July 13, 2012 | #31 |
Tomatovillian™
|
In my pair of purples, it turned out it was all one plant spreading itself out, the other part of the pair shriveled up and died -- it had very few roots and was pretty small overall.. Maybe I won't get purples this year either...
On a good note, I saw a giant black bumblebee hanging off one of the top blossoms on my green pair of tomatillos -- they're now a bush 6' x 6' x 6'. I took down the hummingbird feeder because it turned out to be a fast food joint for the bees -- maybe now they'll pollinate something! I've been doing their work for them on the squash.. |
July 13, 2012 | #32 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
July 22, 2012 | #33 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hi everybody. I'm new to growing tomatillos too. Bought a packet of Cisneros and planted them two months ago. They are growing fine in my mini greenhouse, but I don't think they would have done so well outside of it. They are very delicate and easily droop when watered on. Some are now blossoming at two feet height, and since I have several plants crammed together, I am hoping they pollinate to produce fruits.
My mini greenhouse is a half 55gal barrel with a garden wire mesh screen around it, which is then covered with a 55gal clear plastic bag. As the plant grows and needs more sun, I tear holes in the plastic a little at a time. Another thing is that tomatillos are not known to grow where I live. They don't even sell the seeds here. I bought mines through Tradewindsfruits.com . From Honolulu, Hi Poha Last edited by HiPoha; August 13, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: error, add photos |
July 28, 2012 | #34 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Anybody saving seed from their tomatillos? It is time for me to be doing that. Do the seeds need fermented like tomatoes? Thanks
|