Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 2, 2015   #31
drew51
Tomatovillian™

OK, I can send the plants in the fall. I'll PM for your address. I had it, but just in case.
I would think where you are, you should get some nice poblano peppers. Here the environment is not ideal. Still I'm always up for a challange.
Raspberries take a while to produce well. They throw suckers, so you soon can have as many plants as you want. I remove many every year. Well you just cut them down. I'll go over care in the PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #32
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Ella, did those pepper seeds germinate for you?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #33
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Surprisingly they did. Took me a couple of tries though and they didn't like the way I normally start my seed. They didn't like the baggy method at all, which is what I normally use. Those molded up big time in about a week.

I found what I had to do was just take my seed starting mix, which doesn't have any peat in it and just sow the seed and every so often as I walked by and seen the pots dry, gave them a light misting with some hydrogen peroxide and water spray.

Took a bit of extra time , to me for them to germinate, but they did it.

One of the things I noticed when I did the second batch is that I candled the seed. I don't really know the terminology right off hand, but with the fresh seed, some of it looked like normal pepper seed when it had been dried. Those are the ones that germinated.

Some of the seed I noticed had where you could see like a green line growing around the seed coat. Almost like it was trying to germinate the seed inside of the pod, which I have had happen with lily type seed before, but had never seen it in a pepper. Now them ones didn't germinate.

Only thing I could figure out was maybe the seeds that were pre-germinating but hadn't sent out a radical yet, may have used up all its energy or it was such a shock being transplanted into a different environment that it killed them off. The pre-germinating ones, didn't mold on me. They just kinda turned a bit mushy and so I tossed them and the little bit of that soil out.

I'm getting ready to start a third batch, as I have alot of peppers I am going to have to compost. Too much rain, wet cold and other weather related problems here, my peppers are like severely stunted the ones I started early. I've given them food, love and attention and weeks and weeks later not even a hint of growth, so thankfully peppers barely produce like tomatoes through our heat and humidity but start producing like crazy in early fall. So I'll grow new plants and by the temps cool a bit that the blossoms won't drop I should have some nice green foliage.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #34
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Worth: whoa, those pepper pics... Awesome!

Drew51: Lovely berries. We have lots of raspberries here as well, and freezing is the usual how they're stored over winter. Picking and cleaning them can be a pain, with all the larvae that prefer raspberries as their primary nutrition...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #35
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Worth: whoa, those pepper pics... Awesome!

Drew51: Lovely berries. We have lots of raspberries here as well, and freezing is the usual how they're stored over winter. Picking and cleaning them can be a pain, with all the larvae that prefer raspberries as their primary nutrition...
Currently I don't have any larvae that attack my berries (knocking on wood)
The SWD fruit fly is in the area, but has yet to find me! So mine are whole and clean.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote