" will solve your "problem."

And the darndest thing is this, and I am letting the cat out of the hat. How many books do the thieves have in current print? How many OOP?

We all know what opinions are like...
Old July 22, 2013   #371
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

What!!!!!!!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #372
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have to say after reading this thread for the first time that it explains a lot of nonsense that I read on the DG website. I'm sorry to see so much unethical practice being done to people who just want to grow tomatoes and vegetables and whatever else they choose. Sad! Carolyn, age brings wisdom and only an idiot would give such a review of your book, which I would dearly love to get my hands on a copy. And for people like Tatiana, seriously, how could anyone attack her? Carry on, TV!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #373
kurt
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Calcat36;365619]No offense meant Carolyn137. I can only type for myself and I can say that books are invaluable sources. I will have to educate myself on the content of yours, however, my humble point was that while old and outdated were words used to degrade your book and your work, words such as "not correct, false information, or non-sense" were not, which seems to indicate that the reviewer has an axe to grind about a publishing date, NOT the facts contained therein.We are a Internet business and Catalog business only. This is our shipping address only and NOT a store or farm.
We cannot accept visitors for proprietary reasons. THANK YOU.

This might answer the question of trust in tomatoe questions .This occurs on Pennys site at the bottom of pages and Pepper Joes web page also.I myself like the "only"part of the disclaimer.
Old July 22, 2013   #374
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Kurt! I have not been to the site, nor will I ever visit it. It is a shame that the seller cannot stand behind the product! Besides, any questions that may arise, I am confident in everyone here to share the wealth, as I try do do with my limited knowledge.

If it was unclear to anyone, Carolyn137 and I have never met, unless she stalked me and I did not know any better! I have heard of her book, yet i have never researched it. But having her here and her willingness to help speaks to something new fangled, that has been forgotten from days past. Character.

I despise the personal attacks and that is MY issue, no one else's. I am glad to know Carolyn137 is a single post away. That is what I consider PRICELESS.
Old July 22, 2013   #375
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Just want to add another point. I am an amateur home gardener, which probably speaks to a lot of people here at TV, so it doubly stinks that anyone could sell seeds to unsuspecting eager beavers that aren't true. This is all based on trust and the great thing about having a forum like TV is that we can share our experiences and find out if we are dealing with good, honest and knowledgable people. If I share seeds with someone else, I want to be able to know that they are what they are supposed to be and when I grow them, I want to know the same thing. So far I purchased seeds through Tatiana, Gary Ibsen, trade winds and Victory Seeds. Tatiana has been so gracious to answer any questions. Just makes you want buy everything!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy