Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2015   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
AlittleSalt, did you plant any improved Porter tomatoes this year? If so, please tell me how much bigger they are than the regular Porter tomatoes.
The ones I planted are labeled Porter's Pride. They are exactly the same size as Porter. I am wondering if one variety was renamed just to sell more seeds? Porter is a good tasting tomato that does really well in hot dry conditions.

I don't see any difference in size or taste. When the plants were young, it did look like Porter's Pride was going to be larger, but they grew out of that. I'm still saving seeds of both. Maybe they will grow different next year?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #32
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

are the juliet tomato's all hybrids?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #33
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka and Sophies Choice for me.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #34
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Consistantly most productive "non cherry" tomato for me has been Momotaro.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #35
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Hoping that Salt will share some of his Porter seeds with me. The heat this summer has been hard on my non-irrigated garden.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #36
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Randy Gardner made a hybrid using my line of Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball crossed to a red disease tolerant tomato (Red 16G) he developed. I grew 3 plants in my garden in 2012 that produced 84+ pounds of tomatoes per plant. This would not be so unusual except that the plants got the same care as other varieties that produced my average of about 10 pounds per plant. How do I know 84+ pounds? Because I have an extra deep 5 gallon bucket that holds exactly 42 pounds of tomatoes. I filled that bucket up twice from each of the 3 plants.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #37
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
are the juliet tomato's all hybrids?
Yeah. Juliet is hybrid.
I don't know if there are more than one variety of Juliet.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #38
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Although I don't keep records of that type, Pink Honey is a good sized heart that starts early and keeps going all season for me. And I agree with the vote for Juliet F1. Last year in my greenhouse, Red Brandywine Landis Valley produced very well.
Old July 8, 2015   #39
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Fusion power, what has happened with that variety since 2012 and what did you think of the taste?
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #40
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to be trying several of these next year. Keep them coming! I really like the look of Tsar Kolokol and like hearts in general. Anyone have seeds for that one?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #41
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In my garden, this very season I have two that are the most productive than I have ever grown:

== AZOYCHKA : it has close to 30 fruits (guesstimate) right now and keeps setting more. The biggest one so far is the size of soft ball.

== WILLAMETTE; It is small fruiting. I would say good saladet type. The plant has truss after truss .. some close to 20 fruits. So maybe close to 60 fruits so far (guesstimate). .

Since I am growing both of them for the first time, it came as a surprise to me, when I compare them, eg, to KB with NO fruits yet.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #42
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple is probably our most productive heirloom.

But, if you subtract tomatoes lost between ripening on the plant, and purchase it might be Amana Orange.

Amana Orange ripens slowly for an heirloom, and there is very little loss. It is also a good producer.

It is too early to tell, but the new Margold, Marnero etc tomatoes (Gourmet hybrids) look like very good producers, and a well-known farmer in N Cal has told me he got 2X or more production compared to the heirlooms they are similar too.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #43
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh nice, thanks Fred! I had never heard of the Gourmet Hybrids but dang they do cost a pretty penny. How did yours perform? I seen in this thread you had them growing http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=34250&page=2 I think if I spend any extra money on seeds it will be for your new varieties, I almost donated 20$ yesterday but I keep convincing myself that maybe I should wait since I will have a newborn in the house by Oct/Nov. Then again, it is a dang good deal and I'm sure I will still find time to grow them all.

Gardeneer, looks like I will have to give Azoychka a try since multiple people are praising its production. Hoping it handles the heat/humidity here.
Old July 30, 2015   #44
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

They are pumping out the tomatoes. None ripe yet, though. They are also more resistant to pathogens compared to many of the the tomatoes around them.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #45
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Randy Gardner made a hybrid using my line of Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball crossed to a red disease tolerant tomato (Red 16G) he developed. I grew 3 plants in my garden in 2012 that produced 84+ pounds of tomatoes per plant. This would not be so unusual except that the plants got the same care as other varieties that produced my average of about 10 pounds per plant. How do I know 84+ pounds? Because I have an extra deep 5 gallon bucket that holds exactly 42 pounds of tomatoes. I filled that bucket up twice from each of the 3 plants.
Fingers crossed you have seeds for this cross? I grew Big Beef this year and it is a tomato machine. Not great tasting to me but makes good juice/sauce/salsa.