Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 16, 2006   #31
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Suze, Beautiful as always! I really really love Black Cherry. I am trying Black Sea man tonight and will give a report.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2006   #32
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow

Thanks for the amazing eye-candy, Suze.

I like the melon reference with Green Giant. Reminded me a lot of that green melon, honeydew, we call it. Sweet and almost grassy.

Your reports are great.

I need to source some Cuostralee as mine were Crossedalee.

Mantis,
Hope you're well. My NBD was a sturdy 4ft plant with good production of nice big pinks. My earliest slicer. But as the weather heated up here and the humidity set in it suffered, whereas that workhorse Kimberly kicked on and it tasted better and better.

Note to self must try: Gogosha, Lucky Cross, Aunt Gertie's Gold.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #33
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSCOLO
Suze, Beautiful as always! I really really love Black Cherry. I am trying Black Sea man tonight and will give a report.
How was the Black Sea Man?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #34
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Thanks for the amazing eye-candy, Suze.

I like the melon reference with Green Giant. Reminded me a lot of that green melon, honeydew, we call it. Sweet and almost grassy.
Welly, welly, well -- Grub lives! I thought you had been sucked into a wormhole or something.

That's it exactly re the honeydew taste. Really, I can't decide which one I like better -- the Cherokee Green or the Green Giant. They are just so different. I'll just say that it's nice to have them both. Still waiting on a ripe GMG.

Yep, try the Gogosha. And the Lucky Cross has not let me down yet in the taste dept (third time growing it).
Old June 20, 2006   #35
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Black Sea man is coming back next year. It was tasty and was loaded with large fruit. My Container BSM had bigger fruit then my in ground one?? I saved seed from my container one. Let me know if you want any, I will post a pic later one. -Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2006   #36
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Welly, welly, well -- Grub lives! I thought you had been sucked into a wormhole or something.
After raising and then razing 64 or 67 plants or something I needed to see my therapist . And only now is Green Giant finally pushing up daisies. Rose Quartz Multiflora is still going strong and Broad Ripple Yellow Currant and Matts Wild are back.

Mostly, I've been marking time rebuildiing beds. The house was painted and, now I have no bathroom, not even a loo. A month before I can move back in.

So sure glad you're posting, Suze, as your pics are inspirational. My Lucky Cross from last season was a local selection and not a bicolour. Nice but I want the bicolour. On the list, on the list :wink:
Old June 21, 2006   #37
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Hope the therapist wasn't too harsh with you Grub.
NBD sounds good to me and I think I will try two in one of my selfwatering tubs.
Great pics Suze. You really are having a good time eh.
I am out of hospital with some lovely looking full length bandages on my legs, sexy I am suposed to keep moving as much as possible so I decided on baking some brownies and other things as it is actually raining here. Not enough rain to do any good but to wet to walk the dog.
Mantis *off to try a coffee cake recipe I found*
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2006   #38
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Up and Away

Good to hear you're up and at 'em. I'm looking forward to sowing some stuff inc. peppers soon. Meantime, more harvest pics please
Old June 22, 2006   #39
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Grub, thanks for the kind words, and I'll post some more piccies tonight (after I get around to hosting them). Gotta run to the post office and mail out some seeds right now, though. A month before you can use the loo or the entire house?
PS -- check your PM here, thanks; you've got an unread one from me.

I have a penchant?! (I love that word)

Keith, I tend to slice the hearts/plums/elongated types stem to stern because I like the way they look when done up in that fashion -- kind of prosciutto-like.

And sometimes it might be because when I save seeds, I like to quarter the fruits longitudinally, like with this Orange-1 I picked yesterday:

Love the peachy interior coloration.
Old June 22, 2006   #40
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSCOLO
Black Sea man is coming back next year. It was tasty and was loaded with large fruit. My Container BSM had bigger fruit then my in ground one?? I saved seed from my container one. Let me know if you want any, I will post a pic later one. -Rena
Would love to see pics when you get a chance.
Old June 22, 2006   #41
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous photos, and Tomatoes. Two of my favorite things ))
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2006   #42
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Dora. Flavor is excellent. On the tart side, but with good balance. Just the way I like 'em. Has continued to set fruit in this horrific heat, as has Gary O'Sena.

(Keith, comments? Looked a bit more purply on your website, and you mentioned a tendency towards green shoulders. I'm not seeing that.)

Multicolored tomato sammich (just because). Shades of Bruce.

Berkeley Tie Dye. Color and shape has improved somewhat with later fruits.

Old June 23, 2006   #43
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Great shots Suze and I gave your sandwich a 10 on the ImageShack scale, looks delicious. I’ve finally made a spot for Germaid Red this year after reading all the reviews. Is it usually productive for you?

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2006   #44
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Suze, great stuff! The Carbon made me drool. LOL. I love Carbon. Been pushing it for the past few years as a great tasting black.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2006   #45
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bruce, never grown Germaid Red before, so I'll reserve judgment on productivity for now. Also, I only planted one plant in a large (18 gal) container this year, so really not a 'fair' trial. Flavor was truly terrific and luscious though, so I'll grow again.

John, the BTD has been fun to grow and has a fairly good taste, but just doesn't seem to be able to produce a stunning coloration in my climate. Oh well, most of the striped ones don't here, at least in my experience. OTOH, the darks usually end up looking amazing. :wink:

Earl, I think you were the one that convinced me on Carbon. Thank you (you were right).