Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 16, 2015   #406
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Thanks for posting the link. So do you need to request a quote? I couldn't just add it to a cart.

Ginny - Your plants looks fabulous. I'm glad they are growing well for you. How is the Big Beef doing? I have one in a container but no flowers yet; it is sizable though.

I posted a couple of pics on the Harry Glee thread (Garden Gem and Garden Treasure).

Also, posted pics of what the Large Barred Boar looks like today as well as Before and Afters of George/Nar. George/Nar were perfect when I transplanted them, then they got the droop (but not wilting). Now they are fine. Stopped using FoxFarm Kangaroots drench and went back to the EarthJuice molasses on any further transplants and no problems.

BTW - I've been buzzing at 11 AM now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #407
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Perfect!! Thank you so much. Does it eliminate the green tomato horn worms entirely if used properly?

Ginny
Yes, yes, yes!!!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #408
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - Thanks for posting the link. So do you need to request a quote? I couldn't just add it to a cart.

Ginny - Your plants looks fabulous. I'm glad they are growing well for you. How is the Big Beef doing? I have one in a container but no flowers yet; it is sizable though.

I posted a couple of pics on the Harry Glee thread (Garden Gem and Garden Treasure).

Also, posted pics of what the Large Barred Boar looks like today as well as Before and Afters of George/Nar. George/Nar were perfect when I transplanted them, then they got the droop (but not wilting). Now they are fine. Stopped using FoxFarm Kangaroots drench and went back to the EarthJuice molasses on any further transplants and no problems.

I didn't have to request a quote at the time, but that was 3 years ago.
Old October 16, 2015   #409
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

The Big Beef is doing great. It has buds just starting. The cherry types including Pink Tiger, Brandywine Dark Cherry and Ildi are the only ones making full blooms or with fruit already.

The only plant that is struggling is Black from Tula. For some reason the new top growth withered and wilted but not the existing growth. I havent given up on it though.

Your Garden Gem and Garden Treasure plants look very healthy and robust.

It will be interesting to see how well you like them... :-)

thank you again for all of the tomato plants. I have been so happy to transplant them and putz around messing with them.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #410
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

First ripening tomatoes... from the volunteer black cherry.

Kurt my oils arrived today... grapefruit and basil oils for my whiteflies.

Ginny
Old October 19, 2015   #411
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, Ginny, I can just imagine tasting that black cherry. Yummm!
Old October 19, 2015   #412
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ooh, Ginny, I can just imagine tasting that black cherry. Yummm!
Just a couple more days... or maybe tomorrow. .. lol.

How are the winds everywhere elae? They are Howling here. Crazy!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 19, 2015   #413
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Just a couple more days... or maybe tomorrow. .. lol.

How are the winds everywhere elae? They are Howling here. Crazy!

Ginny

We have serious blowage! gusts to 30mph, but constant wind. I kinda like it, nice to not be hot.
Old October 19, 2015   #414
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Rough winds here too, since early Sunday. 30 MPH gusts with 24 MPH constant. I think a few more days of this; some plants getting a little beat up. We need the night-time temps to drop; still mid 70s.

Ginny - where did you order the oils from?

The first tomato of the season - lucky you.

BTW - I watched the video on the Vegibee; I swear this was a different video.
Is it necessary to collect the pollen in the black spoon and self pollinate? I know I would never do that on a regular basis.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #415
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I have never self pollinated them that way. Just barely touching the VeggieBee or electric tooth brush to the flower makes the pollen drop to where it needs to be.

I ordered the oils from Amazon.

Thats some strong wind. We had to put wind blocks up to help prtect the plants. Relentless!

Ginny

Old October 20, 2015   #416
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I do not collect the pollen in the spoon. That is too much work for me and if you don't clean it well when working with different plants you could end up with accidental crosses. But if you did want to make your own cross the spoon would be great. In the video he did not touch the actual flower just the stem right behind it. I am seeing such good results using it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #417
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My friend an another forum, and sometimes on here, Paprika, says he just loves his Vegibee. He is a breeder, hobbyist type, not pro, but he creates lots of interesting crosses. He explained that he touches it to the main stem just a few seconds, and swears it makes the whole plant stronger. I can see how thst might be true, it's thigmotropism! Of course he touches it to the flower stem, not flower itself, and he gets great production too.
He actually uses a different speed, lesser, for the flower stem, and higher setting for the main stem.
Right now, I think the wind is our best Vegibee.
Supposed to be windy through Thursday.
Old October 22, 2015   #418
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

J&L Gardens had sent me a trial pack of Painted Pink with my seed order. I have been waiting for one to gt ripe to taste it. None of mine are ripe yet but when I was at the demonstration garden today there were a lot ripe. Everyone that tasted it was the best tasting tomato of the ones we sampled today and it is so pretty. Even when it is green it has purple shoulders that has caught everyone's attention.
http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=280
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015   #419
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
J&L Gardens had sent me a trial pack of Painted Pink with my seed order. I have been waiting for one to gt ripe to taste it. None of mine are ripe yet but when I was at the demonstration garden today there were a lot ripe. Everyone that tasted it was the best tasting tomato of the ones we sampled today and it is so pretty. Even when it is green it has purple shoulders that has caught everyone's attention.
http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=280
Just clicked on your link Kaynabler! Will there be F5 seeds offered in your future?
Old October 22, 2015   #420
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay,

How neat! I also received a trial package (as you know... :-) and my little ones had the purple under sides of the leaves. Mine died in the great seedling fiasco I had but I started some more. Is it sweet tasting or how would you describe it?

Ginny