Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 11, 2017   #31
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Both tomato and pepper seedlings have been outdoors for some ten days now. Temps at night have been now lower than 50 degrees and a little rain on a couple of mornings. All are looking OK with exception of one out of three Yellow Brandywine plants. All others mentioned above have survived thus far. Peppers will be moved into 2 Gal. bag pots this weekend. I'm surprised how well the peppers did. I end up with some eight varieties of super hots while originally assuming I'd loose most of them. I was wrong and everyone of them survived blossoming into the beauties pictured below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings outdoors 1 (1 of 1).jpg (239.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings outdoors 2 (1 of 1).jpg (263.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings outdoors 3 (1 of 1).jpg (267.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings outdoors 4 (1 of 1).jpg (185.4 KB, 124 views)
KimchiMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #32
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

The super hot pepper list remains the same as I've lost none. Thinned them out and kept these stronger specimens. Leaves are broader now and plants taking shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pepper seedlings outdoors 5 (1 of 1).jpg (224.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Pepper seedlings outdoors 6 (1 of 1).jpg (219.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings outdoors 4 (1 of 1)-2.jpg (186.5 KB, 121 views)
Old March 11, 2017   #33
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Good looking peppers! What's the black leaf variety?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #34
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Oh! thanks for pointing that out dmforcier. The dark leaf alongside the green are both seedlings that came from a 'Purple Ghost' seed packet. Noticed when they broke soil surface that they were different colors and have remained so. I've read that the pepper itself is an unstable variety and the very color of the pepper can progress from that dark blue/purple back to red! I'm only keeping an open mind and giving the specimen a chance to flourish and do it's thing. We'll see what fruits come of it. Looking forward to it for sure.
Old March 12, 2017   #35
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Some black leaf varieties readily throw dark green sports. Sometimes the pods are the same between them. The black pod color is typically an intermediate state to the terminal ripe red, but sometimes not.

In terms of just plain ole "taste and heat" I have little regard for color variations. Nothing yet has come close to the base BJ, IME.** But treated as ornamentals, there are some lovely plants out there that are definitely worth growing, if just to see what happens.

** Exception: Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion is outstanding in it's own right, and AFAICT, stable.

- Will Rogers

Old March 17, 2017   #36
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimchiMonger View Post
...The dark leaf alongside the green are both seedlings that came from a 'Purple Ghost' seed packet. Noticed when they broke soil surface that they were different colors and have remained so. I've read that the pepper itself is an unstable variety and the very color of the pepper can progress from that dark blue/purple back to red!...
Plants are looking great KM. Not sure but the Purple Bhut (Ghost) was stable the few years I grew it. And yes, the fruit color progresses as you say. Pretty plant.

rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #37
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Great pics, keep it up!
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2017   #38
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

4/02/17 - Great shots rdback! What a yield and good looking one at that!

My plants continue growing with no losses to date. The tallest is the Black Tomato plant at around 18" which has been a long time and size coming from seed. Pictured below a few shots taken this Sunday afternoon. The super hot pepper plants are growing well in their new 2 gal. bags with the Orange Bonnet showing tiny peppers coming in!

Last edited by KimchiMonger; April 3, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old April 3, 2017   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

That is nice, KM.
I see your peppers are fruiting already. Mine ( sown on 1-19-17 and planted out about 10 days ago ) are just sitting there. On a second thought maybe they are just starting to grow. My tomatoes, started the same time, some are setting fruits and most have flowers.

A picture of some ornamental varieties in a container.

Second picture shows some eggplants ( front ) and pepper (in the back )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg March 30 - 2.jpg (147.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg March 30 - 3.jpg (151.1 KB, 78 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #40
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

04-08-17 - And we have lift off. Was so excited to see these two fruits say good morning while cleaning the plants. Planted these as seeds middle of January with plant measuring 30" today. Going through each of the plants to maintain single stem growth and removing suckers I was knocked over and into orbit when I finally saw these two little ones. The maddening part of this is I don't know which of two varieties it is! Being the first and tallest repotted plants it belongs to first order of seeds which included Scotch Bonnet Peppers, Chocolate Stripes Tomato, and Mountain Gold Tomato. Two very different looking specimens but at this stage I personally can't tell. They will either turn yellow or go red with black stripes and I can't wait to determine which. Lesson learned there is put the darn stake with name in the potted dirt and not some flimsy name tag that can fly away. Gotta love us amateurs.

My other set of tomatoes growing in a friend's community garden have no tags or stakes as she has it mapped out on a sheet. With these being in patio pots, I should of been more careful but won't make that mistake again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato Plants 4-7-17 (3) (1 of 1).jpg (168.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Plants 4-7-17 (4) (1 of 1).jpg (264.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by KimchiMonger; April 8, 2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old April 8, 2017   #41
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Cute little fuzzy. Looks great!

(go get a good look on your peppers and make sure i'm not seeing aphids....
a good blast with water will take them off if is happening) ...then a weekly spray....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #42
KimchiMonger
Tomatovillian™

Good catch oakley! Noticed a couple of the pests here and there. Leaves on those peppers are really big for such short four inch plants! I topped them off once and they've grown very green and strong so far. The tomatoes are doing better each day. A couple over 24" tall. This week was first time I sprayed them with Epsom salt diluted in water.

At this point I have a question for anyone willing to take a stab at this.

The pictured pair of tomatoes below are now an unknown variety as I mixed up tags on this one. I know it's either Chocolate Stripe or Mountain Gold as it belongs to the very first packet of seeds received. Not even sure if one can tell at this size but will appreciate any input. Won't be making this newbie mistake next year as the guess work has been torturous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Tomato 1 (1 of 1).jpg (210.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg New Tomato 2 (1 of 1).jpg (353.2 KB, 49 views)
Old April 16, 2017   #43
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Oh good. Did not want to cause alarm...but i take pics most mornings of my seedlings
and had no idea i had a problem until i was viewing at work by zooming it.

Under control now but those pesky aphids are so tiny. I just rub them off the leaves
between my fingers. Nearly destroyed my peppers. I caught them early.

Usually identifying will happen once a bit larger by process of elimination once larger
and ripe. Some might know at this point. I've made mix-ups over the years so many
times. I know my regulars by leaf and grow pattern and fruits...new varieties i take
special care and still mess it up sometimes.
No mistakes so far this year....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #44
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Oh, these beautiful pepper and tomato photos are giving me some serious envy. This is an unusually cold and wet winter/spring for most of Oregon. We are usually warmer and sunnier at this point. Way too cold and wet to work in the garden. At least, I have overwintered Swiss chard, collards, brassica florets and parsley to keep something green in the kitchen. Spring, where are you??!!
Old April 16, 2017   #45
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Spring, where are you??!!
I's down here in God's country, takin' the sun !!

Be around shortly.

- Will Rogers

Tags
germinating seeds , super hots in pots , tomatoes in pots , viparspectra led lighting