Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2006   #31
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Great Pics Suze....

I'll give you my warm season update....whether you want to hear it or not. :wink:

Your Cherokee Purples are a lot darker than mine. All of ours have a dusky reddish color that never really deepens to what yours look like. The ONLY thing I can find wrong with this tomato is the ones I have always keep substantial green shoulders no matter how or where I let them ripen, whether it be on the vine or in our kitchen. That causes us to waste a little from the top of each, but that is well worth what tomato we do get. On the other hand, that's where the cracking is anyway, so who cares? 8)

Other than that, I have been extremely pleased with the CP plants as well as the fruit. My plants have been very well behaved; they are only about 3-4 feet tall (planted out in Mid-March) while everything else I have are 5-8 feet tall right now.

My Brandywine Reds are simply gorgeous plants loaded with perfect little fruits. I have been a little disappointed with the taste - it's just not as robust as I would like, but I have saved some seed for next year to see if they get better.

Sudduth's are falling victim to TSWV, I think. I know I need to pull them before more damage is done elsewhere. I lost one to this early as well as a Brandywine Red and a Cuostralee.

I picked my first Omar's Lebanese this AM and it was a whopper.

Ya'll can come get all the Black Krims you can carry....they haven't set the woods on fire for taste.

DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #32
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Great Pics Suze....

DrR, great report. Let us know what you think of the Omar's when you get a chance to taste. I've never grown this one, not really sure why.

I've grown Black Krim a couple of times and do like it. But I like Black from Tula and many other darks much better.

CP has always gotten dark like that for me. Climate? That's probably a large part of it. My original source for CP was Johnny's Selected Seeds several years ago (and their source was Craig, I believe). If you'd like to try it from my saved seed some time, just holler.

Sounds like you're doing fairly well despite the durned TSWV.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #33
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I have to concur. Cherokee Purple is simply off the charts. Black Krim is very good but probably won't end up in my top 10.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #34
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Will do, Suze...

My Omar's Lebanese plants (as well as Cuostralee') were set out about a month later in mid-April than the rest of the lot. They were very last minute additions started from seed and set out when they were about 3 inches tall. They really looked small when taken from their 6 oz coffee cups.

I have had no problems with fruit set on anything, including the BW Sudduth's this year. It has been HOT here starting in April, but the humidity hasn't been that consistantly bad yet. 8)

You need to try Omar's, the size of the fruits is really something to behold. I could tell they were going to be large just by watching how fast the green ones grew.

I would indeed be interested in some of your CP seeds and can swap you some of mine if you're interested. Mine look exactly like the ones shown in Carolyn's Book.

DrR
Old July 3, 2006   #35
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default July 3 Update

Suze:
I cut into the Omar's Lebanese today. A little on the watery side, but very good. The first slice off of the bottom pretty much covered a slice of bread. The water is probably me...I've had to water my plants pretty often these days due to hot and dry weather we've been having. Definitely a returner to the 'Pike Road Victory Garden' 8) for next year.

Ya'll have a good Fourth!

DrR