Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 18, 2015   #31
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

sorry, W

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
sorry, W
No need to apologize, people are hypocrites.
It reminds me of the person that wont wear leather and protests oil and has plastic vinyl clothes made from a chemical plant that pollutes our streams soil and air with chemicals that come from oil.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #33
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

To the OP - about your rodent (or whatever) problem, you might want to try a hot pepper spray or even just sprinkling cayenne pepper on the fruit itself. If it is squirrels, they hate the stuff (I love seeing their little faces when they get into my MIL's birdfeeder - we mix cayenne into all the birdseed). If it's something else, who knows maybe they'll hate it too?
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2015   #34
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I have no knowledge of any squirrels I may or may not have eliminated from my property this year, but I can tell you that if your problem squirrels are removed, others move in to the unoccupied territory within days and the problem continues. In my suburban setting, controlling the problem through removal or elimination would mean dealing with 40-50 squirrels or more, and I don't know that my neighbors would appreciate that. That's also not how I want to end up on the local news.

I have finally had a few weeks of tasty BLTs, after wrapping my plants in multiple layers of all purpose animal netting. $15 got me a 7'x100' roll. This netting is the only reason I have had any slicers this year. Sadly I lost over 200 (non-cherry) tomatoes. That includes 30 Pink Brandywines, most of which would have been a pound each, as I had been removing secondary flowers to get big tomatoes. Post-squirrel destruction I think that was a bad idea. I just wanted them to reach their fullest genetic potential.

Plastic netting works. Now I see squirrels eating my from neighbors' gardens.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote